Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNA, Qatar - Abused, stressed out Instructors- Help needed..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: CNA, Qatar - Abused, stressed out Instructors- Help needed.. Reply with quote

There are reports that the College of the North Atlantic is having serious problems at the moment, and Instructors are extemely stressed and worried about their situations there. Many of the Instructors came with their children, but the school is not adequate and nor are the facilities.

Check out this report from the horses' mouth.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/31102007/3/canada-atmosphere-cna-s-qatar-campuses-described-poisoned.html

Ghost in Korea
lukey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: CNAQ Reply with quote

i sent you a pm ghost, but i am not sure if it went through.

Were these comments from the instructors recent? The college was a real mess last year - this year is no better? The Qatar Canadian School is a small villa (house) with no facilities for sure, no computer lab, science lab, gym etc. Good teachers.

Are people finding they are going there misinformed by CNA?
moralleader1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: WOW! Reply with quote

Thanks for the article!

That's too bad taking into account CNA as a Canadian institution!
Reality check

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: CNAQ survey results -is management doing anything? Reply with quote

So far not much has changed. The CNAQ president had a town hall meeting before the summer vacation to address the survey results and general concerns. All that came out of it was they are forming a couple of committees to look into some issues. But in most issues the ultimate decision power is with Qatari management and they are not willing to address any of these issues. In president's own words, all he does is bring up an issue and possible solutions to the Qatari management, and they say no. The Canadian management has basically no control over how the college will be run, they are just happy to get the cheque from the Qatari government.

Give you a simple example, Qatar Canadian School operates from a villa with no facility. College campus has a lot of land for new construction. Somebody proposed a building to be constructed in one side of the campus to house the Canadian school. The Qatari management said no, so the children have been put into the trailers in the villa backyard.

The list goes on and on, there have been discrimination based on gender, apparently it is common practice in Qatari society. It is sad to see how quickly this organization forgot Canadian values and morals. There are safety violations, breach of contract and one VP is getting investigated for accepting bribes.

Anyway the morale of the story is, do not believe everything they say in NL. Once you come here, they have no power or willingness to help you.
lukey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: CNAQ Reply with quote

Check out the CBC website - Newfoundland section - Here and Now news broadcast from Friday. The CBC interviewed D.Latifa - head of the Qatar committee in charge of running the College in Qatar. She said that the way CNA treats its employees is of no concern to her. She said the Qataris are not involved in the operation of the college - they just monitor what CNA is doing. Gee- she has an office next to the President of CNAQ! She pulls the strings and the Canadian executive there dances.
The CBC report said that the information they have is that all of the trouble comes from three managers - two have now resigned (EFL and Health Sciences) and the other has vowed to change her ways (VP Academics) - so everything now is great!
Reality check

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: website for Hear and Now Reply with quote

Hi Lukey. Do you have the web link to the Hear and Now segment you were referring to? Keep up the good work!!
lukey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: CBC Broadcast Reply with quote

Here is the link for the CBC report - Here and Now - it is available on the CBC website - Newfoundland site - Here and now recorded broadcasts - this broadcast is available to view until 6 pm NL time Monday night.CNA segment is at about the 30 minute mark - enjoy - hope it works for you!

http://www.cbc.ca/video/popup.html?http://www.cbc.ca/ondemand/hereandnow/stjohns.asx
Reality check

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for sending the link.
Mine's a pint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CBC story is a bit dated. But instructors are indeed stressed out.

The living conditions are not great, but tolerable... barely. Schools don't offer much in the way of extracurricular activity. We have managed to find activities for our kids elsewhere though.

Doha is dreary.

The college.... I have never worked anywhere like this. I find it a nasty place. If things go wrong, it's the teacher's fault. But much that puts faculty under stress is the colleges' own doing. I won't provide any details since they might allow others to identify me.

It's interesting how higher Ed has adapted business principles both in its management and educational approach. I've heard it said that many of these principles are those which do not lead to successful, sustainable organisations.

The salary might look good. But at least from my point of view, it isn't worth it. If you like teaching and are doing okay where you are now. Stay put. All ye who enter here, give up hope. Here be dragons.
Reality check

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: CNA president's message regarding the CBC story Reply with quote

This is what CNA president sent out to the employees after CBC report was circulated,

"Many of you are aware that the College has been receiving negative press lately related to one individual who is a past employee of the College. Please be advised that we are taking this matter seriously. However, because we are currently involved in litigation, we are not at liberty to discuss the details of the case. This is the reason that you are not seeing extensive responses from College Executive in the media.

Have a good weekend!

Jean"

I am speechless; you form your opinion about the institution where the president makes this kind of comment. Don't say I did not warn you.
Reality check

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: In reply to president's e-mail Reply with quote

I would like to share the following e-mail that was sent in reply to the president's e-mail I posted before. I would like to take the credit for this clever, 'nailed on the head' e-mail, but the author was not me. Anyway, enjoy!

"Good to see that the College is taking this seriously, and looking into the matter with a view to find out what the real problem is and then solve it. That�s how you show leadership and take care of your employees.

It would be so tempting to just find a scapegoat somewhere to pin this on so that we can all pretend that everything is fine and go back to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Now I have hope.

Give that girl a pickle!"
Laughing
lukey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: CNA/CNAQ Reply with quote

Another article on CNA/CNAQ - in today's (Dec.4) St.John's Telegram

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=86139&sc=88
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: