Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alive and well iin Qatar (where is that again...?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertpablo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Alive and well iin Qatar (where is that again...?) Reply with quote

After reading these posts for some time, my general feeling is that Qatar is not a real "hot spot". I am not writing this as a 22 year-old backpacker looking for good times and travel the world as an English teacher.

I have almost that many years experience, shy by about 3 or 4 and am looking to the Middle East as a last gig. To be accompanied by family (wife, two sons in elementary school).

So a couple of questions: (well, many, but I will limit it to a couple).

Would my wife and kids not die from boredom while I am working or are there things for them to do? Schools? Alternative work possibilities ie. hotel business, editing, tourism, volunteer opportunities....or other things for my wife to participate in?

Second. What about the "Bridge Program". I have been directed to look into it but don't see much after doing a search.

Qatar is a word that happens to represent a country yet I don't think most high school students in the States or Canada would recognize it as such. Is it all about QP or is there really life there?

I applaud all of you who are there. Just trying to do the best by my family so looking for information without slings or arrows.

Thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bridge program is quite a small program which prepares students to go abroad to study. I have two friends who have taught there and they still recommend the place. I suggested it because I know that they treat their teachers pretty well, have good housing and benefits package, and have generally good students with a goal - smallish classes. They never advertise though and tend to hire Americans with your credentials. I assume that at ITESM you have been teaching academic English.

And... no... Qatar is not the most scintillating place in the Gulf. Cool If you tend to spend most of your free time with your family, that wouldn't be a big deal. BUT, the downside is that your wife may find it rather lonely... kids tend to find their level in school faster than some of the wives. If she is gregarious and ready to mix with many other nationalities, it will be easier for her.

VS
robertpablo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, once again, thanks for your reply.

And I do agree. I am not so worried about the boys but if my wife is not happy then probably none of us will be happy. So I was wondering about Qatar and yes probably the four of us can entertain ourselves about anywhere.

My reason for taking a family to the Gulf States is to put a cap on my working life sooner than I can do in Mexico. Yes, I have and am teaching academic English with ITESM and am pretty much pleased with my students, classes, and the system.

But. Why would I work here for another ten years when I might be able to do something else for half that time and walk away with the same thing, and maybe even more by exposing the boys to a different culture? Not to mention some decent vacations.

OK. Thanks VS and I will let you all know how the chase goes. I think TESOL Arabia is a great idea but it will cost a lot of pesos. They spend just fine in Mexico but cart them outside and well, it gets expensive.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si... muchos pesos...

BTW... Dubai does have a hostel which is relatively cheap, but the traffic getting to the venue may be an issue... you can check on that with people on the UAE board if and when you decide to go.

VS
robertpablo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it appears that the hotel or hostel or space under a bridge will be the least of my problems
A round trip from DF (Mexico City) to Dubai is at the cheapest I can find right now, 1650 USD.

I don't even want to think how much that is in pesos.

And I was thinking to buy two tickets. Ooops. Well, probably something will break and can maybe make TESOL Arabia.

That's a bunch of money for two people for a 3 day weekend in the UAE. Maybe I can get a job without being at the conference, much as I would like to be...
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alive and well iin Qatar (where is that again...?) Reply with quote

robertpablo wrote:
Would my wife and kids not die from boredom while I am working or are there things for them to do? Schools? Alternative work possibilities ie. hotel business, editing, tourism, volunteer opportunities....or other things for my wife to participate in?

It depends almost entirely on how resourceful and optimistic you/they/the family is/are. Those who are motivated do just fine. Others do not last. Everyone who comes to the Gulf brings two buckets...

Quote:
Second. What about the "Bridge Program". I have been directed to look into it but don't see much after doing a search.

PM me with an e-mail address and your real name.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar still seems to have to reputation of that of 5 years ago or so i.e. one of the dullest places on earth....it's not THAT bad! As with any country there are ups and downs but this can be a good place to save money...

There has been so much investment here, and with that a whole variety of nationalities have come to this country. I personally would give it a try...Is your wife by any chance Spanish speaking??? (I just assumed from the reference to Mexico) Well if so there is a large Spanish speaking community here...Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico and Spain....most of the people work in the oli & gas industry and some are football/basketball players here....

Feel free to ask any questions....don't know much about the Academic Bridge Programme as I work for one of the ministries but I have heard that they get paid pretty well (apparently) Very Happy
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about Qatar. It seems to be the Gulf state you hear least about. I always thought it was somewhere between KSA (horrible) and Dubai (OK). Apparently, you can have a beer in Doha and I know they have major international sports events there. It doesn't sound too bad to me.
Is it like Bahrain? It must be better than Kuwait or the Magic Kingdom.
Reality check

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Good gig for english teachers Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been living here in Qatar for over three years. It is a good deal (financially) for ESL teachers. You will have a lot of opportunity to travel to interesting places. There is a large western expat community here, some clubs, bars, sports club etc. There is not much to do for teen age kids. They pretty much hang out in the compound which can be very boring. There is no park or playground in most of the compounds. There is also a schooling problem here, all good schools are full to the capacity and they have a year long wait list to get. Even mediocre schools are full and almost all of them are charging outrageous fees just because they can.

It is not like Bahrain, but less restricted than KSA or Kuwait. There are some serious human rights violations visible to everybody with open eye. That can get very depressing at times. Also if your wife is working, make sure she gets a job as foreign hire, that way she will have a decent salary. If she gets a job as local hire, (meaning the employer did not sponsor her) the salary is horrible, usually no benefit and second class treatment.

Hope it helps. Good luck!
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
I always thought it was somewhere between KSA (horrible) and Dubai (OK).

That's quite a range. Smile

I prefer Doha to Dubai. Although the traffic here is challenging, outside of rush hours you can get from anywhere in Doha to anywhere in just a few minutes -- unless you get whacked. That's a major advantage over Dubai, IMO.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer Doha to Dubai for many reasons...including traffic Exclamation ..once again Doha is very much up and coming, there are downsides as Reality Check mentioned .....but on the whole people prefer Doha to other Gulf countries. Lots of of people I know left the UAE and Kuwait to come here as they prefer the country......salaries also tend to be higher here (in most cases)
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar ? Isn't that in some cluster near Epsilon Centauri ?
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: re-op Reply with quote

I took my wife and son to Qatar...it didn't work out for me, but that wasn't the place.
There are loads of opps for expat wives from working in schools to real estate etc.The important thing is that she can make some friends.
For young kids it's great but for teenagers it could be a bit boring...the last thing you want is a Doha brat on your hands.
I'd go and check it out as the worst that could happen is that you just leave.
Good luck.
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it didn't work out for me
that's because you were in the pub with me Laughing

Now that I am older and none the wiser(married) if I had a young family I would like to go back to Doha if the job was right. I do like the lifestyle.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is that everyone suggests that all of the Emirates is Dubai? Most of the jobs are NOT in Dubai and the rest of the Emirates is NOT like Dubai. Personally I would never have considered a job in Dubai as I thought it was too big and crowded and pompous even 10 years ago. Laughing

I wouldn't have liked Doha for the same reason that I didn't like Kuwait... you leave the city and there is nothing but rather unattractive flat desert. In the UAE, it isn't far to find some scenery... and in Oman, you usually only have to look out your window.

But... it all comes down to personal priorities and interests. That said, I could have lasted a contract in Doha, while I don't think I could have lasted one in Dubai... ever.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: