Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shines Education: Have you worked there before?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norbdemn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Shines Education: Have you worked there before? Reply with quote

I am curious to know if anyone out there has worked for Shines Education in Singapore or knows anyone who has.

What is your opinion of this school?

Thanks
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Shines Education Reply with quote

Shines Education seems to be a new player on the block. However, teachers would be very wise to make sure that their contract does not violate Section 10 of the Ministry of Manower's Employment Act. At least one other Language School and its franchises have such a violation in their contracts.

� Section 10 of EA
Either party to a contract of service may at any time give to the other party notice of his intention to terminate the contract of service.

The length of such notice shall be the same for both employer and employee and shall be determined by any provision for the notice in the terms of the contract of service, or, in the absence of such provision, shall be in accordance with the following provision:

(a) one day's notice if he has been so employed for less than 26 weeks;
(b) one week's notice if he has been so employed for 26 weeks or more but less than 2 years;
(c) 2 weeks' notice if he has been so employed for 2 years or more but less than 5 years; and
(d) 4 weeks' notice if he has been so employed for 5 years or more.�

Prospective teachers may want to have the Ministry of Manpower to check the contract for their sake of peace of mind.

KRAKATOA
k1w1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be advised that the Ministry does not offer advice or assistance to anyone earning under $1600 per month - obviously, this does not apply to foreigners (except those in unskilled labour) as we would not get a permit for such a low salary.
ozziaj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently applied for a job they advertised on TEFL.com:

Quote:
An education centre and leading provider of language training, higher education and cultural study tours, Shines Education is seeking qualified, experienced, professional, flexible and resourceful native English language instructors for an immediate start in our centre in Singapore.

Duties include teaching groups and individual 1-to-1 lessons at our language centre.

Our students come from all over the Asia Pacific area as well as Europe and consist primarily of young adults upwards.

The full-time teacher position is 5 days a week, Monday - Friday, between the hours of 9.00am - 6.30pm including contact teaching hours.

If you think you fit the requirements and want to join a fun and dynamic team then we want to hear from you.

Qualifications
Instructors must have a TESOL/CELTA certificate and be degree qualified with experience working in the ELT field at various levels.

Compensation
Salary and benefits are:

- Salary $3,000+ Singapore Dollars (depending on experience)
- Housing placement
- Medical coverage
- End of Contract bonus

Sean Maguire, the guy responsible for sorting through the applications, was probably very busy, indeed. Since I was sort of interested initially, I gave them a call after a few days and finally managed to talk to the chap. He promised to get back to me the next arvo. Well, that never eventuated. By then I had his office and cell phone numbers, and tried to get hold of him every day for a few days � alas, without much success. Eventually he did get back to me, and gave me the usual spill of a job description, saying I would fit the bill etc.. I asked him for his email address and he promised to send me an e-mail so that I could have it (the line was pretty bad, so we agreed that this would be preferable in order to avoid misspellings). Well, I never got his email address. On a hunch I called him again, and had a pretty clear line � and got his email address; he promised to reply within a day of getting my email. I emailed him a few questions regarding the job and contract, but so far (three days on by now) I�ve never heard back from him.

Turned out the job has no housing included, contrary to what I previously thought. Apparently they used to do that, but for some reason they stopped it. Now they promise to just help you with finding an apartment. Frankly, a monthly gross salary of S$3000 for some 30 hours/week �teaching ESL to pre-intermediate students from all over Asia� without a housing subsidy (at the very least) simply isn�t going to make anyone particularly happy living in Singapore. Housing there can cost easily upwards of S$1500 � unless one wants to live in a dump somewhere in the sticks.

I�ve taught more than 12 years in Australia and Asia; sure, I�m just your average BA edu with a TEFL paper thrown in, but living in a place like Singapore, which can be a tad costly at times, S$3000/month without any added incentives simply isn�t good enough even if I were straight out of uni. I�m still waiting for some details of that 'end of contract bonus'. The chap seemed a bit cagey about this when we talked on the phone � then again, we did have a bad line. The medical coverage is just the basic policy you get working anywhere in Singapore � no surprises here.

Anyway, besides the odd behavior of that Sean chap, the offer just isn�t good enough � at least in my mind. Apart from the rather heavy contact load, teaching �pre-intermediate students from all over Asia� could potentially mean you have teenage students with next to zero English skills. Oh, and you also gotta do some IELTIS courses for them, and have them passing with flying colours ...

Seems to be just another case of a stingy language school. I suggest to beware of that one � even if the money and contract details improve drastically �
ozziaj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough they did contact me eventually (well over a week later than promised) and offerd me a position.

However, the monthly salary on offer was just S$3300 before tax and no benefits other than an end-of-contract bonus of S$800.

Simply put, and given the rather steep rents one encounters these days in Singers, this just isn't enough.

I made a counter offer (over S$4300) but haven't heard back from them ... ... ... yet ...

Never mind, that.
Salam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also sent off my CV to this outfit, so if anyone has any additional solid information I'd be very happy to hear it, either on here or in PM.

Thanks.
Salam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has no one who has worked there got any information about this outfit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: