Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On line Masters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justbecause

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: On line Masters Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend me any on line master courses, which are relatively cheap. Smile?

i'm interested in doing linguistics and would like to do a course that would increase my employment prospects and salary.

also it's important that the course is interesting and worthwhile.

tha very much
Songbird

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently doing mine through University of New England in Australia. Enjoying it, but with 20 hours study and 18 of work it's keeping me busy!

Details found here- http://www.une.edu.au/lcl/maal/index.php
Justbecause

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

though the link for USQ doesn't work, which is disappointing

i'm thinking of going to Japan/South Korea to work and the university of Birminham has regional centres there, so that may be a good option
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justbecause wrote:
thanks

though the link for USQ doesn't work, which is disappointing

i'm thinking of going to Japan/South Korea to work and the university of Birminham has regional centres there, so that may be a good option

Sorry, it is: http://www.usq.edu.au/handbook/current/edu/MAPL.html
Miyazaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Southern Queensland doesn't have a very good program.

In fact, many Australian universities "dummy" down their master's degrees for foreign students.

Stick to programs in the U.K, U.S. or Canada and do a dissertation component. Also, do a residency - even if it's for only 1 year - as it lends credibility to your program and school. Doing a residency is also good for networking and the face-to-face contact helps with the learning process.

It's well within your interest to avoid Australian schools since they have diluted the master's degree to just 8 on-line/distance courses that do not require any original thesis research.

In my previous position, where I screened resumes for my school, any applicants with Australian Master of Applied Linguistics degrees (Univeristy of Southern Queensland, University of New South Whales, etc.) went straight into the garbage bin.

Some countries and universities in Asia do not recognize distance obtained degrees (i.e., some schools in Korea, Japan and most in Taiwan).

So, before dropping $15,000 for an online degree in Australia that does not require a thesis, make sure you educated yourself of the pitfalls of such degrees.
chiquitita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently doing an MA in Applied Linguistics at USQ. I'm doing the course by distance.

I'm only in my second semester and my experience so far has been very good. It's not perfect, but I don't think any course is. There is a lot of support from my professors and other external students. If I want, I can go to Australia and do a semester (or more) on campus. I can also participate in exchange and study abroad programs close to where I currently live if I would like an on-campus experience.

Contrary to Miyazaki's comments, I haven't experienced any evidence of dumbing down for 'foreign students'. I guess s/he means non native English speakers? There are a number of non native English speakers in my current course. Their level of English is of a very high standard and they do not require anyone to 'dummy' anything down for them.

The MA at USQ can be completed as coursework or research. So actually, a dissertation is required if you choose the research option. You can also do honours and a dissertation is also required if you choose this path.

Have a look around at different programs and decide what is right for you.

Best of luck.
Justbecause

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again

i'm going to shop around as much as possible, i don't really want to do a residency fro a year though at the moment, as i wanted to do an online masters so i could travel at the same time, however that may change.

the course content all seem pretty similiar though
illegalme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I certainly hope you binned a resume from someone who claimed to be from the University of New South Whales[/b, Miyazaki.

Unless of course you meant the University of New South [b]Wales
, in which case you lost a candidate who has attained a qualification from one of the top institutions in the world, your loss really.

To the OP, I'm doing a lot of research into Masters degrees at the moment in Australia (and have applied for one in Education at the University of Melbourne for next year, which is where I currently study). You need to consider whether you want to do a professional Masters, or an academic Masters (one that includes a thesis). A thesis is not essential to a teaching career, it can improve chances of gaining university positions in your home country though.

Online study seems to have good points and bad points. I personally could not cope doing coursework online, but a lot of people find it works for them, so do what you feel comfortable with.

Also, I'm of the opinion that a degree is what you make of it, do not be motivated by people who say they will 'bin' your resume simply because it contains a higher degree obtained through online study, or because of country of origin (how ridiculous!!).MOD EDIT
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please address your comments to the message and not the messenger.
Justbecause

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

illegalme wrote:

Online study seems to have good points and bad points. I personally could not cope doing coursework online, but a lot of people find it works for them, so do what you feel comfortable with.

Also, I'm of the opinion that a degree is what you make of it, do not be motivated by people who say they will 'bin' your resume simply because it contains a higher degree obtained through online study, or because of country of origin (how ridiculous!!).MOD EDIT

well, online study is surely only going to become more popular as the internet becomes more accessible around the world, i'm not going to lose any sleep over a few institutions that may look down their noses at online study
ddeubel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone taken or heard of the Masters in Education TESL from Framinghman State College in Massuchussets? I 'm looking for info. and though not really online, they have run courses in numerous countries with foreign nationals at reasonable cost.

Here's info from a course tentatively scheduled in Korea.
http://fscku.wetpaint.com

DD
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some info here, if you search for it. Lots of mixed info from what I remember, not the best working conditions in Poland. You seem to be at their mercy until the degree is over.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUNIBER
www.funiber.org is cheap

EDIT: I don't recommend funiber at all!. After 11 months of waiting, my mom gets my degree today, which
1. hasn't been signed by the king of Spain like they said, and
2. was issued in January.

In Spain, they put DOB and place of birth. I was born in CA, USA, HOWEVER, according to my lovely MA, I was born in Bagua, Peru. Which, is some dinky town in the Amazons that I've never heard of let alone been to.. HOW they screwed this up is beyond me, especially since I JUST gave them a copy of my passport in July 2009.

It's not a good programme. They accuse people of plagarism and then have them pay to have their theses re-read. I fail twice, not becuase of plagarism, just because. Took 1.5 years to pass my thesis, another year to get my degree and now I have my degree, an they put your place of birth on it. And that info is wrong, so now , my degree isn't valid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: