Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seasons Greetings!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard ame

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Seasons Greetings!!! Reply with quote

Hi fellow posters

Just wanted to take the opportunity to wish everone residing in this wonderful country a Merry Christmas and a happy New year . I am looking forward to the short week (anyone working on the 25th? ) only one day off but it should be marked by those of us who are estranged from our families, what do you think? There are a few in this city at least who actually work on Christmas day comments anyone !!
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best to you aswell richard. My day, in the Gulf, will begin by going for a(n open air) swim. Working from 11.30 until 7.30 pm then going round to a friend's house to try and bring a bit of festivity to this part of the world. Ther's also the possibilty I might get a little tipsy... Ok I'll get alot tipsy
lucy k

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I send my holiday wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone as well! I am one of the few in this city (Istanbul) who is teaching on Christmas day, unfortunately. But with mostly a Turkish teaching staff, I guess that's to be expected. But I still have the evening to share a good meal with my fellow yabanci Christmas-celebraters! And getting tipsy is always a good way to celebrate!
Anitata

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas to you to everyone as well. Its wired that no-one at my school is celebrating anything (not even New Year). Last year this time, I was at Sunshine Cape Town....feeling a bit down at this time of the year alone here in Istanbul...well, at least I have a day off.....Perhaps will have a big dinner with few friends. All the best on this coming new year. Wish the world will become a better place in 2004.
Leila2003

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Merry Christmas Reply with quote

Hey there!! Just want to wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a Joyous and Prosperous New Year!!! I am dying to get to Turkey but am still trying to save enough money here in K.S.A. Will be in istanbul on the 22nd January and looking forward to walking in the streets without wearing a huge black covering. Laughing Anyway will be working on Christmas and like Anita I miss "sunny South Africa"...I know most of you are used to White Christmas but a South African X-mas is one you definitely have to experience.

Best wishes to everyone once again and countng the days when I can go to the cinema and walk in the street unaccompanied YEAH!!!
FGT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas to you all - Richard, Margaret, Damien, Dave, Yaramaz, Scot, Ghost etc etc
Christmas day is a holiday for us. Festivities start with a pub quiz tonight then church tomorrow morning. Christmas dinner with friends in the evening.
Wishing you all a very merry Christmas and a happy, peaceful and prosperous New Year.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: work on thursday Reply with quote

You work on Thursdays ?

What is this ?

I thought Thursday and Friday were the weekend in KSA and the Gulf States ?
Leila2003

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is but becos I work at a pvt. K-12 we offer thursday remedial classes, TOEFL and a creative writing class to boot.....furthermore, I sit on a curriculum development committee...so yeah I'm working on thursday Crying or Very sad Hope the rest of you make up for it for me!!
gelin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, wish you all a very Merry Christmas and an even better New Year. I guess I should count myself lucky when I say that I get both Thursday and Friday off Smile Hate to gloat, but I will. We also got huge Christmas baskets, a tradition here.

On a more serious note, those in Istanbul please be careful this Christmas as there are terrorist rumblings from both inside and outside Turkey concerning Istanbul attacks planned. Don't know whether to believe them or not, but being cautious won't hurt.

Mutlu yillar herkese.
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott the official weekend in Qatar is now Friday-Saturday
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: weekend Reply with quote

so in Qatar it is Fri and Sat - like Libya

I heard that in Brunei it is Friday and Sunday with Saturday a working day !
SweetOne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently in Bursa, but will be heading off to Fethiye shortly. The foreign teachers had to work on Monday, but we are off until the 5th. Smile Lucky me, I know. However, Christmas here is a bit wierd. Everyone is going about their business as usual. Since this is my first holiday abroad, I am feeling a bit homesick. I miss the festivities more than I expected. While I am not a religious person, I enjoyed getting together with my friends and family in a traditional celebration of the season. Last night was difficult because Christmas Eve was the big night for me back home. sniffle sniffle whimper whimper

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweetone, don't sniffle and whimper too long. Bayram is just round the corner( I too got that feeling this morning when I phoned home, in the middle of everybody opening up their pressies)
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my record Christmas this year. Not one single card or present! Crying or Very sad
FGT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, Mike. Special HAPPY CHRISTMAS thoughts flying to you now!
My school had a "secret Santa" whereby everyone who wished to participate (and nearly everyone did: from cleaners and canteen staff to DOS) drew a name out of a hat and bought and wrapped a present for that person. The presents were put around the tree and everyone got one on Christmas Eve.
Other than that I had three presents to open on Christmas Day and hardly any more cards. But I still had a good Christmas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: