Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thumbs Up for Brunei !
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsteventon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Thumbs Up for Brunei ! Reply with quote

I have read several negative postings about working in Brunei with CfBT. I can only state my own experience , although obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I have lived and worked in Brunei for the last 10 years and have never regretted coming here. It is a great place to live - peaceful and beautiful. My local school colleagues are a delight to work with and the students are respectful and work hard. The quality of life which Brunei offers me is much higher than I found working in the UK or Europe.It is also a great place to bring up children, as it is safe and there is plenty for them to do.

I have found CfBT to be fine - very helpful upon arrival and available to help when needed. That said, I do not expect them to solve any problems which may occur in day-to-day teaching. I recognise that that is between the teacher and the school....however, problems have been few over the years.

I would recommend working for CfBT in Brunei. There are many teachers who have been here for 10 years or more - I just wanted to post some positive comments, as there were so many negative ones in previous threads...
NETteacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: CfBT Pay rise Reply with quote

I agree with the comments above. I have only been here a few years but have found CfBT a very good outfit to work with in general. Project officers are recruited from the chalkface and so they have been supportive and friendly.

I have been lucky and got a really nice school. There are some schools where you may have a tougher time, but my impression in general is that Brunei folks don't like conflict and won't initiate one so as long as you are doing your job and being nice to people, you can get along OK here as an expatriate.

You do need to show respect for local traditions and religious considerations, e.g. dress modestly/neatly and alcohol restrictions are not really a problem unless you want to come here and drink yourself into oblivion every night.

CfBT has just increased teachers salaries by 25% so it is a good time to sign up here.

If you have more than two kids though, you'll only be assisted with school fees for two.
jsteventon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Brunei CfBT Reply with quote

As well as the pay increase, the minimum qualifications have changed, so now having Qualified Teacher Status is not necessary. May open it up for any one who has a degree and EFL qualification...
BigGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Does CfBT hire Americans? Reply with quote

Does CfBT hire qualified Americans? I once heard that they didn't. Has that changed?

Thanks
jsteventon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Does CfBT Emply Americans? Reply with quote

Hi

A short answer - YES. This may not have been so in the past, but they certainly welcome applications from Americans now....
BigGuy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Qualified Reply with quote

Previous poster, thanks for hte reply. How can I get in contact with the right people in CfBT Brunei?
jsteventon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Applying for Brunei Reply with quote

Hi

You should go to the CfBT Brunei website and you can apply there online. Address is www.cfbt.org
Just go to the Brunei Employment section.

Good luck!
BigGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Too old Reply with quote

I've just had a look at the CfBT website and it seems that due to government regulations 52 is the maximum age for teachers in Brunei, so that counts me out. Oh well.... such is life.
jsteventon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Brunei - too old Reply with quote

Hi

That should have been updated to 55yrs - not 52. Used to be 52, but now changed. Any better?!
Koreankiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: CfBT Brunei Reply with quote

Am very seriously looking at moving to work for CfBT in Brunei. I have spent the last two and a half years working in Korea. For the last year I have had a government school job here aligned with the EPIK programme. I would welcome any comments, positive or negative about Brunei.

I have a fairly positive outlook on things, and recognise that everywhere has its advantages and disadvantages. I'm not interested in hearing moans just for the sake of moaning folks. Please let me know what it is really like living in Brunei and working for CfBT. I would appreciate personal, factual and, if possible, verifiable examples to support comments (especially negative ones) and not just secondhand moans or hearsay 'might have beens'.

Many thanks to all and sundry.
jsteventon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: In Brunei Reply with quote

Hi Koreankiwi,

I have put several positive posts about Brunei and CfBT on this site- If you have any questions after reading them, do feel free to send me an email. As you gather, I can recommend it!
ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

The application process is quite demanding, and the checks are very thorough, including references. This is definetely not a place for average 'backpacker' type teachers.

I am applying and will hope for the best. If things work out, this might be the place to work until retirement.

Ghost in Korea (www.gifle.go.kr)
gajackson1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar situation here, as well -

10 years teaching in Korea; certified Texas sec ed teacher (speech/debate emphasis), with a 120-hour residency TEFL course 2 years ago, and wide range of work experiences.

I'm currently looking at ME/Northern Africa areas, for a 'semi-hardship' post for the next 2-3 years - meaning my fiancee & I will be away from each other barring vacations, and I am willing to really *work* hard at a job, but also hope to be compensated at a level that will allow us to save a lot during that time (I find the internet, gym, & outdoor recc to be helpful in that sense).

How are salary/benefit packages in comparison to the ME, such as Bahrain or Oman???

Anything else you can throw out here would be most appreciated!

Regards,

Glen

ps - if it is helpful, much longer posts/inquiries are on the general Africa & general ME forums.
jsteventon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Brunei salaries Reply with quote

Hi Glen,

I am afraid I don't know anything at all about Middle East salaries, having never worked there. I seem to remember people earning tidy sums in Saudi Arabia, but not sure if that still applies...The Brunei salaries are not sky high, but, as a single person you would be able to save quite a bit. You would have free housing, very cheap petrol and cheap entertainment, if, as you say,you are looking for outdoor activities / internet etc. There is an increment scheme, so the amount you could get would depend on years of experience etc.

Feel free to send me a PM if you wish...

Good luck with your decision-making!
gajackson1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

js ~

Thanks for the reply. Looking over the site & doing some research, it could be just the sort of thing I am looking for.

I did notice salaries are basically the same for primary & secondary teachers, although the workload (not bad by any normal educator's standard!) seems a little higher/heavier at the secondary level?

Housing & other package details seem good, as well - and the most important thing on my end isn't a sky-high salary; it is salary-to-savings possibilities (although Christina is also concerned somewhat about safety issues for me, as - re: the ME - I am not exactly a 'stay inside the compound' type).

Looking over the site, I also saw references to consultancy and other academic-related positions. I had explored some of that at one point with the Asia Harcourt-Brace brass. Do you know anything about the other academic-related positions?

I also saw/understand about the neccessity of a car (have one & drive it here in Seoul); is a motorcycle (cruiser) an option/alternative???

Cheers!

Glen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: