Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for a summer job!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fidelito

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: looking for a summer job! Reply with quote

Hello from Vienna, Austria,

I am about to finish my CELTA and would love to get some practice before actually looking for a proper teaching stint.
It could be almost anywhere on this planet, if I do have preferences - these would prob. be the Far East, Russia or Latin America, but as said I'll be happy to look at anything.
Pay is not my main concern at this point, but I do not want to kind of sponsor myself paying 100s of $$$ for signing up with placement programs.
Ideal would be 3-4 weeks in July/Aug. with paid accomm.&food, I would pay for my airfare and if there is some kind of financial remuneration for my teaching, I will not refuse it Very Happy
My 2 negs are: I am not a true native speaker by passport (Austrian/EU passport) but have lived in the States, prob. have more an Am. accent than a B one and have been doing fine on the CELTA
the other one is I am not (yet) having a degree, as I have always taken the practical approach - I had careers in tourism, foreign trade and graphic design
I'm currently studying with the Open University (UK) for a MEd
My pros Very Happy I am serious about whatever I am doing, a hard worker and a quick learner
BTW: I am not exactly a teenie anymo' - 46, SWM
I'd appreciate any comments, leads, etc. - either on this board or privately ([email protected])
I am also looking for a proper teaching job either later this year or early next one
I speak E, German and Spanish
Thanks for reading my post!

Best wishes.
Walter[/b]
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Walter!

I think China might be your choice as the period during which you want to get your hands on this trade is the exact season that you specified. IT is a good time to get a summer job for 6 weeks to two months. Pay normally is above average.
Most students during this period are the very students whose holidays have begun. It's an irony, but it is in you favour. It means that plenty of businesses get under full swing precisely in July and August.
This means that the motivation of your students might not exactly match your own efforts.

On your plus side, I would say that your age is an asset. Yes, it will stand you in good stead! More maturity.
Also the fact that you are trilingual will guide you in your job. Don't worry about your origin! YOu have a green card, right?
I don't normally push CHina to backpackers, but in your case, I am fairly certain you are well suited. Let's hope China suits you!
inmexico

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Mexico....possible Reply with quote

Hey there,

Check out the job postings. There is a listing for Culturlingua. This is a very decent school, albeit the wages are low. It might be worth contacting them.
Fidelito

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Roger and inmexico for your replies!

Roger, no I do not have a green card - is that sth essential for China?
sorry for sounding stupid, but do you have any special tips how I should go about it if I only look for a summer job for some 4-6 weeks (I can't leave for good at this point, I will be able to do that later this year) Should I simply go there and talk to schools or is it poss to arrange sth beforehand - unfort. they all want native speakers exclusively!

inmexico, I checked that website, but found nothing on summer jobs - however I would prefer China at this point, also as I would like to go to East Asia next year. But yes, I said Latin America, which I do enjoy and visited before extensively - well, shall see Very Happy

thanks again!
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter,
nobody cares whether you have a green card, I just thought you had one to claim a deeper relationshipwith your current host country.
Although they often specify "native English speakers" they invariably are incompetent in determing whether you are one. Claims are for appearances only.
Yes, if you apply via the Internet you will perhaps in some cases be ignored. I suggest you show up here. Summer is a good time to land a job.
However, you must be fully aware of the fact that for such a short period no one is going to hire you legally! It will mean for you to stay in a hotel. Or in a shared flat. Perhaps the school can house you. Still, you are a little vulnerable as an II.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Summer Job in China Reply with quote

Last year I was offered a summer job in China. This was initially by e-mail. Send me a pm if you want some information.

What is a "native speaker" ? It is not as clear as we sometimes imagine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: