Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USA election
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: USA election Reply with quote

Having exhausted the non-existent UK election subject, I was wondering what was the mood in the USA. I'm the outsider this time, and from the outside, I see that Hillary seems to have the upper hand. Is this good? As outsiders, we only get to see the international aspect of US presidents, rather than the domestic.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see Gore throw a real spanner into the works and declare his candidacy as he takes the Nobel Prize later this week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MELEE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think the majority is ready to swing back to the democrates, I worry that if Hillary ends up the candidate, some people who would vote for the democrates won't because she's a women and we've never had a women president. I think we are ready for a women president, but we are ready to have a non-republican president more. Does that make sense?
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think we are ready for a women president

Could be interesting! I think I have made clear on a previous thread my admiration for a certain UK female leader, but many people expected her to appoint more women to the cabinet and have a more sympathetic touch. In fact, it was just the opposite! It used to be said that she was the "Best man in the cabinet". So, beware!
sarliz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Obama? I'm from Chicago, and everyone there is nutso over him, but I'm curious if he's visible at all on the international scene. I personally think he's awesome.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he big outside of Chicago? I would've thought he's too inexperienced to be known internationally. Not that international visibility would make a difference in US elections mind you.

Clinton-Obama ticket maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...hard to say -- too early. plus, i haven't watched TV in 15 years. so, who am i to know? look what happened to Kerry? the two groups that killed him were suprising (?) the Hispanic vote in the Pensacola / Pan Handle area...and the pro-life Christians of Ohio.

so, you never know.

Hillary would make a good VP
Obama would make a good ambassador
John Edwards, Attorney general
Mit Romney, Secretary of State
Guliani, Homeland Security

i agree with Guy, there's a Dark Horse out there. probably a Senator from the South, or Governor from the Central Mountains (Colorado area)

....i come from Northern Friesan parents, where we don't tell anyone our party affiliation in public, not even your sister-in-law. this is the Northern part of Holland, not the Southern part near Amsterdam...

cycle-wise, will probably be a scholarly-gentleman type or maybe a West Coaster.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Clinton-Obama would be a good team, but sadly am not sure they're electable.

My parents are prime examples, sadly.

Illicit se* is worse than violence, war, international havoc, etc...

Remember, it was PURITANS with GUNS who initially settled the country.

I'm afraid there are still many, many of them around - and that my (otherwise beloved) parents are among them.
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama would get destroyed in the Mountain States, ....i think the Dem party knows this. might do OK in the South this time, he'd lose New England and the Midwest, minus Chicago. And, i think Latinos like Presidents like Kennedy, Nixon, etc...they tend to vote Conservative White "Old-School"...
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I used to live in Limburg Shocked Also a bit different than the North of your country, I think Shocked Would you give them back to the Flemish??!! Very Happy
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Latinos like

Bill Richardson still in the hunt?
MO39

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Is he big outside of Chicago? I would've thought he's too inexperienced to be known internationally. Not that international visibility would make a difference in US elections mind you.

I watched a lot of TV this past summer while vegetating (physically) in the most boring suburb in the States, mostly reruns of Law and Order, Mystery! (on PBS) and lots of political news. I think that Obama has become quite well-known in the US in the past few months, but I don't know how that would translate into votes come next November.
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...haha Smile Spiral, that's funny, but true. The US is still very traditional, conservative, minus the Coasts.

On the other hand, any Republican that says he's bringing the troops home his first week, will win. Iraq / Middle East Policy will be ahuge factor, because it won't be any better in a year....i doubt.
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Would you give them back to the Flemish??!! Very Happy

i doubt it Smile it's small enough as it is up there in Northern Holland.
My sister is in Sneek, married to a Dutchman, ...she's a US Expat. she likes it, tough winters though.

i remember seeing you lived there, with your wife's job??

you ever coming to the US?? or, you can't take the strip-mall Dunkin Donuts society?

i barely can, heading to S.Korea with the family for a few years.
MELEE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MO39 wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

Apart from Dave's I spend a lot of time on a forum for parents of twins. It's mostly people from the US and all types, the only thing we all have in common is we all have twins. (and internet access;) ) There's one women on there who is known as a prime example of the religious right. (In her eye's W's doing a GREAT! job) Her opinion about Obama? She said, "No way will we ever have a MUSLIM president of the US. He can say he's Church of Christ, but we all know the truth."

The scarry thing is I think there are quite a few Americans who think like her. Shocked

Quote:

I watched a lot of TV this past summer while vegetating (physically) in the most boring suburb in the States, mostly reruns of Law and Order,
--If you evern miss that you can watch 4 episodes of Law and Order in a row on Sundays on Cannal 5! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: