Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seasons Greetings!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogazicibaby

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Merry Christmas Reply with quote

Just wanted to add my wishes for Merry Christmas. We have 12 days of it and its not over till the 6th eh?
This is my third year in Turkey and its the first time that any of my packages have actually arrived on time.
My school let me make up 8 hours ahead of time - those classes end this Wednesday and I can make up 3 hours in the next week- those classes don't end for another few weeks. So- I ended up with a 4 day holiday, which was really nice.
Every year gets a little bit better- but like many of you- I really miss the big familly events at home!
Take care and hope everyone has a happy new year!
ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Christmas.... Reply with quote

This language school in Central Anatolia catering to two Universities, situation was as follows:

Christmas day off for the foreign staff, with makeup classes before and after Christmas day, so we worked the same number of hours for the week.

Presents were bought for the three foreign teachers who also bought for the same people.

In February there should be one week to 10 days off. Some of the staff will be resigning then and seeking greener/more congenial pastures.

If you like working with easy going University students this is the post for you.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: apparitions Reply with quote

"some of the staff will be resigning"

Ghost always writes about himself in the third person. Maybe he is going ?

Maybe he is going to take up that "catering opportunity" (selling hot dogs and ice cream ?)
ghost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

Maybe - but I am not 56 years old and cynical to boot...

How much energy do you have as someone well past the half century closer to 60?

Just a question - no ageism meant...
FGT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not being ageist, why mention age at all? Is it relevant? Nobody has mentioned your age (have they?) so why raise the topic unless you want to make an issue of it?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Youthism Reply with quote

He has raised it because he subscribes to the nonsensical modern idea that Youth is something positive.

Sensible people know that there is a premium on age and wisdom, but then who would accuse ghost of being sensible ?

I will continue my battle against Youthism, Ageism and all other Isms.
ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Wisdom - who are you kidding? Reply with quote

Quote: ' A premium on age and wisdom.' If that is the case - that is not reflected in the silly, childish comments that you have been making through this medium.

Your constant suggestions about finding other employment could well apply to you, because let's face it - most people your age are not attractive to employers in this field. Why?

1. Fresh 'young' faces are more popular in schools than old, weather beaten ones. Just go into any Language school cafeteria and you will see the young teachers surrounded by eager young students. The older teachers (those over 35-40) usually only have a few followers (if any). The followers (if any) are usually kindred, bitter spirits like the man we are talking about.

Since young teachers are more popular than older ones, and since language schools are money making businesses, it is clear that older candidates are at a vast disadvantage.

When recruiting foreign teachers for a language school in Antalya, the owner specified that he did not want anyone over 40, no matter how brilliant their qualifications.

In many Asian countries there is actually direct age discrimination posted on the job adverts. E.g. in many Taiwanese schools (International schools) they do not want anyone past 35.

So with all of the above, it would be better for the smart alec to be making some good plans for mutual funds etc....
daveryan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wisdom - who are you kidding? Reply with quote

Please see below

Last edited by daveryan on Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
daveryan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wisdom - who are you kidding? Reply with quote

Ghost, or should I say, Christopher, I find it hardly surprsing that you choose to add ageism to the racist and sexist views that you have previously polluted this forum with.

Good on you Scott, may you long continue in similar fashion. I can personally assure you that I will never buy a hot-dog from this man!!!!
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not aspire my dear ghostly Christopher to teach in some private language "school".

And God forbid that I should have you as a colleague !
ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Age and wisdom Reply with quote

The feelings are entirely mutual.

If those are the only wise and sage comments you can make after all these years - what have you learnt? Poor show...

It was entirely predictable, also, that the kindred spirit would unite forces with the former one. Poor quality individuals always unite, in an attempt to justify all the 'bitter injustices' they have been subjected to. Lashing out against those who call a spade a spade is a typical reaction. Lucid and clear thinking is something alien to these unfortunates.

In the catering business, obnoxious customers are shown the door. It should be the same in any business.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher, my dear ghostly spectre, who are you going to condemn next? The armless and legless? The balding or fat? The short? Age, nationality,and gender have nothing to do with your wisdom, your teaching abilities, your dullness and stupidity, or any of the things you have so broadly negatively painted with your tar brush. Gawd, you must think that older Turkish women must be the worst of all options... and yet at my school, it is these women who form the core of education: they are the classroom teachers and in my 18 months of working with them I have grown to really respect them and their knowledge and their ability to work with the often diffiult Turkish children. As for eski yabancilar, are you trying to tell me that you think that 60 year old Jen (who gave you a room in her flat back in June, if you remember, when you wre checking out our school) is not a valued teacher because of her age? Students and teachers here still miss her and wish she had stayed! And she sure wasn't here to get a man, as you implied earlier about the rest of us ugly fat unloved foreign chicks who can't get any attention in our home lands (yeah, i fall for any guy who shout out Hey sexy lady, where you from, hello hello I love you sexy lady!)

I look forward to your reply, as always.

regards,

kindred bitter spirit, yaramaz
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Read between the lines... Reply with quote

No - Yaramaz - you are mistaken in your belief in that one is condemning teachers who are older - if that were the case, it would be a form of self suicide, because this poster, himself, does not fit the 'new kid on the block' description.

If you read the entry carefully, all that was said was that generally older candidates are less attractive to schools than younger ones...because (once again) schools are a business, and yes - businesses are into money, so this is maximized because the clients (fee paying) in general prefer younger teachers. Maybe one should send you the surveys done of schools in which Turkish students in their vast majority claim that foreign teachers 'over 40' are 'boring.'

In the final analysis, students always vote with their feet, and when schools notice that older teachers' attendances are less than the younger ones, it makes sense for schools to hesitate in employing older teachers.

To exacerbate the above - older teachers usually ask for bigger salaries, and usually do not wish to share accommodation with '20 something party animals.' These extra requirements put extra financial strain on the schools.

What would you do if you were running a business - make money - or choose the philanthropic route? One can answer that question for you.
daveryan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Age and wisdom Reply with quote

Confused Can we presume in light of your previous comments that your next rant will take a homophobic slant or are you holding this particular prejudice in reserve for a reason that we don't know, but might suspect. If so, I will fully support your right to 'come out' on screen so to speak. I will obviously condemn any other posters for ridiculing you because of your sexuality, but retain the right to pour scorn on your obvious imbecility.

Dave

Ps. Do you prefer Chris, Chrsitopher, or indeed, Cwissie.
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

The moderator will eventually take care of vermin like you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: