Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese International School (CNIS) Singapore--careful

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabe_martindale

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Chinese International School (CNIS) Singapore--careful Reply with quote

I keep seeing this employer advertise--is that a problem in itself?

I have not heard good things from the teachers there.

The teething pains are a bit extreme.

Their new principal is a problem, it would seem, although I am told that they presently have two principal.

Careful... this year at least...

Ask pointed questions and expect clear answers in writing...

Last edited by gabe_martindale on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Chinese school Singapore CNIS Reply with quote

MOD EDIT

The fact this the second post dealing with this school, it is with in reason to consider that the school is taking action to intimidate teachers in order to secure teaching staff for their establishment.

What ever you do, remember, ask for e-mail addresses of A - L - L teachers, foreign and national at the school. This applies to any country and every school! Should there be no e-mails forth coming then it is with in reason to consider / believe that the school is dodgy to say the best.

Finally, remember the old addage:

Caveat Emptor!

krakatoa
gabe_martindale

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Ape man Reply with quote

I wish them the best in sorting out their growing pains and reconfiguring their management
dolmie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: are they advertising again? Reply with quote

Either CNIS is enjoying enormous growth in their student body which results in their need to keep hiring English, Science and Math Teachers or their English, Science and Math Teachers keep quitting or getting fired...
Salam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was in Singapore last month on a visa run and called in to see one of my ex-TOEFL students at this school. She seemed quite happy with the place. During my visit I also met with three of the teaching staff and they didn't say anything negative, or seem overly stressed/agitated.

Granted I didn't get into a deep conversation about their problems, but I did ask them what the place was like, salary, etc. for future reference. No sideways looks, no "don't do it", nothing negative. The most memorable comment was, "hope to see you working here then".
dolmie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

I was happy to read that post. I think some new schools will grind up their teaching staff depending how good or bad their administrators are. I am glad you found some teachers who did not express that that was the case at that school.

The group I spoke with last year had been through the wringer--I think they had near 75% turnover of foreign staff in their first year, including 3 or 4 fired. The principal was fired. The VP quit apparently.

It was kind of bedlam I am afraid. The poor kids. I hope they are sorted by now, but their problems seemed pretty great.
eslbob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x x

Last edited by eslbob on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
hqliew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eslbob wrote:
school is worse now and getting worser. The staff turnover for the end of the year is now up to 95% and students are leaving, even the bad ones. Avoid.

Hi, I'm a reporter from The New Paper. I'm trying to do an investigative piece on Chinese International School and was wondering if you could help me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: