Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Sudan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alhow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Working in Sudan Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm currently looking at a position teaching English in Khartoum, Sudan. I'm well aware of the current situations in certain parts of the country, but by all accounts Khartoum seems to be a safe and welcoming city. Does anybody have their own experiences, good and bad, with Khartoum and teaching in Sudan in general? Also, the position is with a charity so it's considered voluntary, but I do get a wage of $150 for 'modest living expenses' - how far would this go (I will not be paying for accommodation)? Finally, whilst I have asked to be placed in Khartoum-Omdurman, there is also the possibility of working in Wad Medani and El-Obeid - any experiences of these would be very welcome! Thanks
gulam2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live and work in Sudan. My salary is 1000 US +
I spend as little money as possible and still spend 250 US +
I get a free apartment etc.

So the 150 you mention will probably not buy you enough food unless you live on bread which is very cheap (World Food Program).

If you want further details please e-mail me.
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in Khartoum. I found it very expensive. You would not be able to live on $150 a month. You would need another source of income to support yourself. You would pay more for food than you would pay in Canada, for example. You would probably need around $600 to $800 (and have your flat provided) a month for survival. I'm surprised that anyone could get by on much less!

In Khartoum no one ever speaks about problems in Darfur. It's almost as if it wasn't happening (who really knows what's happening there anyway?). There is plenty of poverty though, it's really hot, electricity goes off, limited air conditioning, tv goes off, water goes off etc. It's a third world country so don't expect anything else. The people are very friendly and it is a good place to be in that regard. It was very peaceful when I was there but who knows what the future will bring. Anywhere.
wfh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khartoum IS expensive - comparable with the UK for food and entertainment. The absolute MINIMUM (IMHO) you could live on is 500 dollars a month (that's not including rent, but you say you're getting your accommodation - that's good, rental prices are sky-high). Electricity isn't cheap - I spend about 80 dollars a month on it.

So, you will definitely need another source of income. The good news is that native english teachers are very scarce and VERY in demand, once you get some contacts, you can pretty much name your price and your terms.

Khartoum is a hellish place to live in. It's EXTREMELY hot. It's also incredibly dull (in my experience).

Go to Wad Medani! I considered teaching in the uni there - the town is a lot nicer than Khartoum and the scenery is gorgeous - lots of trees, flowers and birds. Plus it's only two hours from Khartoum so you could come up for the parties at the weekend if you wanted.
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "weekend" varies too. Friday is a holiday. I also had Sunday off. It's not what you might call a "weekend".

IMHO your charity is taking the p-ss. I have seen people in Khartoum who work for charities and live (it seems to me as a humble teacher) to be a quite luxurious lifestyle.

I spent at least $600 a month. I paid $10 for a 500g box of Whiskas for the cat (which you will need), $50 something a month for satelite tv (which I needed bearing in mind the lack of entertainment), 15000 SDD a month for a cleaner twice a week (which I need because I hate housework and that's the best part of working anywhere) a fortune on my phone and internet bill (which is not very reliable but ...). I could have lived on less but you won't be able to stay if you feel miserable.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost afraid to ask, but...waddaya NEED a cat for? Shocked
I expect it's a legit accessory, maybe even on the same level as a fridge...true?
alhow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all your replies, the unanimous opinion seems to be that I'd really struggle on such a low wage... I guess that's something I'll really have to discuss with my placement organisors, but I'm glad you've brought that to my attention because I had no idea of Sudan's cost of living! I actually assumed it would be really low simply because it's generally a poor country, but I know that's not always the case.
Would the cost of living reduce significantly if I were to be placed outside Khartoum? As one of you mentioned Wad Medani university, this is where I'd be working.
Thanks
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer Spiral
Yes.
I won't be too graphic. Wouldn't want to scare off Alhow! It's an issue you could encounter anywhere but much more likely in the Sudan. Very Happy

And Alhow
There are lots of very rich people in the Sudan. Some of the parents of the children I taught were multi-millionaires. And many people who work for aid organizations there do very nicely.
blackcorsair

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know the poor woman thrown into a Sudanese jail for insulting the prophet? Apparently the kids she taught called the class teddy-bear Mohammed. That was enough for the zealouts. What an awful intolerant country. Any way you guys in Khartoum can help?
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably at this point the best thing is to let the British ambassador do her thing.

She has been fired so she will have to leave the country (ie she doesn't have a sponsor). This school treats its staff well so it is hard to imagine she will suffer financial difficulty. It really would not be safe for her to remain in the country.

The first day she was in prison there was a mob outside demanding her head. She is in prison to protect her from them. The school is closed because if they thought she was there they would most certainly storm the place. The school is currently in lockdown (ordered by the council). It is rumoured that there will be a demonstration on Friday.

Things were quieter yesterday and she was taken to be interviewed by the CID. There is no facility for visitors there.

The prison is not nice but it could be worse if she was Sudanese.

The Sudanese people are lovely. However, there is a small but very vocal minority of radical zealots who are very dangerous. Hopefully, the government officials are working to cool their jets.

Many people inside the school believe that one person with a grudge and some connections (ie a relative on the police force) has managed to tap into the nutter group and cause all this trouble. It is also rumoured that the person with a grudge has threatened some other members of staff who witnessed certain events.
Sheikh Inal Ovar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm worried about the teddy ... apparently as well as the teacher's head, the crowd were baying for the teddy's button-eyes & nose ..
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding (although I haven't followed this aspect of the case carefully) is that the teddy was discreetly returned to the little girl who owned it long before this crisis began. So the teddy should be in a safe house.

Gillian was not fired. The misinformation came from a source that would have been expected to know better than to make it up.

The demonstration went off quiety. We have been told (and presume it to be true) that the bishop wants the school closed until Gillian has left the country. By that time it will be within a week of when it would have closed for Christmas anyway. The school council (the people who run the place - not the PTA) will meet tonight so there should be more information tomorrow.

The principal of the school has visited Gillian today in the safe place where she now is and says she is doing well.
gulam2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Sudan Reply with quote

Real friendly place
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember a totally inocent Brazillian being murdered in Britain. Or what about that nice English couple that went on holiday to Miami, took the wrong turn out of the airport and ended up with one of them dead.

Does that mean that Brits and Americans are unfriendly?
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadashirleyblue wrote:
I seem to remember a totally inocent Brazillian being murdered in Britain. Or what about that nice English couple that went on holiday to Miami, took the wrong turn out of the airport and ended up with one of them dead.

Does that mean that Brits and Americans are unfriendly?

Surely you aren't comparing these cases with Gillian's. The victims you mention were not convicted by the courts of the US or UK. Nor were there mobs of religious zealots baying for their blood in the streets of Miami or London. Think before posting, Shirley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: