Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QP Application
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QatarChic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiran wrote:
Thanks for the response. My other offer is from Saudi Arabia. And one from Barcelona which I am not taking.

Yeah I know Qatar is a great place to save money. I also gather that the way things are managed at QP, they can't hope to get the global award for professionalism in the next century or two...but I need to get rid of an educational loan (damn!) and I'll just hang around for a year before I move to Oman or somewhere better. Smile

I'm also paying off my student loan- but only 7 months to go! Very Happy
Barcelona? I worked there, amazing city- but unfortunately VERY low pay
Oman is great and I would highly recommend it.

Depends on how much they are offering you in Saudi, as cost of living is cheaper there. BUT if you are new to the Gulf, then I think Qatar would be the easier of the two......
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, I hope that you have read the many posts detailing the many negatives of QP. Have very low expectations...

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true VS

I think the people who choose to come and work for a year to save money, and then go on elsewhere are fine. The problem is for people who have NO experience of life in the Gulf, and who come in with high expectations, or will want to try the system in whatever way they can. You need to have bags of patience. I know people who have been there for several years and have been fine. But once again it's VERY important to read what has been said here..
Kiran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks QC and VS.

Yes I have been reading all the stuff on QP. I have very low expectations. The reason I chose QP is that they say my wife can also be employed. (She's in the same profession.) Well, they SAY so but from their strange disinclination to say anything definite when I ask for details generally, I'm not too sure if they will keep their word.

My wife has got a job offer from them, but there seems to be a 'time' problem. They'd told her at the time of interview that she could join at the end of NOV. Now they say she will have to join sooner. She can't do that because she has to serve a notice period where she is working now and certainly can't come before the 25th.

Not quite sure what to do. QC maybe you can help. What are the other English-related opportunities in Doha, apart from teaching? I mean just in case QP changes colour and we need to find something for my wife...there's no way she'll come if she can't get a job!!!!!

And yes, your friends at QP...are they on 1 year or six month contracts? Does it make a difference in the benefits? When is the next 'holiday' in Doha?

(Looks like I am making FULL use of this forum and a bit more!)
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="Kiran"]
What are the other English-related opportunities in Doha, apart from teaching? I mean just in case QP changes colour and we need to find something for my wife...there's no way she'll come if she can't get a job!!!!!

I think that they should be able to wait for a few weeks for her, so I wouldn't worry about that. Other non teaching work could include examining. Your wife could also pick up work teaching in the evenings if she came under your sponsorship, and maybe find something else once she's here.

Quote:
are they on 1 year or six month contracts? Does it make a difference in the benefits? When is the next 'holiday' in Doha?

All on one year contracts- makes no difference with benefits as far as I know. I think the next holiday is the next Eid, which will be around 20th December.
Kiran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see...thanks.

They have told me that I have a choice between a 6 month and a 1 year contract.
Reading all these horror stories about QP (esp. the letter written by somebody and posted by bcnbound on another thread) does affect the nerves a bit but I am going to try it!
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not THAT bad Laughing
Like I decide it depends on lots of other things like expectations, attitude, etc.

Why not take the 6 month option so that you get a feel for the place? I know people who have worked there on yearly contracts and have had no major problems.

Good luck and keep us posted- will this be your 1st posting in the Gulf btw?
Kiran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks! Yup, first time in the Gulf. I suppose it's a good thing that I am coming to Doha. From what I gather, if I can survive QP, I can survive anything!

I think I'm worrying too much about it all. Yeah I'll try it for six months.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the checks clear, one can tolerate most any teaching job for 6 months.

Good Luck!!

VS
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can work for 6 months at the Gulag while you're looking around but beware, you won't be able to transfer to another job if you find one in Qatar unless you've worked at the Gulag for more than a year and if the boss agrees (which means if he likes you.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: