Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macau Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outbackjack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Macau Visa Reply with quote

Does anyone know how I can extend my visa for Macau? I went to immigration and they just laughed.
anninhk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you need a visa for Macau? Normally when travelling from Hong Kong you don't need a visa unless you come from African countries but even then my partner got a stamp from the Immigration Dept there and he didn't have to pay anything.
Perhaps you were ripped off by some travel agent as one told a friend of mine that she would need one for Macau and was going to charge her for it until I checked with the Macau Immigration site and found she didn't need one.
outbackjack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: macau visa Reply with quote

I got a 30 day visa the first time I arrived. Then went to Hong Kong for the day and coming back in immigration gave me 20 days. I need to know if I can extend the 20 days.
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: macau visa Reply with quote

outbackjack wrote:
I got a 30 day visa the first time I arrived. Then went to Hong Kong for the day and coming back in immigration gave me 20 days. I need to know if I can extend the 20 days.

The "20 day" chop sounds very odd...is it an actual visa or is it a chop-on-arrival in your passport?

May I ask what passport you are using for your stay in Macau? The list, below, allows passport-holders from 66 nations plus HKID card holders to enter without a visa:

The following was copied from http://www.macautourism.gov.mo/en/info/get2macau.php

Quote:
Visas are required by all visitors except:

a) Residents of Macau;

b) Nationals of Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cape Verde, Croatia, Czech, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mali, Malta, Mongolia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Tanzania and the United Kingdom(6 months) for a stay up to 90 days;

c) Nationals of Australia, Canada, Chile, India, Indonesia, Kiribati, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Namibia, New Zealand, Philippines, Samoa, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, the United States of America and Uruguay for a stay up to 30 days;

d) Nationals of China with valid Macau entry/depart documents, including residents of Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and overseas Chinese for a stay of up to 30 days;

e) The "Hong Kong Identity Card" (with symbol �*�, �***� or �R�), "Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card" or "Hong Kong Reentry Permit" holders may stay in Macau for a maximum period of one year.

f) Holders of Diplomatic Passport or "Laissez Passer" issued by the United Nations.

g) Holders of Consulate/Diplomatic documents issued by the Macau SAR or Hong Kong SAR.
outbackjack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a chop on arrival.
anninhk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like the only way you will get an extension is to leave again and return, or to go to the Immigration Dept in Macau and find out if there are any other types of visa for longterm stays. Probably will have to be a work/business/education visa.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: macau visa Reply with quote

outbackjack wrote:

I know this is an old post...

But, basically it's 30 days, then if you leave and come right back, they give you 20 days, than if you leave and come right back again, they give you 10 days. Then you basically can't come back to Macau again for I believe 3 months.

Basically its so that people can't just work illegally long-term by going back and forth.

However, if the person has a legal contract to work in Macau, and they govt is still processing it, they'll gladly extend it for you without an issue. But if a person is just 'hanging out' in Macau on tourist visas, than they have that other system in place.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is called the Backpackers visa...lots of EFL teachers fit this category these days running around looking for work in Asia due to their inability to find work in their respective western homelands which results in an exercise in futility for most would be EFL migrants. A sad reality of these times where visa rules in the APEC region are getting tighter and more stringent for those of us in the EFL profession! Shocked
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
That is called the Backpackers visa...lots of EFL teachers fit this category these days running around looking for work in Asia due to their inability to find work in their respective western homelands which results in an exercise in futility for most would be EFL migrants. A sad reality of these times where visa rules in the APEC region are getting tighter and more stringent for those of us in the EFL profession! Shocked

In Macau/Hong Kong...it's because the local Chinese hire Foreign Maids....this area has a ton of Filipinas/Indonesians looking for work all the time! They can look for about two months maximum, if they haven't found it by then, it's time to go.

I don't think there is enough ESL work available in Macau to have an ESL teacher crowd. It's too expensive to live in this area for that. Unlike say backpacker types in Thailand, etc. further south Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: