Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TreeWoman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: January work Reply with quote

Greetings! I am new to the list and TESOL. I am currently working on a TESOL cert, have an MA in Anthropology and been an instructor at a university in the States for 5 1/2 years in the Anthro dept. I am a US citizen and have traveled to a reasonable extent (esp Mid East and Europe). Now, I am thinkin' it is time to bump it up and live overseas.

I am hoping for a bit of advice on the hiring scene. I am planning on having my cert completed by Dec 04. I am very interested in teaching in either Oman (Muscat) or UAE. I visited both this past Aug. I understand that there are less positions in mid-year, but is it realistic to hope for a few options?

Any input is most welcome. I look forward to your responses.

Peace
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TreeWoman,

You are right not to be too overly optimistic about finding a job mid-year. But, you lose nothing but your postage in applying. Smile I fear that you may be at a major disadvantage because of two things - first most Middle East jobs require a related MA plus ESL/EFL experience. (often the jobs that do not require an MA are not the most desirable jobs) They often will accept other MAs but that is normally when people have extensive teaching experience along with a TEFL Cert.

Another problem is that I am interpreting your message to mean that your teaching has NOT been language teaching, but Anthropology. As you know from your work on your cert, these are very different types of teaching. Do try to get ESL teaching experience in the next year to put on your CV/resume or if you already have some, try to add to it.

And, if you get responses, I recommend checking with this board before accepting any jobs to learn what you can about the employer. Good Luck!!

VS
stabnkill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read today in the Times of Oman that the Oman Tourism and Hospitality Academy (OTHA) is hiring English teachers and IT/CALL teachers for Feb.

Last edited by stabnkill on Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
manonatrain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: nice post stan Reply with quote

Surprised

Well, I disagree, I think working as a teacher for several years is do-able in Oman if you are with a good supportive instituion. Or better yet, if you can switch after two years. Variety.

Working at other jobs will be low paying and more submissive generally...

I liked the last post... interestingly informative. But haven�t you heard of paragraphs...
TreeWoman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Me again Reply with quote

Thanks much for the info. Most appreciated! Please keep it coming. I am volunteering at the International Institute here in St Louis starting in Jan. I will get to tutor English for new refugees. That will give me at least some experience in an ESL setting.

Thanks on the ideas about MCBS and OTHA. They both look interesting. I had already been told about MCBS by a friend. Additional positive info is great. Take care. I need to get my grades done on this end for the moment Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: