Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of living in Addis Abeba

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boogiet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Cost of living in Addis Abeba Reply with quote

Hi all,
I've been quoted a monthly salary of 3000 birr with either shared accom or housing allowance.
Does that sound like I would be able to save anything? Or might that be enough to keep afloat? OR, would I be basically volunteering and have to supplement with savings?
Can you give me a rough idea of monthly cost-of-living for eating out except for breakfast, and drinking out maybe 2x a week?
Thanks for your expertise,
BT
Oh yeah! Does anyone know about the Gibson Youth Academy? It looks interesting though I don't have alot of info to go on... any input?
ritzkiss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3000 birr is doable but you have to somewhat conscious of money but not overly so. Meals you can go from 5-50 birr, draft beer 5 birr. Living in Addis is cheap.

Gibson is the largest private academy for Ethiopians and is run by an American woman who married an Ethiopian here. Heard alot of good and a little bad. So, as with most jobs, it really depends. When I was looking into them they responded quickly to email so it's worth asking them any questions.
Ernie Cuba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at GYA, it's okay. The best thing to do is fly out there and put your CV about and choose for yourself. A lot of people work for GYA because it seems to be the only school that actively recruits on the internet, have the confidence to know you'll get a job when you're there.

And learn how to spell city before you arrive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: