Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

online volunteering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sea turtle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: online volunteering Reply with quote

Hi! I have been checking out this forum for a couple of months now but this is my first post. I am wondering if anyone has any information about online volunteering--either in esl or literacy programs. My situation is this: I am a Canadian currently working in the US and I travel a lot with my job, which is completely unrelated to teaching. I have a university degree (NOT in esl or education) and am planning to get my CELTA certificate sometime in the next year. I am planning to do some more volunteering after I leave my present job and before/after CELTA course, but would really like to get involved in some way now. As I mentioned, I travel a lot with my job, so I thought online volunteering might be the way to go? So far I have had little success finding anything except for an organization called Language Revolution (www.languageguide.org). Anyone know it? Thanks everyone for any advice or leads you can send my way!
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm a bit thick-headed, but just what is online volunteering?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this can be known as ementoring. I did this through my company a few years ago on a literacy project, exchanging emails once or twice a week. Although it's not exactly hands on, it's a nice scheme to get involved in. Try putting ementor volunteer through Google. This brings up a few organisations you could take a look at.
sea turtle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: re: what is online volunteering? Reply with quote

To tell you the truth I'm not sure what to call it, but what I mean by "online volunteering" is volunteering via internet. I've also heard terms like "teletutoring", "cyber service", "virtual volunteering", etc. Apparently one can volunteer to help esl students and/or esl groups in this way. My guess is that an example of this would be tutoring an esl/efl student by email. I don't know much more about it, hence my post. Maybe someone else can better clarify?
Albulbul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: volunteer ? Reply with quote

Let me see if I get this. You do not know what "online volunteering" is, but you want to do it ?

Remember what they learn in the army - NEVER VOLUNTEER.

If it is worth doing then you should be paid for it.
whitjohn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much flapping from people who don't know what you are talking about.
I began volunteering for a website in Feb 2002 editing their English web pages and have enjoyed the work tremendously. I made friends with my "controllers" and even went back to China in Dec 2002 to meet them. While there, they were absolutely wonderful to me and even paid my hotel room. I met with members of their staff and the Boss himself. If you want to volunteer for some nice folks go to http://www.travelchinaguide.com/ My contact is a young woman named Angel Lee. She is delightful!
Good luck and happy volunteering
John
sea turtle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Katy and John for your ideas and suggestions -- much appreciated! Also, good to know there are still people out there who believe that sometimes things are worth doing even if they don't have a paycheck attached.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: