Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs specifically for Americans in Germany
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StralsundAmi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Jobs specifically for Americans in Germany Reply with quote

Razz For those of you who are not aware. There are many jobs in Germany for Americans, specifically. You must hold an American passport to apply. You are paid in American dollars. There are some limitations depending how long you�ve already been in Germany and your residency status. The lack of a permanent visa, a work permit and that you are new to Germany are all pluses Surprised check out this website. www. usajobs.gov
I receive an email from them each week with all new jobs available in Germany for Americans. Be sure to follow the specific procedures for applying which can be somewhat complex, if you want your application to be taken seriously. Good Luck
SaraLF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Thanks for the tip Reply with quote

That sounds great, thanks for the tip Smile
Deicide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jobs specifically for Americans in Germany Reply with quote

StralsundAmi wrote:
Razz For those of you who are not aware. There are many jobs in Germany for Americans, specifically. You must hold an American passport to apply. You are paid in American dollars. There are some limitations depending how long you�ve already been in Germany and your residency status. The lack of a permanent visa, a work permit and that you are new to Germany are all pluses Surprised check out this website. www. usajobs.gov
I receive an email from them each week with all new jobs available in Germany for Americans. Be sure to follow the specific procedures for applying which can be somewhat complex, if you want your application to be taken seriously. Good Luck

Bleh...I looked at those jobs...seriously how many apply to most of us? I could list them but that would be a waste of time...better yet earning $...hmm let's see what the current exchange rate is: $1=0.7850 Euro, wow it's below the .80 mark... Rolling Eyes
StralsundAmi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Negative Nay-sayers Reply with quote

True, at the exchange rate it�s not as good as Euros but many of the jobs are in the 25,000-45,000 range. I have a friend in Wurzburg who applied and was hired, now working forty hours a week, paying off student loans which doesnt have to be converted back to dollars and has benefits. Good luck finding that teaching English part time. Try not to be such a pessimist, it may give you a fresh outlook on living in Germany. Exclamation
Seibu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say.....one thing you learn quickly on these teaching message boards is that 80% of the regulars appear to be complete pessimists.

Hate to be sitting in that classroom.
Rebel1981

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if things have changed in the last few years, but when I was teaching in Germany in 2002, seven of the teachers that I worked with did not have EU passports. They had legal visas to work in Germany, they were not married to an EU citizen, and five of the seven teachers were American. These teachers paid taxes, were on a contract and lived and taught in Germany just like an EU citizen. Being close friends with them, I know that there were no special circumstances that allowed for them to work in Germany legally. They just applied for the job online, were hired, arrived in Germany, registered with the authorities and started work. That just shows that it is not impossible for a non-EU citizen to work and live in Germany unless things have really tightened up since 2002.
Rebel1981

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add that the school advertised on an ESL job board similar to this one to find teachers. They did not post positions on the website that the OP is referring to.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have really tightened up since 2002.
smoofy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: 2.0 Reply with quote

Seibu wrote:
I was about to say.....one thing you learn quickly on these teaching message boards is that 80% of the regulars appear to be complete pessimists.

Hate to be sitting in that classroom.

I can do nothing but applaud at this point. Maybe the non-pessimists should start a new part of Dave's ESL Cafe? Dave's ESL Cafe 2.0 (The Helpful Version)
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a pessimist.
I'm simply more familiar with EU hiring laws than you appear to be.
They apply to me, too, and I've been around for ten years.
Brian Boyko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Jobs specifically for Americans in Germany Reply with quote

Unfortunately, most of those jobs require working for the U.S. Military. That's an ethical line I'm not willing to cross.
GF

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Jobs specifically for Americans in Germany Reply with quote

Brian Boyko wrote:
Unfortunately, most of those jobs require working for the U.S. Military. That's an ethical line I'm not willing to cross.

Then don't cross it and leave them to others who are less 'holier than thou.'
Brian Boyko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Jobs specifically for Americans in Germany Reply with quote

GF wrote:
Brian Boyko wrote:

Then don't cross it and leave them to others who are less 'holier than thou.'

The problem with being accused of elitism is that in order to defend yourself, you have to argue that your standards aren't that high.

Let me rephrase then: "Unfortunately, most of these jobs require working for the U.S. Military. In the light of events of the past half-decade, that's an ethical line that no decent person should cross."
GF

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to make this a political argument and I won't. Life is too short and the holidays are here. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
puhutes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true! I was starting to feel my TESOL certificate and my ideas of coming to Germany were really stupid because of the pessimism on this website. However, I've had nothing but luck since I've been here. I make between 35-45Euros an hour and am certainly not short of work here. English is certainly something we can do better and they need Smile
Happy Holidays and Good Luck in 2008 everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: