Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

contact hours (JET teachers)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tres Belle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: contact hours (JET teachers) Reply with quote

Hi, how many hours do your guys teach per week? contact hours and office hours?

Thanks
Mothy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm supposed to be at school 36 hours a week but I added up how many hours my supervisor actually tells me to be there and it adds up to closer to 38, but I'm not gonna be too picky about that. Especially when you consider that of those 38 (or 36 depending on if you trust my contract or my math) hours maybe only 16 or so are actually spent in the classroom- or in a classroom where I'm teaching a lesson I prepared. Occasionally I'll do some human tape recorder stuff or things like that, but not a significant amount. So the other 20 or so hours a week are spent making lesson plans or just trying to find any way I can to stave off boredom. All in all a pretty nice gig.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It varied from school to school for me as a JET. The lowest contact hours was I think 12 a week one year at one of my schools.

The highest was between 25 and 30.

But I'm using one period equals one teaching hour, and the high ones were elementary 45minute classes the rest were 50minute junior high classes.

But most JETs don't have a whole lot of lesson planning or material development or grading or really much else going on other than just walking into the class. Maybe think of a game here or there. JTEs (Japanese Teacher of English) really do the bulk of the work.
maya.the.bee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JET= ESID....generally, in my area, JETs work M-F 8:30am-4:15pm

so, with that out of the way...i'm contracted to be at work 35 hrs a week with 3 or 4 classes a day. i actually plan my lessons, so the office hours come in handy & i'm trying to study japanese when my LPs are done. My hours and conditions fall in the middle....i know some JETs that work more (8am-6pm, more when needed) and some that work less. but most have similar hours to mine.
kita

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I officially work from 8:20 to 4:30 as do all the other JETs employed by my BOE. Usually 4 or 5 class periods a day (about 45 min per class). I work in elementary school, so I also have to prepare materials and do lesson planning in my free time. I stay late about once a week or so to catch up if I'm behind with lesson planning or for a student related activity. Lunch also sort of counts as work for me because I'm required to eat with with different classes each day.
Quibby84

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Junior High you will have a lot more free time and a lot less lesson planning. My husband teachs Elementry and he sometimes has to make lessons on the weekends..but I teach Junior High and once 4:00 hits, my day is over. I have time to make lessons during the day, I AT LEAST have one free period where I can do whatever I want.
I work 8:20 to 4:00
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: