Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning Polish - Best coursebooks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started using Hurra!!! Po Polsku a month ago, I got it from Polanglo, it's on the north end of the old market, near the university in Wroclaw.
misteradventure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: polski jezyka Reply with quote

I have also waded through "Ten, Ta, To" and a year's worth of formal tutoring at UJ, though not in their one-year intensive.

Polish in 4 Weeks is alright as a quick reference and a review, but little else.

I have sympathy for a new student of the language. My instructor's advice is both a source of inspiration and insightful to the level of challenge: "Move in with your girlfriend; you will learn Polish."

I agree that one must be 'doing something' in order to use the language. I am now pretty good at bar/restaurant Polish, but conversation can escape me for too often. I went only to 'local' bars and pubs, stayed away from expat hangouts and achieved no success as it seemed that talking to the Foreigner was too laborious and they refused to speak English. Now, had I studied French in school... it would have been another story entirely.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am struggling with Polish as well.

i can do verb tenses. i can remember words. i even have, from what I'm told, very good pronunciation.

what I cannot do yet.....declensions. OMG.

does anyone know of a book/website that just has drills and exercises to practice cases? i can't seem to get them in my head.

it becomes so incredibly frustrating when you know all the words you need to say, but you just can't decline them properly. it makes me crazy. every time i get the nerve to say something to my girlfriend in Polish, she has to correct me because I always mess up some sort of conjigation with the nouns. totally frustrating.
Richfilth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynow, I know exactly what you mean. Or you say a sentence to someone with all the right words but the wrong cases and get a stony-faced "bardzo nie rozumiem" from them. It's confidence-shattering.

Aside from the downloadable Pittsburgh university stuff, I haven't found any decent material or tasks either.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There won't be a huge market for it, but i was saying to a student today in fact we need a Raymond Murphy style book for grammar. I know that would help me no end.

All the textbooks i've got are produced in the most unexciting way thought to man. A little bit of creativity and a format as set out in Murphy and suddenly you've got a decent textbook
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something in a Murphy's style would be good, only, there aren't enough exercises per grammar point. there's just one page, and then it moves on.

what I would LOVE, would be literally hundreds of sentences where the 3 or 4 main cases are just mixed, and you have to decide which it is and decline them accordingly. this, to me, is the only way i will ever get these in my head. I could sit and do hundreds of these sentences, no doubt about it, because I am so fed up with knowing so many words, yet not being able to say anything to anyone because I know my declension will be incorrect.
anospi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There won't be a huge market for it, but i was saying to a student today in fact we need a Raymond Murphy style book for grammar. I know that would help me no end.

It was mentioned in my OP, but my old DOS told me she had success with 'Wsrod Polakow'. I picked it up in the bookshop and it looked like nothing but grammar exercises. No pretty pictures or communicative tasks or even vocab. Just grammar. Could be worth checking out.
lit46

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about to go to warsaw-will any of these books be available?
Richfilth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bookshop on Nowy Swiat opposite the Istanbul Grill which does a range of grammar books - not sure of the publisher or the quality though. The American Bookstore on the same road has a few good grammar ones as well, Murphy style but with not as many exercises, and with a niche market price - 119zl per copy.
redsoxfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:

Quote:

what I would LOVE, would be literally hundreds of sentences where the 3 or 4 main cases are just mixed, and you have to decide which it is and decline them accordingly. this, to me, is the only way i will ever get these in my head. I could sit and do hundreds of these sentences, no doubt about it, because I am so fed up with knowing so many words, yet not being able to say anything to anyone because I know my declension will be incorrect.

Check this webpage out, it's the best resource I've found yet.

http://apronus.com/polishlessons/lekcje.htm

I say, read the sentences through until you feel comfortable with the meanings, then cover up the Polish side and try to translate from English. Great way to learn the declensions.

Another resource once you know a bit of Polish: join fotka.pl, one of those online chat/personal pages. Set up a profile and chat with Polish girls. This is the best way I know of to learn conversational Polish, and you have the added advantage of having time to think and type, and have a dictionary by your side. Not that I've ever done this of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: