Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in a high school

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mozilla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Teaching in a high school Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience/horror stories about this? I'm considering this line of work, but don't know if it is wortht the hassle. Anyone got any tips?
brian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall that there was a guy who posted a while ago after getting fired from a high school job. He wasn't a very happy camper to say the least. Not because he had been fired but because he was so stupid as to loose what was otherwise a great job.

He got fired as he was going home for his breaks which was not allowed. Apparently no one actually told him this until it was too late. Therefore his advice was to ensure that you determine what the job requirements are before you sign on. I take it that he would have been happy to have oblige with this requirement - he just didnt know about it.

Large class sizes and apathetic students can of course be a concern, but provided you have experience you would likely have a positive experience. It gets you out of the kiddie bushiban scene!

Take care to ensure that you are legal as my understanding that the employment of foreigners within government schools has not been approved yet! Other than that, worth a go if the hours and money are right.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is currently a Work Advisory/ Warning pending about working in public schools on Taiwan.
The vast majority of teacher's doing so outside of Taipei have been hired through an illegitimate 3rd party. They have been lied to and cheated out of their pay, forced to work in deplorable conditions and had their tax with holdings stolen by the school through the third party.
Do not work for public schools in Taiwan unless you want to do it for free and illegally.
A.
brian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual Aristotle has gone overboard.

Yes he is right that much (if not all) of the work within government schools is illegal, and unfortunately as third party recruiters are involved in getting teachers, the teachers dont actually realize the vulnerability of their position. This is clearly wrong and something that is worth bringing to the attention of anyone considering this type of work.

I dont agree that the working conditions are deplorable. They are far better than on the mainland (for anyone that is moving over to Taiwan from there) and have improved a great deal over the last several years such that many classrooms now have air-conditioning etc. Class sizes are still ridiculously high but the Chinese teachers manage.

You will almost certainly get paid for the work that you do, however there are the standard risks involved with working here illegally. I personally wouldnt recommend working illegally.

A possible option would be to work for privately owned high schools, but you would need to check the legal status of each as you go. Might be best to just stick with the bushibans unless you have a real averion to this type of work.

Finally, dont pay too much attention to Aristotle's Work Advisory Warnings. They are just something that he whips up on his computer at home.
unclealex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: High School Jobs Reply with quote

It's true and bizarre that it's illegal to work in a public high school.
The same goes for teaching in a private senior high school.
I taught at a private senior high school last year, but didn't know
it was illegal until after I arrived from Canada when I applied for my
ARC under the auspices of a third party:a cram school in ChungHua.
This is one instance of the foul corruption going on in this make- believe
country. I'm glad to have returned to South Korea to teach English,
where it's far more legit and secure to work as a foreign national.
Needless to say, on the peninsula we get our return airfare and living
accommodation covered by our employer, we are taxed only 5% of our
monthly salary, receive 50% medical insurance coverage, and are
awarded a severance pay equivalent to our monthly salary upon completion of our contract. Taiwan is a place for the naiive or adventerous
to teach in. I can't imagine why on earth people want to continue teaching
there with all the balony going on. Rolling Eyes
Fortigurn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: High School Jobs Reply with quote

unclealex wrote:
It's true and bizarre that it's illegal to work in a public high school.
The same goes for teaching in a private senior high school.
I taught at a private senior high school last year, but didn't know
it was illegal until after I arrived from Canada when I applied for my
ARC under the auspices of a third party:a cram school in ChungHua.
This is one instance of the foul corruption going on in this make- believe
country. I'm glad to have returned to South Korea to teach English,
where it's far more legit and secure to work as a foreign national.
Needless to say, on the peninsula we get our return airfare and living
accommodation covered by our employer, we are taxed only 5% of our
monthly salary, receive 50% medical insurance coverage, and are
awarded a severance pay equivalent to our monthly salary upon completion of our contract. Taiwan is a place for the naiive or adventerous
to teach in. I can't imagine why on earth people want to continue teaching
there with all the balony going on. Rolling Eyes

So... tell me about Korea. Shocked
killian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: working conditions of TWN high schools Reply with quote

i have worked in taiwan highschools. sucked. everyone one of em.

first and foremost, sixty kids are way too many. conversation class? seriously? yep.

textbooks? why? it is a conversation class. if you need copies just tell the office. they'll print em up for you (sometimes correctly and sometimes not). such is fine WHEN the copier IS working.

the worst part of it is the learning environment. watching taiwanese teachers orate is stupifying. every classroom i have seen here on the HS level as big windows so that everyone in the hallway can see what is going on. you can see it all. the teachers roost up behind their podiums, put on the mircophone and drone away. the students make zero attempt to even appear to feign interest. strictly one way. no checking to see if the kids are even listening. heads on desk and teacher droning away: such is the academic environment they culture in. it would seem any joy of discoverey is beat out of them. yes, they still have corporal punishment here.

the working conditions in taiwanese high schools are bad.

i,too, have worked in china. in china, the peasants, at least still have enthusiam for learning. can't really say i see alot of that in taiwan highschools. as you know, enthusiastc students make alot of bad things magically bearable.
Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: To agree with Killian... Reply with quote

Dear Teachers,

I taught one year (illegally?) at a private junior/senior high school in southern Taiwan.

The seventh- and eighth-graders were cute, rowdy and a lot of fun--most of the time.

However, I did not "click" well with the older kids. A lot of it may depend on your personality and teaching style.

Give it a try for a month or two. If it works out, fine. But just like having private classes--don't depend on it!

Taylor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: