Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Istek K-12s in Istanbul...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaramaz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost, I'm actually pretty unstressed this year compared to when you saw me last year. The lise is a whole other world. The 5/26 class I mentioned is the worst I have! I highly recommend a hazirlik class for you! Try the lise at a koleji. I have a lovely time with my 11 Dil (the lise 3 kid who chose to study Ingilizce) and my preps.

I could easily stay another year or two, not stagnating. I've learned a lot from the other 3 teachers (turks) in my dept about teaching, about language. It's really pleasant, stimulating, calm.
daveryan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply Reply with quote

"Any teacher who has been unjustly and arbitrarily dismissed from a position through a lack of management control from above is right to feel outrage against a system which continues to allow madness to be the rule in many of the private schools in this country."

I was under the impression that you had been dismissed for physically assaulting a pupil. I hasten to point out that such behaviour, if true, would be sufficient to have you barred from teaching in most countries. and quite rightly. You would also be extremely fortunate to avoid criminal prosecution.

I have no idea of the individual circumstances of your case, nor, I hasten to add, am I really that interested. What I do know with absolute certainty, based solely on your previous rantings. Is that in my opinion you should not be allowed anywhere near children, wether in Turkey, Canada or anywhere else.

Strangely enough at one point I went through a stage of feeling rather sorry for you. I foolishly thought that posters such as Scott 47 were being unduly harsh. I now know better. You deserve neither pity nor sympathy. Do yourself a favour and return to the hole from whence you came.

Oh and by the way, whatever the comment about 'Listerine' meant (incidentally I prefer 'Absolut'), it might be as well to remember that the world is a fairly small place and one day we might meet.

Dave
ghost

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

quote: 'Oh and by the way, whatever the comment about 'Listerine' meant (incidentally I prefer 'Absolut'), it might be as well to remember that the world is a fairly small place and one day we might meet. (quote)

So with one brush you condemn another behaviour and with the other you yourself propose engaging in behaviour itself which would be termed 'GBH' in Britain....double standards...and you are the one suggesting the carrying out of criminal behaviour. Nasty stuff.

A light remark about 'listerine' has engendered such ire in one that all self control is lost. So why do you have so many suggestions about how others should comport themselves since you yourself are fuming about one remark and react with such venom?

Suggestions about how one should conduct one's life are also unwelcome from pseudo experts. And perhaps it did not occur to you that this poster has no more intentions of working with children in the future. It was a learning experience not to be repeated. Three strikes and out...was enough to convince this poster that the requisite nerves are not in place for that kind of teaching, at least not in this country and doubtfully in other countries as well...after all kids are kids.

Since you yourself have no idea about the circumstances leading to the dismissal of a teacher, jumping to conclusions and painting that teacher with a negative brush is unfair and unjust.

Some of us are overseas in the first place because we find our original 'green and pleasant lands' rather full of unsavoury, pretentious characters.

Unless you have walked in another person's shoes it is unwise to jump to conclusions which have good chances of being erroneous.
daveryan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Get some help!
ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Anger management Reply with quote

Quote: 'Get some help.' End quote.

You are the one who needs help.

There is a guy in the Altrincham/Timperley area, not far from some of the places you are familiar with. His name is Jeff Norman and he used to work at the Manchester Royal Infirmary.

He helps people with anger management. He is not a professional psychiatrist, but his methods have brought fruitful results for some irascible subjects.

Part of the method used is taking the 'angry people' out on long jogs on the moors (hills) in that area of Lancashire. The initial distances covered are modest, but eventually the participants work up to about 15 miles covered in a couple of hours. The participants become very fit within about 6 months if they follow the program on a regular basis.

When out on the moors in all sorts of weather the participants are allowed to scream at the tops of their lungs and vent as much as they want against all and sundry. This allied to the running and physical exertions helps to curb the nefarious effects of anger.

Finding therapeutic outlets for anger is very good, because if not checked (anger), the condition can lead to a whole series of deleterious effects to the body, including high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries. These conditions and others reduce lifespan and quality of life.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, ghost, I didn't think our Dave was suffering from severe anger issues-- I thought he was just frustrated by your constant dismissive and condemnatory comments regarding all things Turkish and young. Given that he is keen to come to Turkey and has a lot of experience with troubled kids, I think he is tired of having his dreams and interests dragged through the mud. Constant negativity that you don't agree with can really frustrate you. It may have been your experience but it is not the only experience.

Dave, when you're in Turkey, contact me if you want. I'm a happy camper. Very Happy
ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, maybe. But the individual in question has no right to make spurious allegations about this poster's future and past as a teacher as he has nothing to go on beyond what he sees on this forum. Some of the things mentioned were defamatory in nature and inexcusable.

The guy obviously has a very thin skin since he took to heart an innocent remark made 'en passant' by this poster.

He should be the one concerned about his future in this profession. Sensitive people do not usually last long in the rough and tumble world of teaching, especially not in these parts.
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there has been a thread about the worst thing about teaching. If not then my answer must be the negativity of so-called teachers.
daveryan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: "Sensitive souls such as I" Reply with quote

Laughing Got it in one Yaramaz! Incidentally have any of you come across something called the 'Callan method'. I am in the process of signing up for a short stint working in in one of their London schools.....It is certainly a radical departure from anything I have learnt or experienced in my short TEFL career to date, though hopefully it will provide me with sufficient funds to join you all in the near future....You never know Ghost I might even show you my wild-flower collection.

Cheers
Dave
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, Dave, I was hoping to share my teaspoon collection, and show everyone how to knit doileys.... We're all sensitive souls here! We mustn't be ashamed to admit it!

Very Happy

BTW have heard of Speed Callan but only in Polish lingo schools. I never taught it but a friend was hired a while back. Not sure how its going but I understand it's pretty regimented, very Call and Response. If you do it, let me know what you think. I'm curious.

Good luck!

PS Just got back from a brilliant night out with my adult students... after we had 2 hours of stimulating, varied discussions, three of the guys and I went to a funky yet traditional cafe with live music--- some pretty wild and intense traditional baglama/drum stuff, with the whole basement room up dancing and singing... It was a brilliant atmosphere, and such events, such moods, are not rare or forced but very real... and this is why I love living here! I really think you'll like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: