Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best type &/or best place to do a Masters or PhD. in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigmuu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: The best type &/or best place to do a Masters or PhD. in Reply with quote

Greetings:
I am now living and teaching in Saudi Arabia. I have 3 Bachelors (Arts, Education, and Special Education), Masters (Master of Linguistics (TESOL)) and a CELTA. However, I feel it is now time to do another Masters or perhaps a PhD. Essentially, my masters is from Macquarie University in Australia and I did it by Distance Education. However, I have been told that Kuwait University and at least one University in Oman now refuse to accept any Masters and perhaps other degrees done via distance education. I am very happy in my present position but I must always think about the future. Based on the qualifications and concerns mentioned above, can anyone recommend the best field , based on present EFL teaching trends in the Gulf or even worldwide, to do a second Masters in? However, in my particular circumstances, would a doctorate program be a better idea? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Doing any program, either Masters or Doctorate, via Distance Education would be the best option for me but based on trends in Oman and Kuwait described above, a mostly internal degrees with most courses in the classroom in the summer would be a definite asset. I have always enjoyed working holidays in the summer so a program with a heavy summer school component would be a plus because a degree with actual classroom attendance is considered, perhaps unfortunately, more valid by some employers.

If anyone has suggestions about any of the above, please contact me at [email protected] Finally, can anyone suggest other forums where I can seek more advice on this question.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigmuu,

I can really see no benefit to another Masters unless you are looking to change fields completely, as in something like an MBA.

A PhD related to education would be what I would do. At least it may get you a raise in pay in most places which a second MA would not.

Be sure to factor in the cost of this degree. I don't know your age, but will you even work long enough to get your money back from whatever raise you may get? If you would get no raise, it is merely money lost.

VS
Mark100

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you want to do a PHD i wouldn't bother doing another masters unless you just want fill in some time ( i could think of better things to do thou)
I also did my Masters thru Macquarie Uni by distance.
Nobody ever asked whether it was by distance or not.
The cost i think was about 5000 dollars and now it has risen to over 10000 dollars.
It is very expensive indeed now so you might want to think twice about getting into such debt for what i would consider very little benefit.
titanicman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Free time for PhD? Reply with quote

I'm interested in doing a PhD by distant learning. Exeter Univ offers a Doctor of Education in TESOL (?). All of it is online except some classroom courses that you must do can be done in Dubai (making it most convenient!). A few others offer PhDs in Australia and England.

If you're interested in more details, I can let you know. I don't know if I can devote so much free time to researching for a PhD but I'm thinking about it. I'm teaching full-time in KSA as an English Teacher as it is. Are you going to have enough free time?

Thanks. Titanicman
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear posts 3 and 4,

I think the problem for the OP was the fact that his degree was done by Distance Learning. Maybe even a Phd by DL wouldn't impress those fussy folks at Kuwait Uni?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm not really sure if those fussy folks at KU are worth worrying about. Smile

But, seriously, as to the second part of the original posters questions, there have been many rumors about acceptability or not of distance degrees. I too have heard the rumor, but yet it seems that dozens of people in all of the Gulf are working on these degrees.

Has anyone ever had their distance degree not accepted by an empoyer out there reading this? Or do you know an actual person who has been turned down for that reason?

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you should study what you WANT, and go from there. Trying to tailor your education to the whims of a couple of universities whose own qualifications are questionable seems like a losing proposition all around.

Example: In response to some administrative and personnel problems at one of KU's language centers, they decided that all of their new hires should have *bachelor's* degrees in English. Why? Because of somebody's well-intentioned but ill-informed prejudice.

You sound well qualified. You'll get another job if you need one. I suggest that you follow your true interests in choosing your educational path, and aim to appeal to those prospective employers who can recognize the value of an employee who puts time and money into self-improvement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: