Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QP Application
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsklent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: QP Application Reply with quote

Considering all the comments I have read about QP, thought I would just mention (for a laugh) that as a teacher with considerable years experience working with a reputable organisation, and an MA Linguistics (TESOL)etc. have been informed by QP on applying for an EFL position that I do not meet their criteria! Is there any hope for me?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider it an accolade and now you can go and apply at the better places. Laughing

VS
nsklent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, as at the moment am despairing at finding a decently paid job in Qatar (already resident here).

So far:
CNA-not Canadian so application not accepted.
QU-awaiting feedback from an interview.
Various language schools-do not require staff at present.
Other universities in Education City-do not have any vacancies.
QAC-possibility
Private schools-salary ridiculously low.

Blah, blah, blah. Any links or info about potential jobs from anyone will be gratefully received. Sad
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the BC?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often places that think they don't need anyone now... will suddenly need someone when classes begin. Keep all those contact numbers handy to start calling them again just before this time.

Hopefully something will pop up.

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: QP Application Reply with quote

nsklent wrote:
..... have been informed by QP on applying for an EFL position that I do not meet their criteria! Is there any hope for me?

Shocked what 'criteria' would that be?

My friends who work at QP tell me for a fact that there is a REAL shortage of teachers there....Something will turn up I am sure- I agree with VS keep all those contact numbers and contact them again at the end of August.....good luck
MIKEBUCHAN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: QP Reply with quote

QatarChic,

I believe you are correct. QP will always need 'good' teachers. I worked for them and quit in March this year ------------ the reason is easy. The managment company that pays you, has the house you live in etc is THE worst company that I have ever been associated with! And like nsklint, I have all the same qualifications and like VS is is NO shame to have QP not want you. Now if you are of Arabic origin and have a UK or Irish passport - and English is not necessary - you will be hired is two shakes of a lambs tail!

Mike
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preference is given to Sudanese and Palestinians with Irish passports. Being a member of the Muslim Brotherhood might be a further recommendation.
Bebsi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at QAC/QP a few years ago, but on a very short term contract. It was in the Malachy days, and I found it to be pleasant. I was staying out at QAC and not in town and had a shared car the value of which depended on whom I was sharing with at a given time...most of the time it was with one gentleman who was very nice and extremely easy to work with.

I found the work to be very easy, although there were many who didn't, and the trainees were very nice guys.

Some colleagues...mainly westerners, I would add...had a very serious attitude problem that would render them unemployable anywhere, and indeed, it was this small number of individuals who constituted the worst aspect of the job. One or two people were, to be truthful, downright obnoxious. My Arab colleagues I liked and found very pleasant to work with.

The money wasn't great, but I couldn't complain as I knew what it was when I accepted the job. However, as a stop-gap, it was OK which is why I had gone there in the first place.

All in all, I had a pleasant time in Doha. Malachy and the moderators at QP were all very fair people to deal with.

I read mixed reviews about the current package and conditions, but I can categorically say that back then the job itself was indeed very pleasant, and the trainees were lovely guys to work with.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsklent wrote:
Other universities in Education City-do not have any vacancies.

Did you try the ABP?
Kiran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all...I need some advice.

QP has offered me a job but insists that the contract 'will be ready when I arrive'. Can somebody tell me if this is okay? Is it their usual practice? Can I trust them not to change the terms on my offer letter ( offer e-mail, rather) after I join them?

Rather anxious...advice from people who know Doha/ QP would be most welcome.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very normal here. But make sure that you keep a copy of the e-mail just in case.
When are you arriving Kieran? Apparently there's a real shortage of teachers at QP at the moment
Kiran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Qatarchic.

Well I want to join around the 13th of Nov but there seems to be a fuss about that; they say there are plenty of candidates who are willing to join immediately. I wonder about that though, because they repeated the ad just four days ago which means there is still a shortage.

What exactly is the situation? Will the sky actually fall down if a candidate takes another fortnight to jon? On the other hand, though I have offers from other places, I do wish to work with QP! D'you think they will find somebody else if I asked for more time??
QatarChic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiran wrote:

What exactly is the situation? Will the sky actually fall down if a candidate takes another fortnight to jon? On the other hand, though I have offers from other places, I do wish to work with QP! D'you think they will find somebody else if I asked for more time??

I very much doubt that the sky will fall down Laughing
I don't work there but from what I hear from friends of mine who do, is that there is a REAL shortage of teachers....

Where are your other offers from? If you ae looking to save money, then QP is a good position to take, although remember that the riyal is weak right now as it's pegged to the dollar, but apparently there is talk of salaries going up to 13000 QR/month.

It sounds as though you are hesitant about coming and that you ned more time/ I would be upfront and honest with them. Can't see any harm in doing that. If they really want you, then they will wait.

Good luck.
Kiran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. My other offer is from Saudi Arabia. And one from Barcelona which I am not taking.

Yeah I know Qatar is a great place to save money. I also gather that the way things are managed at QP, they can't hope to get the global award for professionalism in the next century or two...but I need to get rid of an educational loan (damn!) and I'll just hang around for a year before I move to Oman or somewhere better. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: