Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching outside of Prague

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylarz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Teaching outside of Prague Reply with quote

I realize that most people seem to run into Prague when looking to teach in the Czech Republic. But what I'm wondering is if anyone has information on what it's like teaching outside of the big city?

I have heard that for some cities the pay is equal to that of Prague, but the cost of living is lower, so It makes for a bit of a better balance and way to save a bit of money.

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks! Smile
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's one thread, from May 2007. not a whole lot of info, though.
you might try and catch Spiral78, he lives there off and on. otherwise, maybe contact TEFLPrague. i'm sure if you start out by asking about their course and then later ask about cities outside of Prague, she could tell you.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=51659
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...sorry, TEFLprague has an underscore "_" or dash "-" in it.

TEFL_prague <---- is the contact name, she/he might help

do a search
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, www.expats.cz seems like a pretty decent site.

you can search apartments by city, etc

(note: i'm not in any way associated with these sites)
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are good-sized communities of expat English teachers in all the cities outside of Prague (Plzen, Ceske Budejovice, Brno). Smaller cities usually have places for a few, but expect less opportunities for socializing and orientation. Czechs are not generally outgoing types and it typically takes a bit of time to make friends among them.
A few hardy souls truly enjoy teaching in remote areas where expats are rare, but it can be pretty isolated, socially.

Yes, cost of living can be lower outside Prague. You would likely want to be sure to be on a main train line for travel opps.

I would recommend either of the three cities above for an out-of-Prague Czech experience.
Sigma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am teaching in a small city of about 40,000 (225km from Prague), and I quite like it. However, I was familiar with the area before coming teach, which helped. I believe there are one or two other ex-pats living here, and one of them being a basketball player.

Costs are lower, but for some having a small social network might be difficult (especially if you speak little or no Czech).
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you teaching at an institute only, or doing a mix of institute / privates??

average rents around your city?? 1 bed , 2 bed, etc
ITTP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

Wages in the larger cities tend to be in line with Prague and can sometimes even be higher.
For private students though Prague easily wins as the best city to teach in terms of hourly rates.

I would agree with Spiral that Czechs are definitely introverted but if you do decide to teach outside of Prague then you will find your popularity levels increasing dramatically - especially if you are teaching out in the sticks.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend Plzen but I would definitely recommend Ceske Budejovice and Brno as great alternatives to the Prague scene.

BUT, there IS a reason why Prague is so popular and you should be, as Spiral noted, close to a main line route so you can easily make it into Prague when you are in need of your city fix.
Brno for example is the second biggest city in the country but is fondly referred to as being the 'big village' and if you are from a busy city then you might want to do a bit of research first before agreeing to a teaching contract outside of Prague.

I have very good friends in a small town in Moravia and there is a Canadian teacher there who, being the only expat, enjoys near super star status Smile
Teaching out in the sticks can be rewarding but outside of the main cities the wages do drop and prices can still be comparable to Prague (not the Prague the tourists know but the Prague the locals know).

Hope it helps!
Sigma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johninmaine wrote:
are you teaching at an institute only, or doing a mix of institute / privates??

average rents around your city?? 1 bed , 2 bed, etc

I am teaching at one institute, with a few private lessons a week. I am not sure about the average rent around my city, but it is probably around 6,000kc to 10,000kc a month for a flat.... this is just a guess though.

Where I live the rate for private teaching is about 300kc for the hour.
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that's useful -

thought about keeping a blog?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think situations like Sigma's are fairly rare - if I recall, he was recruited from abroad and sponsored by a language school in a relatively remote location. In such situations, housing is often arranged and paid by the school. It's not that common to see this; such positions don't abound, though they're out there.
johnnyappleseed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've lived outside of Prague for several years now, in a smallish town of 30 000 three hundred and fifty kms out. I agree with most of what's been said on this thread--I don't have much to add except to stress that, while rent is significantly cheaper where I'm at than it is in Prague, the cost of living otherwise is about the same. I think I make a salary that's on a par with Prague teachers, but that's after years of working for the same institute. I love it out here.

Pros to living outside of Prague:

1.less chance of falling into the trap of hanging out with only expats.
2. cheaper rent
3. friendlier people
4. more easily accessible outdoorsy type activities
5. more likelihood of learning the language
6. you're more of a novelty and people are genuinely interested in you

Cons:
1.potentially almost unbearable loneliness in the wintertime
2.significantly less culture in most towns than in Prague
3.less variety in night-life, less variety in general
4.less "expat" support for immigration issues--can be a problem without a spouse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: