Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linguaphone Language School

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMMG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Linguaphone Language School Reply with quote

Hi

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the above school?

Thanks.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Linguaphone Reply with quote

What $$ are they offering?

What other benefits are they offering? (Reimbursement of airfare/s, medical insurance, holidays, cost of medical examination, housing allowance, plus, plus.)

On the down side what hours are you required to work? (Are you on call 24/7/52 requiring you to purchase a mobile phone, plus, plus?)

You will find that you will need around S$4k pm to live with any form of a decent lifestyle. Be guaranteed that anything under S$4k will be a very sad lifestyle for you.

Accommodation will cost you around S$2k pm and utilities and food will cost more and do not forget travel (bus / train) is over this figure.

Krakatoa.
pkers07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wonder when some people in this forum make a mole out of a mountain when it comes to giving information.
My wife just came from Singapore few weeks back.She told me accomodation is not that expensive as hyped in this forum.One can get a one-bedroom flat btw 400-500 depending on the area.Cost of living is not that high if one doesn't eat out in expensive restaurants often.
All in all,one can save around USD800-1000/per month if one is on a salary of S$3000/month.
So please don't scare people away because of your extravagant lifestyle.
I rest my case.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Linguaphone Reply with quote

Be rest assured that this cheap type of accommodation is in what is called HDB (Housing Development Board) units which are designed for those who are lowly paid. Having said that, I am fully aware that the one point of concern is "SECURITY" and even the locals are fully aware of faults in Singapore. Yes! There are those who get through the net and do dastardly actions and an area where cheap rent is available is possibly in one of those undesirable areas.

It was illegal for a landlord to rent out the unit to another tennant. However, it may have changed over the past year or so.

I will guarantee you, the reader, that you will be skating thin on S$3K pm or less. Other people do not agree with most of those who post a rosy picture of some where they may not have lived for more than a year.

It is interesting to note that even "The Straits Times" (if I remember right where I read the news) within the past 6 or so months has had interesting news items on the high cost of housing and how it is affecting Singapore's business.

To the poster, how many prisons are there in Singapore? What is the population of Singapore? How many workers are brought in to Singapore to do building and gardening work plus other forms of social activity?

To any one who is considering working in Singapore, you must consider all aspects of your choice and not the "clean and green" visual aesthetics of this island.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: