Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why not India?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Why not India? Reply with quote

Why doesn't there seem to be an EFL market in India? Never in my long hours of job website scanning have I seen one for India. I would imagine it might have something to do with British colonialism, that English is widely spoken by many natives who can teach it to others. But really I don't know.
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: British Colonialism? Reply with quote

I imagine the fact of Britsh colonialism had very little to do with the lack of ESL jobs in India today.Well,perhaps,indirectly.But you hit on the other reason in your post.English is already widely spoken and they have their own English teachers.Most people in this business just do not consider it a viable choice at all...the job market is just not there.Most people in this business do not even consider it for job purposes...if they want to go,they just visit it for a vacation or whatever,which is fine.Years ago,the Peace Corps was there(Jimmy Carter's mother was probably the most famous Peace Corps volunteer there),but I don't think the Peace Corps is there anymore.
zakiah25

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: India Reply with quote

You could try VSO or the British Council, they place ads from time to time. I have seen job ads for India previously, one in Kerala and one in New Delhi but if I recall the salary is understandably, quite low, perhaps even more so than Thailand. Recently, there was an ad on this website for a job in the Maldives (islands situated just below India).
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Teachers for India Reply with quote

India, like the Phillipines, exports teachers. They have enough of their own. English is still widely used and is one of the offical languages.

For some reason young and enthusiastic EFLers think in their initial enthusiasm that their TESL Cert from Dr Ripoff's Institute will allow them to go anywhere they want. The International Labour Market does not work that way. You will not find a job easily or at all in India and a host of other countries. This applies also to richer countries. Malta is out and so are Sweden and the Netherlands.

Do not believe all the hype you hear in this business !

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason there isn't an EFL job market in India is that the only people who could afford EFL lessons already speak it pretty well. So there is not the market, and in a country where university professors get around $500 a month, and other teachers much less, not even backpackers find it appealing in the mid to long term.

There is also an excellent pool of highly qualified teachers, and at least a couple of million native English speakers (impoosible really to quantify the figure because of lack of agreement on who is a native English speaker).

It is however the only place where Hamish's pet hate - the native English speaker whose qualifications are a knowledge of pubs and East Enders, or bars, baseball and Jerry Springer - will be hired to teach graduate non-native teachers with fluent English and the ability to quote the complete works of Shakespeare and Milton before breakfast. The reason is that most British, and many Americian service companies are outsourcing their call centres to India. The Indian companies hire qualified graduates to man them, but they need training in basic English culture.
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason why former British colonies don't need NETs is that students in those countries have enough exposure to the English language in all its forms, owing partly to the fact that it is widely used as a medium of instruction, and often, it doubles as the official language! In India, it is one of two, if I am not mistaken, official languages.
That Lisa Girl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Dharamsala Reply with quote

One of the EFL teaching opportunities in India that I've heard about is teaching Tibetan refugees in Dharamsala, a beautiful town in the mountains, which is where the Dalai Lama lives. I personally know a guy who's done it; apparently it was one of the most awe-inspiring and rewarding experiences of his life. It was a volunteer position. I can find out more information and details, if you are interested.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Lisa,
You find Tel Aviv awe-inspiring; you feel Tibet would also be awe-inspiring. You seem to be much more easily inspired than the rest of us. You are indeed blessed
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Stephen Jones got it !!!! Reply with quote

Stephen Jones - you got it . The great Guru Hamish wishes you to know that you have grasped the essence of awe-inspiring reality. The average Indian teacher of English has a better grasap of English than the backpacking semiliterates who travel the world with no ability to differentiate between a participle and a partition.
Paul G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: A better what????? Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
The average Indian teacher of English has a better grasap of English than the backpacking semiliterates....

Perhaps the great guru Hamish can enlighten me as to what a "grasap" is, and where I can get one.

Do I have to travel to India to get a grasap or do they export them? Wink
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Give the Guy a Break,Paul Reply with quote

It is pretty obvious that Scot"s "grasap" was a typo.These things happen sometimes,to all of us...even moderators ,occasionally. Smile
Paul G

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should think it is equally obvious that I was joking with Scot.

All of us do that sometimes, even moderators.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: GRASAP Reply with quote

GRASAP ? It is Anglo-Indian for "grasp" I only wished to display my proficiency in some of the more obscure forms of English - clearly unknown to those educated in the backwaters of the USA and the UK.

In my experience many of the teachers of English from India and Pakistan are much better educated than the backpacker BA element. Alas we meet them all over the world as universities in the English-speaking world continue to produce scores of semi-literates with BA degrees.
omar805

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: try this website Reply with quote

http://www.vso.org.uk/overseas/cprofiles/india.htm
good luck
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Hamish,
If making typos or grammatical booboos is a sign of being educated, then yes, the Pakistanis are much better educated than the Engllish.

I fairly often get job applications from lecturers at Pakistan universities. A one page resume can have up to 50 errors. I shudder to think what their students are like.

This is not true of Indian applicants however.

Could you perhaps explain this crusade of yours to demean the native English speakers. Did one of these backpackers run off with your wife or something?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: