Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Valencia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Valencia Reply with quote

Valencia seems quite overlooked.. why is that? Anyone have much experience or time spent in this city or vicinity?

I'll be living near that city for something non-teaching related for awhile.. however I wouldn't mind picking up some parttime work.. or just moreso getting a general feeling for the city by any others who've been there (even if just passing through).. any impressions you have would be appreciated..
Mouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got there, myself (disgraceful I know), but the feedback I had from friends who went there was that it wasn't bad and wasn't great; a bit hotter than where we were living, but too quiet for them. Having said that, this impression was based on a visit of a day and a half, and therefore slightly suspect as to its accuracy.

My guess is that the problem with Valencia not getting much press is simply a case of a smaller city (is it a city?) near bigger more famous places. Happens everywhere and doesn't mean that there's nothin there (take my country, for example -- next to England, Ireland and Scotland, so many people don't even know we're here).
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely Valencia has its own Lonely Planet title.

Generally though, if I was just visiting as a tourist to Spain.. Andulasia, Barcelona, Madrid would definetely be the places to be..

Thanks for the feedback Mouse.. we can keep the forum alive! Wink
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Valencia and the surrounding towns. The beaches are pretty too. It's not a party place, but enjoyable.
Mouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... I don't know about keeping the forum alive, Tiger Beer... maybe bring it back from the dead? Shocked
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
Uh... I don't know about keeping the forum alive, Tiger Beer... maybe bring it back from the dead? Shocked

Agreed..

I'm thinking its better over on www.multimediamadrid.com or www.madridman.com

Much more interaction, community, and just about everything.
avahanian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Valencia Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Valencia seems quite overlooked.. why is that? Anyone have much experience or time spent in this city or vicinity?

I'll be living near that city for something non-teaching related for awhile.. however I wouldn't mind picking up some parttime work.. or just moreso getting a general feeling for the city by any others who've been there (even if just passing through).. any impressions you have would be appreciated..

Hi,

Valencia is overlooked simply because both Barcelona and Madrid are better places to work and to party - but mind you, Valencia offers a lower cost of living and is loads of fun as well.

You'll have more opportunities in the aforementioned two cities, but Valencia is special in its own right. It's got fantastic beaches, the weather is nice (and not as hot as Madrid in the summer), and although it doesn't have as many architectural delights as Barcelona or as many hangouts as Madrid, Valencia is Spain's 3rd largest city, so there's plenty to do.

Don't count out Valencia if you plan on living in Spain!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thats the impression I have.. Valencia is seriously overshadowed by Madrid & Barcelona.

I ran into a friend who'd been both to Barcelona and Valencia. He said he loved Valencia because he got to know the Local people better. He was saying Barcelona was beautiful, but very international and so much tourism and such.

My experiences are that visiting touristic cities are great.. but living in popular touristic cities isn't so good - another foreigner isn't anything special combined with high costs for everything. So I'm hoping Valencia will be a great place for living.

We'll see upon arrival.. Wink
avahanian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Yeah, thats the impression I have.. Valencia is seriously overshadowed by Madrid & Barcelona.

I ran into a friend who'd been both to Barcelona and Valencia. He said he loved Valencia because he got to know the Local people better. He was saying Barcelona was beautiful, but very international and so much tourism and such.

My experiences are that visiting touristic cities are great.. but living in popular touristic cities isn't so good - another foreigner isn't anything special combined with high costs for everything. So I'm hoping Valencia will be a great place for living.

We'll see upon arrival.. Wink

hi Tiger,

all three of those cities are great....I think Madrid and Barcelona are more fun, but Valencia is more laid back and there aren't as many tourists (this is a good thing believe me).

If you want more work opportunities, Madrid and Barcelona are by far the better places.

If I were you I'd go to Madrid first, and then branch out to other Spanish cities
Munchen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Keeping post alive Reply with quote

Just came across this post today. If you are interested in getting a taste of Valencia, go to a site called virtourist.com and there is one for a little virtual tour of Valencia. In fact, it even shows the building where I was an EFL instructor back in the '70s, the building shown with the Cervantes memorial statue. It was the site of the Centro de Estudios Norteamericanos at the time, which is now at a different site.
No, Valencia is not quite the grandeur of Barcelona or Madrid but it has a character of its own and all of us enjoyed our experience there.

Also it was great to experience the annual Fallas festival in March, not to be missed. I was fortunate enough to have been there for it two years in a row. In addition to teaching, I was able to attend the Hispanic Studies program for foreigners in which it was easy to matriculate and have the same excellent faculty that the Spanish students had. All for US $50 per year!! Imagine an education costing that in the USA!!

This was, I might add, still during the Franco regime and pre-EU era.
I think I mentioned in another post, the more things change, the more they stay the same. There is probably much that hasn't changed. So my two bits, go if you can find work and are happy with a more laid back lifestyle than Madried or Barcelona.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: