Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your advice is needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anitka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Your advice is needed Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm planning to relocate to Canada in future, I teach English as a second language at the Moscow university and I'd like to know the opportunities to find a job in this field in Canada being a non-native speaker.

I'm going to study to get a CELTA. Will it increase my chances?
Thanks in advance for your time and opinions, they are really important for me because I need to make a decision.

Anna.
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to be a landed immigrant? There are many native English speakers teaching English, so unless your English is impeccable, I'd say it would be difficult. However I've taught with many non-native speakers in the past, so it's not impossible. Where do you want to live in Canada? A CELTA isn't a big deal in Canada, but a decent TEFL of some kind is vital. I'm glad I have a CELTA though.
anitka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm going to be a landed immigrant.
What kind of TEFL do you mean? I graduated from the Moscow State University, majoring in teaching English as a second language, so I have a university diploma and I have experience (3 years). Now I'm considering whether I should get a CELTA/DELTA or not. What's your opinion?
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a decent TEFL certificate, I mean one that is at least 120 hours, with a teaching practicum and ideally one that is moderated externally. Do you have a graduate degree or a bachelors?
anitka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A graduated degree.
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend getting a Celta and then applying to some colleges and/or universities with ESL programs. I don't know where you plan on living, but there have been a lot of budget cuts to many ESL programs and there are alot of qualified teachers in Canada looking for work.
ntropy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Tough Reply with quote

Teaching ESL/EFL is a very tough proposition in Canada. Only short term contracts on offer and low salaries. I, for example, still don't know if I have a job in the new year. Semester starts on Jan. 5 but they won't tell me if they're extending my contract until Jan. 12. Depends on how many students show up. Not a nice way to live. I'm looking to go overseas. Again. The conditions are better. Even though my (non-Cdn) family would like to stay here, it's hard to support them on this kind of situation. Simply too many teachers available, which makes it even harder for non-Canadians since all public institutions must advertise for a local first. Church groups relying on volunteers drive the qualifications/conditions down for professionals.

I work at a Cdn. university. The large majority of our staff have worked overseas but only one has a CELTA. The management doesn't have a clue what it means or what it is.
ntropy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: ddd Reply with quote

Sorry, Anitka

I meant to wish you good luck in my last post. Not only with your TEFL quest but also with life in Canada overall. Where will you be living?
anitka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough Reply with quote

ntropy wrote:
Teaching ESL/EFL is a very tough proposition in Canada. Simply too many teachers available, which makes it even harder for non-Canadians since all public institutions must advertise for a local first. Church groups relying on volunteers drive the qualifications/conditions down for professionals.

And if I'm going to be a landed immigrant, will it be still tough to get a job?
I don't know where I'm going to live yet, but I've heard that the job market in Canada for teachers is especially tough. Is it really so?
anitka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question: if CELTA isn't widely recognized in Canada. Will TESOL be better? Or with my Moscow State University diploma in teaching English I'm more or less ok?
ntropy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Don't despair Reply with quote

Dear Anitka,

I hope I didn't paint too bleak a picture for you. As a landed immigrant you'll have as good a chance as a native Cdn. The question will be your qualifications. Few places seem to recognize foreign qualifications. You'd be better off with a CELTA I feel. While most management here don't know what CELTA is 'cause they're not teachers, the teachers do and end up educating the bosses.

Teaching in all areas is very iffy at present here with the emphasis on govt. cutbacks. You may well be able to find a position but it will probably be short term and may only get paid for teaching hours, not prep.

Best of Luck
shenyanggerry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the rules in all provinces but in the public system in Quebec (where most opportunities lie), you need a Quebec teachers licence. You must pass a competency exam in French to teach within the French education boards where virtually all the opportunities lie.

My Ex GF has a BA, a Quebec teachers licence and seven years teaching experience at an English high school. Later, she did a Certificate in TESL - full academic year. She speaks passable French but failed the written French exam. She is not eligible to teach in French public schools!

She did pick up a couple of short term four hour per week type contracts which involved about three hours of driving - no transportation allowance. She made about $20 per hour for actual class time; nothing for preparation or the paperwork which she had to deliver if she wanted to get paid!

If your L1 isn't English, unless you have near native competence IN THE PRESTIGE NORTH AMERICAN DIALECT, I suspect your chances are not good. Sorry.
ntropy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: link Reply with quote

Anitka,

try this link for a Russian/EFL teaching job in Alberta

http://www.teachingjobs.com/index.phtml?s=1&a=vecn&j=30314
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job market is tough in Canada for teachers of ESL and as someone also pointed out, Canada often doesn't recognize foreign educational qualifications. I can't tell you how many Russian doctors and scientists I've taught in Canada, working minimum wage jobs. Many of whom wished they had stayed in Russia because there they had respect and felt a sense of accomplishment. A lot of them told me that if it wasn't for their children, they would have returned.
anitka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
The job market is tough in Canada for teachers of ESL and as someone also pointed out, Canada often doesn't recognize foreign educational qualifications. I can't tell you how many Russian doctors and scientists I've taught in Canada, working minimum wage jobs. Many of whom wished they had stayed in Russia because there they had respect and felt a sense of accomplishment. A lot of them told me that if it wasn't for their children, they would have returned.

I know the situation with doctors because our diplomas aren't widely recognized abroad, especially doctors qualifications.
And I'm ready for difficulties that's why I'm asking in advance and probably ready to get a CELTA to make things easier a bit.
And one more question - is it a problem that I speak not a North American accent but British RP?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: