Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best part time conditions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xray

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Best part time conditions Reply with quote

I would really appreciate any input re part time teaching conditions in Abu Dhabi in places like HCT ( ADWC and ADMC) ZU, ECAE and UAE Academy. To include things like pay, conditions of work, students,supervisors etc.
Thanks
xray
veralynn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked part-time in ADWC a couple of years ago. The pay was ok-ish (Dhs120 per hour) BUT, you were only paid for contact hours, so by the time you did all your prep, marking etc it ended up being more like Dhs 60 per hour. Plus there is so much paperwork there it's unbelievable.
xray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Veralynn it would seem that Dh120 is the norm so the deciding factor will be the hours and other conditions. Just read a post on ECAE and it was not too encouraging re the supervisor of the EFL side. I have had plenty of jobs where when they recruit you they come across as very nice and flexible but as soon as you start it is a compleely different story. There are some serious Jekell and Hyde characters out there especially heading up ESL depts. As a part timer it is of course earier for me to leave but I would rather make the most informed choice possible.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check out ZU's website, the Abu Dhabi campus is looking for adjunct ESL teachers.
xray

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and yes am aware of this - most of the institutes in Abu Dhabi are looking for partime teachers, that is why I am trying to get more information before making a decision.
veralynn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I found my part-time job very inflexible. I actually find it easier now that I am working full-time and we all know where we stand. Better than being told on Thursday morning that you have to cover for someone's class on Thursday afternoon, when you're supposed to be picking your kids up from school etc etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: