Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good advice? Alter the path of my life!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeJakeJake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Good advice? Alter the path of my life! Reply with quote

Ok I'm pretty much totally stumped! All I know is that by the latest of the middle of 08 I shall be in a Spanish speaking county working or looking for a teaching job.

I was pretty certain that I wanted to be in Spain, now I'm not so sure.

This is me:

British, 24, BA degree in History+Pol, 1 year on JET programme, 4 months in an British primary school.

I'll be ready at the latest of June to be anywhere. I want to do a 4 week course TEFL, pref CELTA or TESOL. I want jobs available in roughly the same place I do the qualification. Relatively easy ability to get a work permit. Not concerned about pay in the country as long as I can afford to live there. Don't want to save. Will have equivilant of $2000-3000 after flight and training etc.

So anyway, it seems that the only countries in LA that offer CELTA are Ecuador, Argentina, Colombia and Mexico.

The course at the TEFL institute in Chile seems good but surely this wont be as respected if I skidadle from Chile?

Where would you go in my position?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could tell you about Peru, average is 500 to 700 USD as month. Good places to work are UDEP in Piura and Fleming in Trujillo. See the LA Job LIst for contact info.

I would suggest teaching for a year, then saving and doing the CELTA> It-s not that well known here as in Europe. Try reading at the library about TEFL and observing come claasses, that-d help. If you-re serious about doing the CELTA, go to a country where you can save and then do it. But it-s hard to save in LA>

Work permits can be difficult in Peru. Think they-re easier in Mexico. however, in Peru lots of people work under the table.

I-ve never been asked for my TEFL Dip and have worked at three different places in Peru, alll prestigious
JakeJakeJake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks. Im pretty much set on doing a CELTA on arrival in my destination country. I think I could probably just jump in and work however I would like to get it over and done with really so I can iron out bad habits, raise confidence get the cert in my pocket and just for peace of mind. Im quite a worrier about the details!

Also my only English teaching experience other than teaching friends is JET. Rolling Eyes I need some real training!
keepwalking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One idea to consider would be to do the TEFL course in one country, say Ecuador, and then move on to a neighbouring country and get a bit of experience there, teaching on a tourist visa. Then move on again and do a few months elsewhere. That would take you up to the end of 2008 at which point you'd be TEFL certified, experienced in Latin America and chatting in Spanish. That would leave you in a strong position to look for a longer term position.

If you are interested in teaching in a school as opposed to an EFL centre, check out the LAHC website. This is a consortium of schools in Latio America all of whom carry the tag 'British-Peruvian'. This means they have British teachers on staff, usually a British Head and use aspects of the British National Curriculum in the way they program lessons. Most cater almost exclusively for the local population (those who can pay!) and so aren't what you might consider 'international' but they can be great places to build a career in teaching. They usually offer 2-3 year contracts and support such as work visas, health insurance, help finding accommodation etc.

The school year runs from February to December here. You'd be able to pick up EFL work in a language institute in June, but the British schools generally recruit around October/November time for the following Feb.

Good luck with the move.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keepwalking, have you found all the teachers you need for next year>
keepwalking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost. I have two candidates to see teach a sample class this week, for an almost full time primary post. Hopefully I'll appoint one of them this week.

Hope Korea is still being good to you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: