Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting the record straight at QU
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toughcookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see, Thursday wasn't picking on anyone. Yet he/she is being picked on!
So here we go again! Is this going to turn into another mud slinging contest?
People are people, Thursday has been giving useful info for some months now. Does it really matter how he/she chooses to express him/herself?
I thought the post was pretty balanced and harmless.
Let people live, for heaven's sake!
TC
bje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as I can see, Thursday wasn't picking on anyone.

LOL! You could benefit from re-reading his/her posts, honing your reading skills and taking a serious reality check, dude.
toughcookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bje, my post was not a personal attack on you.

It is very funny that posters can, in the same post, explain to others less knowledgeable that there are meanies out there who make personal attacks on other posters (because they are drunk Rolling Eyes ), while at the same time criticizing posters themselves for tone and immaturity. Now that is pretty funny to me!

The fact is that Thursday 12 has been posting info about QU that is both true and useful. You, VS and a handful of others don't like the way he/she says what he/she has to say and that is your prerogative.

What I can say is that the situation at QU has improved (from last year), that some like it, some don't and management has its issues. I also know I could be describing just about any university in the world with these words...

Merry Christmas!
TC
bje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The fact is that Thursday 12 has been posting info about QU that is both true and useful. You, VS and a handful of others don't like the way he/she says what he/she has to say and that is your prerogative.

Fair enough...it sounds like yourself and she/he are buddies there at QU. Maybe Thursday 12 is aiming to disguise their regular writing style; I know a few people prefer to do that...
toughcookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you think we're friends. I have actually no idea who Thursday is. Been trying to figure that one out... Smile
TC
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toughcookie wrote:
It is very funny that posters can, in the same post, explain to others less knowledgeable that there are meanies out there who make personal attacks on other posters (because they are drunk Rolling Eyes ), while at the same time criticizing posters themselves for tone and immaturity. Now that is pretty funny to me!

Glad that one is able to provide you with some amusement. But, one would think that an educational professional would want to write in a manner that does not invite derision. When a message to English teachers is written in the vernacular of a California teen ager, the message is lost. He has useful information to share, but any writing teacher just ends up being appalled at the form and ignores the message.

That is not an attack. It is what I would call constructive criticism.

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some HCT people say the same about you, that your main fix is surfing Dave's and giving your two cents worth under a variety of alter egos yourself.

Ha! With a few thousand posts under her belt, I don't think VS has time to maintain an alter-ego. No need, really. She just tells you how it is using the one handle. Unless I'm VS's alter-ego...
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS, you're wrong. The post was good, and the poster has an excellent command of style.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Yes, SJ, I know how much you like American slangspeak...

Next it will be textspeak.

VS
(shhh.. mishmumkin... don't tell...)
burnout

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS Sorry to disappoint you. There's only one of me, myself and I. But if you feel the need to make silly allegations, go ahead. I am not alone in my resentment of what happened at QU in the last couple of years. There were so many of us who were victimized and shortchanged that I have lost count. Most of us who were fired had once been in a very positive work environment with good, transparent and fair leadership. Two excellent heads left suddenly under very suspicious circumstances. Everything changed when the new management took charge. The new leadership began an era of authoritarianism and control that made a lot of people ask questions, this ended up in many of those teachers, including myself, being fired. They were fired not because they were bad teachers but because they did not agree with the new management's policies or the management didn't like them, they were too outspoken, or they came from the wrong country or the wrong university or had the 'wrong' degree or whatever other idiotic excuse was dreamed up. I agree there have been many positive changes and developments in these last couple of years, but these changes were made thanks to the hard work and input of the teachers, both new and old. The good things that happened were because of committed teachers making things work, despite the screwing around on the top. Without such committed teachers and their hard work, the management could not and cannot function. Instead of management showing their appreciation for the efforts people made for the takeover transition period, good teachers were fired - for any number of reasons, none of them really valid but certainly justifiable when somebody wants to consolidate power. Most of us were victims of circumstances and change, we were not bad or incompetent teachers. Your informant is probably on the management team from the things you say and of course will give you another version of events. You don't seem to want to accept that people were wrongfully dismissed from the QU English department. In the US, this would not have happened as teachers have certain civil rights supported by labor commissions and labor laws. They could fight it. In this region, nobody is really protected against wrongful dismissal. If your boss wants to get rid of you, he can. He can fabricate reasons for whatever he does. That's the way it works. I posted because I wanted people to know about my unhappy firing experience. My firing worked out for me. I lucked out and got another job, others I used to work with didn't. My moniker is very clear. When I got fired, I felt burned and had a complete burnout. VS, I find your moniker is very interesting and revealing as well as concealing. Veils can cover blemishes and defects as well as beauty. Veils can also affect peripheral vision and give people a blinkered outlook. Policies introduced by the new hard line management in the English department in the last couple of years have screwed up the lives of some teachers; some people have managed to pick up the pieces and move to the next stage, including me, but some have not. They are the undeserving victims in the annual staff purge. My point is some of the management people lack the proper skills to run a successful department. Even I didn't know how much was really lacking until I started working in a new place with real professionals. My firing has given me a positive career change but it hasn't for a lot of others. I have attempted to set the record straight - my record. I've had my say and just want to get on with my new career and new life. Masalama.
The Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Two excellent heads left suddenly under very suspicious circumstances. Everything changed when the new management took charge. The new leadership began an era of authoritarianism and control that made a lot of people ask questions, this ended up in many of those teachers, including myself, being fired. They were fired not because they were bad teachers but because they did not agree with the new management's policies or the management didn't like them, they were too outspoken, or they came from the wrong country or the wrong university or had the 'wrong' degree or whatever other idiotic excuse was dreamed up.

Very Happy
Absolutely right! Absolutely right!
Laughing gotta believe her/him! Gonna tell you my story later!
Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: