Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Lithuania
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Best

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: House of English School-www.houseofenglish.lt Reply with quote

Have you ever heard of this school which is based on 41A Kestucio in Zverynas in Vilnius. I presume it is very small and it is a 1 owner, 1 teacher school. It must be very small or only recently establised as I used to live near Kestucio?
I have emailed the HR department of the universities as you suggested, so it will be interesting what their response will be.
As for freelancing, is freelancing not a bit precarious in Vilnius? I know you can pick lots of hours at times from the various schools but are there times when the hours dry up?
Have you any idea when American School of English are hiring again?
Kootvela

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: House of English School-www.houseofenglish.lt Reply with quote

George Best wrote:
Have you ever heard of this school which is based on 41A Kestucio in Zverynas in Vilnius. I presume it is very small and it is a 1 owner, 1 teacher school. It must be very small or only recently establised as I used to live near Kestucio?
I have emailed the HR department of the universities as you suggested, so it will be interesting what their response will be.
As for freelancing, is freelancing not a bit precarious in Vilnius? I know you can pick lots of hours at times from the various schools but are there times when the hours dry up?
Have you any idea when American School of English are hiring again?

They call themselves House of English (www.english.lt) and I think they are rather new, I haven't heard of them before. But their website looks impressive.

Vilnius pedagogical university is hiring staff. I emailed them for the documents they need, waiting for reply. Not that am interested but you can never know.

I do freelancing not for companies but myself. Freelancing in companies leaves you with difficult timetables, different requirements, no holicay or sick money, no pension scheme. Dry up hours have to be planned by you and saved for. Then study, work on a website, go have hair cut Smile Also, no private company will hire people on work contract unless they can use you 110%. Otherwise, you freelance because companies want to pay 15% tax for freelancing rather than 28% for contract worker+sick pay+holiday pay.

As for American English school (www.ames.lt) just drop them email with cv+cover letter and see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
George Best

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Vilnius Pedagogical University Reply with quote

I emailed Irena Navickiene Director of the Language centre([email protected]) in the Pedagogical University with my CV last Friday and like you, I am awaiting a response. Who did you email? What address?Is there an English version of the job advertisement? Where do I find their job advertisement?

I emailed American School a few weeks back and they said they had nothing going.
Kootvela

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember where I emailed at VPU, somewhere into the personnel department.

As for you, they are still probably having it translated Laughing

No English version of the job ad exists.

As for American English a) they are fully booked b) spam ate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
George Best

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kootvela,

It is good to see who I'm talking to. Did you get any response from the VPU in the Pedagogical University yet? I would be very interested in getting any feedback from them. If you hear anything, I would be grateful if you would let me now.
Kootvela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reply yet. Well, they have never been fast, anyway. That just shows how much they need staff, eh? Smile I'll let you know if anything comes up but I wouldn't have much hope.
George Best

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kootvela,

Do you have Skype? If so, what is your Skype name?There are so many things I would like to talk to you about the teaching situation in Lithuania.
Kootvela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElePran. Now online.
George Best

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kootvela,

I have read parts of your Online Journal and I find it fascinating reading.It is very insightful into the realities of freelance teaching, especially in Vilnius. I have emailed you and left a message for you on Skype.

Best of luck for your meeting with clients tomorrow.I hope it works out well for you.

Talk to you soon.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kootvela wrote:

1) It depends on how many hours you work. A full timer can get about 1800-2200lt (from my experience), 1 USD is 2,5lt.

That seems on the low side relative to other countries, a native teacher here starting off with an established school would get at least 3000 lt plus free flat. I can say from personal experience that with privates 5000 lt equivalent is doable in Riga. Based on my trips to Vilnius, prices here are about 10-15% more than in Vilnius based on equivalent prices in the pan-Baltic chains (Double coffee, Rimi, cili pizza, Maxima etc) but a teacher would probably still be better off.

How much could a native speaker get per clock hour doing privates in Vilnius?

Anyway Kootvela, good job on all the info.
Kootvela

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonniboy wrote:
Kootvela wrote:

1) It depends on how many hours you work. A full timer can get about 1800-2200lt (from my experience), 1 USD is 2,5lt.

That seems on the low side relative to other countries, a native teacher here starting off with an established school would get at least 3000 lt plus free flat. I can say from personal experience that with privates 5000 lt equivalent is doable in Riga. Based on my trips to Vilnius, prices here are about 10-15% more than in Vilnius based on equivalent prices in the pan-Baltic chains (Double coffee, Rimi, cili pizza, Maxima etc) but a teacher would probably still be better off.

How much could a native speaker get per clock hour doing privates in Vilnius?

Anyway Kootvela, good job on all the info.

I've been to Riga this September. I'm in love with the city. *heartbroken*
I've read Riga suffers from inflation problems. I spent a considerable amount of lt there. I was like 'oh, just 20 santims' but a moment later "ahh...1 lt! Give it back!!!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

I haven't been to a Double Cafe in Vilnius. Paying 8 lt for a cup of coffee isn't my idea of having a cup of coffee. For anyone's information, 1 Euro is something 3,5 lt.

As for your question, a native speaker with own students would get as much as he/she wants to charge. You can have your nationality as a plus while agreeing about the price, but some people prefer Lithuanian teachers. Some said, because non-native teachers do prepare for the lessons and native teachers just bring a textbook and that's it.

In an institution, I don't think your nationality would influence the rate to charge. Some schools may be willing to pay more but if they have enough teachers and can have more when necessary from Vilnius, you can just go away if you don't like their conditions.
George Best

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Salaries in Vilnius Reply with quote

Jonniboy,

I would to have to say that Kootvela is very accurate in her estimation about the salary levels in Vilnius.When you take the actual salary and accommodation allowance which some schools offer, 1800-2200 litas is about the amount you would expect to be paid by the schools.

As for the privates, you really need a local Lithuanian person with many contacts to recommend you for private lessons. In terms of charging, I would say somewhere between 30 and 40 litas for an academic hour(45 mins) and the usual lesson would be for 2 academic hours.Anything higher than this and you are pricing yourself out of the market.
However, I would think that it is not that easy for a foreigner to build up their own base of private studnets.

I'm interested about Riga.How do you go about getting privates in Riga and Latvia generally?
Kootvela

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Salaries in Vilnius Reply with quote

George Best wrote:

I'm interested about Riga.How do you go about getting privates in Riga and Latvia generally?

That's a seperate thread Smile

I charge 30lt per academic hour/ 60lt per 1,5h lesson 1:1. If there are 4 people, I charge 1,5h 30lt each person. That's General English, put 10-20lt more for a Business English lesson. If I have to use public transport a lot, that's included in the price as well.

I started in late September, and I'm surprised I managed to survive and even make some money. Not much, but that's a start. I have a few company offers to teach at their place, waiting for final confirmation, which would be great news. The summer will show if I can stay in business because it's usually low period for teaching.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Riga this September. I'm in love with the city. *heartbroken*
I've read Riga suffers from inflation problems. I spent a considerable amount of lt there. I was like 'oh, just 20 santims' but a moment later "ahh...1 lt! Give it back!!!" Laughing Laughing Laughing [/quote]

Yes, it's 13% inflation here now but prices of goods seem to be rising faster than that. Still I earn about double what I started off with two years ago so I'm not complaining too much!

Kootvela wrote:

I haven't been to a Double Cafe in Vilnius. Paying 8 lt for a cup of coffee isn't my idea of having a cup of coffee.

I'd agree but as the menu is in the same in all of them they're useful for judging average prices.

Kootvela wrote:
You can have your nationality as a plus while agreeing about the price, but some people prefer Lithuanian teachers. Some said, because non-native teachers do prepare for the lessons and native teachers just bring a textbook and that's it.

Yes but is that extra preparation through choice or necessity? I would say the latter - they need to know the answers to more random questions which any competent native teacher could answer off the top of their head. Local teachers often ask me questions about grammar or idioms and I know from my own experience when I gave a few Spanish classes here that they needed lots more preparation time.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Salaries in Vilnius Reply with quote

George Best wrote:
As for the privates, you really need a local Lithuanian person with many contacts to recommend you for private lessons. In terms of charging, I would say somewhere between 30 and 40 litas for an academic hour(45 mins) and the usual lesson would be for 2 academic hours.Anything higher than this and you are pricing yourself out of the market. However, I would think that it is not that easy for a foreigner to build up their own base of private studnets.

It's interesting what you say as I've found the opposite here - it's been very easy to get privates. Generally I've advertised in local online free advertising boards and have usually got at least one student per ad. In my first year, after about 4 months, I had 19 clock hours of privates and got to the point where I was considering ditching the language centres altogether. In the last 18 months I've backtracked though as I got fed up of last minute cancellations, disappearing students etc. Once just out of curiousity, I put an ad up just to test the response rate for a native spanish teacher (which i'm not) and I got 17 replies within a fortnight(!)

In terms of pricing though I haven't found it possible to get any more than 30lt per academic hour - I've tried putting the prices up but the response rate went down and a couple of students who did come either attended erratically or dropped out soon after complaining that they couldn't afford it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: