Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

going back to school: MA-TESOL or 3rd B.A. + TEFL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vnusmars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: going back to school: MA-TESOL or 3rd B.A. + TEFL? Reply with quote

I am interested in becoming a teacher and eventually administrator for an English school in a European country. I am particularly interested in Eastern Europe, including Hungary, Slovenia or Croatia.

I currently hold a B.A. and M.A. in Music, and was a university and community college instructor (specializing in distance learning methods) for 7 years. I now work in the automotive finance division of Volkswagen & Audi as a customer service manager.

I am thinking of enrolling in a program to increase my chances of obtaining a position overseas.

I had previously researched one of the "one month immersion" CELTA programs in Prague and came very close to enrolling before I obtained my position at VW.

Primarily, I am investigating either an M.A.-TESOL or International Studies + TEFL program at Portland State University.

Does this exponentially increase my odds of getting a decent post more than getting a one-month CELTA or other certification?

Thanks for your replies!
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend getting a CELTA, teach somewhere and see if you like teaching EFL before enrolling in a Masters. You may not even like teaching EFL.
been_there

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be an administrator, a Master's or Doctorate will make things easier (unless you want to go be a DOS for English First) than a CELTA.

I would suggest an MA with a Language Program Administration emphasis. The Monterey Institute of Internatinal Studits in California as well as the School for International Training in Brattleboro, Vermont have these degrees that I know of for sure.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: going back to school: MA-TESOL or 3rd B.A. + TEFL? Reply with quote

vnusmars wrote:
I am interested in becoming a teacher and eventually administrator for an English school in a European country. I am particularly interested in Eastern Europe, including Hungary, Slovenia or Croatia.

Your goal is to be an administrator; therefore, you should develop administrative skills. Teaching is likely to just be a step on your journey. I'd suggest a certificate so that you'll know the ropes of EFL; you can probably get an English-teaching job without even that, but I'd think of a cert --and the familiarity with the field that it will impart-- as preparation for the administrative job. A master's in TESOL would be overkill. A master's in administration might be a better bet.
ls650

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: going back to school: MA-TESOL or 3rd B.A. + TEFL? Reply with quote

vnusmars wrote:
I was a university and community college instructor (specializing in distance learning methods) for 7 years.

It's not clear to me how much classroom experience you have. I think I have to go with the advice of the first responder and suggest you get a TEFL certificate first.

Try teaching EFL/ESL for 6 months or a year to see if it's something you even enjoy.
vnusmars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: going back to school: MA-TESOL or 3rd B.A. + TEFL? Reply with quote

ls650 wrote:

It's not clear to me how much classroom experience you have. I think I have to go with the advice of the first responder and suggest you get a TEFL certificate first.

Try teaching EFL/ESL for 6 months or a year to see if it's something you even enjoy.

Sorry. I have 7 years teaching experience, primarily in university and community college classrooms, both brick&mortar as well as distance learning (interactive TV, cable TV and Web). I also have some secondary school and corporate training experience.
FGT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the CELTA first as it a) teaches you the jargon and, b) enables you to get a (better) TEFL post. After that (CELTA and a year or so teaching) you can consider your options and maybe do an MA etc. if necessary. You might find that once you are in this environment, you get management offers as a result of your previous experience. Or there are more specific, vocational courses that you may consider.

You don't mention whether or not you have previously worked and lived abroad, you may need to find out if it's for you.

Good on you for having a long term ambition but, in this profession, as in others, people in the front line (ie teachers) can be very unforgiving of a manager who hasn't been in their situation. Also, as has already been said, you may not like it, so invest in a (comparatively) cheap course, test the water, and then.....

Good luck, let us know what happens.
vnusmars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks for suggestions! Reply with quote

Some of these responses triggered discussions with my wife, and she agreed with many of you that I should try it out first with a CELTA before taking such a huge step.
Also, nothing rang more true than the final words re: a teacher wants to be managed by another teacher and not a manager.

I think I'll go with Plan B, which is to get the language credits and maybe a certificate or BS in International Studies, then go into a CELTA in a few years when I'm ready to leave my current job.

Thanks again for all your great advice!
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FGT wrote:

Good on you for having a long term ambition but, in this profession, as in others, people in the front line (ie teachers) can be very unforgiving of a manager who hasn't been in their situation.

VERY good point. Thanks for bringing this out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: