Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kuwait University
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheema.doshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Kuwait University Reply with quote

Hello.
Could someone please let me know if Kuwait University-Allied Health Sciences English Unit-would be a good place to work?

Thank you

Last edited by sheema.doshi on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheema,

On the UAE board I included Allied Health in my general advice to you. Cool I put a link to another job ad at KU for you in that post.

But, come back here and ask any specific questions about either the Faculty of Medicine or Allied Health.

VS
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: allied health Reply with quote

it used to be called 'allied hell' and conditions have not much improved
if you work there, you'll deal with a
hhhhmmmm , you better PM me for more
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to send her a PM. She can read them, but newbies can't send PMs until after they have posed quite a few messages. (because of spammers)

VS
pat blake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in Allied Health. I have never heard it called "Allied Hell" except from this person. No one in this unit calls it by that name. Sheema obviously has a grudge against the unit for some strange reason, but she has never worked here, does not know anyone who works here, and is making assumptions based on rumors or her own personal grudges against someone. There are many people from many countries working here that enjoy the unit and our students. If Sheema has the courage, she can talk to us personally and explain why she thinks our unit is "hell." Last year we had Dave remove this low slander from the link. But we feel this requires a response, even if it is beneath our dignity.
pat blake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I got the name wrong of the person who wrote the message about "Allied Hell." I believe Sheema was inquiring and not the sender.
kllamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Kuwait University Reply with quote

15 years in Kuwait!!!! Where do you get your information? I have worked at Allied Health for 9 years and the only place I have ever heard it called Allied Hell is here, in your postings (now for a second time). We have very good working hours, our students are motivated, and our class sizes are very reasonable. What is hell about that? I would really want to know your source of information in a PUBLIC forum so that we can disspell any of the misconceptions that are being forwarded by you. I would be glad to answer anyone who had a specific question about the working conditions at Allied Health.
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: allied hell Reply with quote

if uninformed people can look at this from a different point of view for just a second -
the last few posts are an indication of some of the publically releasable (i'm trying to protect the reputation of even the most vile by NOT naming names in public) information of why those who left allied health have called it 'allied hell'.
the ganging up on by the 'old guard' against those who have another opinion without civilly ([u]like not throwing things [/u]instead of listening....pm me for interesting references to those choice of words) working as a team of professionals is reason to call any place which fits that description 'hell'. And this is but one point....
pming is best because details are not throw out to the world - only to those who ask for it and it provides no publically named names of those 'devils' who really dwell in 'hell'

on another level - my,my but how some have drunk the koolaid....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at KU about 10 years ago and the reputation of Allied Health was quite good... certainly head and shoulders above the nightmare that the Faculty of Medicine was at that time. Cool

It is only natural that through the years some teachers were hired who could not cope with the system or the personalities, but that happens in every department in every university in the world. As years pass, there will be teachers fired, justly or unjustly is often hard to measure.

All I can say is that I have only heard complaints about this department from 15yearsinQ8 who has shown by his/her posts that s/he loathes everything about Kuwait and especially the Kuwaitis themselves. One does wonder why s/he stays.

VS
Rommel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may chime in here for just a quick note. One of my closest friends currently works for KU/AH and has only good things to say about her job, hours, salary, and colleagues. 15 YIK, if you want to bash a place on this site, give specifics about why you feel that way. It doesn't do much for your credibility to simply label a place with a silly moniker and not give details and examples of why.
grab-bag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Language Center - Q8 is not a bad place to live - traffic bad - roads OK - city bit difficult to get round but all in all a decent place to live.

Most of the units in the Language Center are fine - avoid AH if you can -
some tough types running the show.
pat blake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't speak about the past, but A.H. is now a very quiet and pleasant place to work at. Everyone respects each other; the atmosphere is transparent, and no one is left out of curriculum or any other aspect of the unit. Things are fluid here in Kuwait; people change (or go away), curricula change; goals change. The people with the loudest voices against us are those who never worked here and rely on gossip, or those who haven't worked here in many, many years. The Health Sciences is the best place to work at these days in Kuwait.
grab-bag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KU is still the best place to work. I heard AH had a lot of problems a few years ago (really bad management team) but things are said to have improved.

Try the KU Language Centre. It's an OK place to work. I do a lot of consultancies in this country and KU doesn't have the problems of GUST, ACK or AUK in terms of management baddies.
passionateteacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently talked to a Professor who currently teaches at Kuwait University. He has been there for the past 20 years with a three year break in between. He loves Kuwait but says the university has its ups and downs. He told me that they have not been hiring expats for the past few years because they need to get other things together before they will start hiring again.

@15yearsinKuwait. I really wonder if you have been in Kuwait for 15 years. I have noticed a trend on your posts that either they are inaccurate, have little to do with the topic of the conversation or just plain negative. I agree with veiled senitments, I wonder if you truly have been in Kuwait for 15 years like you claim. For someone who has been here that long seems to always have negative things to say about it and usually very off of the topic. I have been here for a while and I like it. I find the people are very friendly and open to various views and cultures. It is a small country so things are not so far away and there are plenty of activities. For someone who has been in Kuwait for 15 years one would think that when someone has a post or a complaint about a school you should have more in depth information then you seem to present. I doubt if you have really been here for 15 years or just spent those last 15 years belly aching about everthing! Crying or Very sad
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at KU/AH a few years back....it was one of the best positions I ever had. I left for a position that was extremely good for my career track.

I would recommend it to any qualified professional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: