Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice please URGENT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Money

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Advice please URGENT Reply with quote

Good day

I am a South African teaching in SA just returned from UK. (I was teaching there)
I want to get info on teaching in Middle East. Like; how are the schools compared to the UK (discipline), accommodation, and transport? And if there is anything that I should be careful of before applying. What country to concider?

Will I be able to go for a few years and safe sum money? I saved about 700 pound a month in the UK.

If there are people willing to answer my question I will appreciate it.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Money,

I have no idea about discipline in international schools here, but only know that their salaries tend to average around 13000QR a month-also depends where you work, as salaries are higher at one of the established ones like DESS, Doha College etc...

It would help if you gave us more info like how many years teaching experience do you have? what qualifications do you have ? to better direct you more about which schools to avoid etc..

It's quite easy to save money here, and there would always be the possibility of extra work through private tuition, etc. Qatar is a safe country, but getting more expensive daily with regards to food etc....It's best that you get your own car here because taxis are either late, unavailable or the drivers are new and don't know the city well.....

hope this helps-please feel free to ask anymore Qs...
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money, it would help you make more focused inquiries if you read about what is already posted on these areas on the boards, use the search function - then we can give you more info on details that are important to you
Money

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qchic

Thank you so much for the info!!! I will do a search and then ask more questions.

Thanks for you time.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I noticed from your other posts that you have expressed interest in several other countries. Do you have a preference or would you just like to get some experience in any Gulf country?
Money

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QatarChic wrote:
You're welcome. I noticed from your other posts that you have expressed interest in several other countries. Do you have a preference or would you just like to get some experience in any Gulf country?

Hey

I traveled to Thailand and Bangkok and don�t think I will enjoy staying there for a couple of years. In the golf there are a lot of westerners.

The UK (been their done that for 3 years)

What city in the Golf would you recommend? I am still young and enjoy spending time with friend. I know that Kuwait is a dry country and not to good for social life.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscat is great if you enjoy doing stuff outdoors like camping etc- but salaries tend to be lower than elsewhere in the Gulf. I would also consider Abu Dhabi and Doha as there is more to do if you're single, but perhaps more so Abu Dhabi.
MrScaramanga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to concur with QatarChic that Abu Dhabi is the best place in the Gulf for a young single, unless you don't mind the traffic in Dubai. Undoubtedly, there is much more to do in Dubai than Abu Dhabi, but cost and getting around are really problematic. Abu Dhabi is not cheap either, but at least traffic is manageable Wink
Good luck!
MrS
lall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Teaching Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey

I traveled to Thailand and Bangkok and don�t think I will enjoy staying there for a couple of years. In the golf there are a lot of westerners.

The UK (been their done that for 3 years)

What city in the Golf would you recommend? I am still young and enjoy spending time with friend. I know that Kuwait is a dry country and not to good for social life.

You said that you were teaching in the UK. I hope it was not English. Please take this constructively. Your above-quoted post has numerous errors and I've not pointed out the errors of syntax, punctuation, improper use of the lower/upper case, etc.,

Last edited by lall on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
wilberforce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my gal pals who teach at some of the international and independent schools, the main problem is not really the students. It's the parents!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: