Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Social Life in Doha
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GulfProf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hopes that there was life outside of Kuwait are being dashed.... Crying or Very sad
GulfProf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an interview with QU so my interest in this topic has now been revived. I keep getting mixed messages about Doha. Some say that it's just as boring as Kuwait and others keep insisting that it's getting much better. Where is the truth? Somewhere in between? Any and all insights are welcomed!!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question... how many of the people have actually lived in both places? Laughing It will seem different for about one academic year... by the second year, you will be making the same complaints about Doha as Kuwait (or Manama or or). But booze is more easily available.

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just got an interview with QU so my interest in this topic has now been revived.

Me, too. Perhaps we should compare notes?
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: my half a bob's worth... Reply with quote

I lived in Doha for 3 years. I haven't lived in Kuwait but I have lived in Saudi and Libya. I really enjoyed living in Doha although I found the x-pats who'd been there for years totally weird and sometimes cliquey. If you are willing to spend a bit, there is loads to do. We used to go dune bashing, off shore fishing and boozing. We also played footy at least once a week, swam virtually every day and had loads of BBQs Oh yeah, the wife liked her shopping as well.
I think the people who slag the place off usually do so because of other things, ie the students aren't great or it's expensive or there's little totty about...there's loads to do. Sailing club, diving club, Doha Players, footy training, gyms, nice beaches, camping, dune bashing, sports clubs, fishing, kite boarding, eating out, cinema, squash leagues, boozing, etc etc. You have to take advantage of all that, it won't just come to you.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that is true of so much of the Gulf. The expats do tend to be cliquish. And those that like sports and other outdoor activities find much to enjoy. Boozing and eating out is very expensive. So, for those who went to the Gulf to pad the retirement funds and aren't into sports or beaches, you likely have to be happy with internet access and a pile of good books. Laughing

VS
ntropy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
KSA the worst place on Earth ? Try Nigeria, Burkina Faso, the Congo, Papua New Guinea, Birkenhead or Airdrie.

HEY! Airdrie rocks!
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishmumkin wrote:
Quote:
I just got an interview with QU so my interest in this topic has now been revived.

Me, too. Perhaps we should compare notes?

The Foundations Director, a certain Dr. Ali Al- A**h*le is a complete jerk! Be forewarned!

NCTBA
harrythehook

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar is a very expensive place to live. The rents are way out of proportion to the salaries. The nightclubs and pubs in the hotels cost a fortune. The only reasonable places are Garveys and the Rugby Club but you have to be a member and the membership is full. Rydges is not too bad but full of Aussies and Kiwis. Q is not the greatest place for single men. But you can make do if you have to. I've lived here for a couple of years and enjoyed most of it but the cost of living has driven me away. I can't afford to stay here on the salary I had.

There are plenty of hotels and good restaurants but they cost. So if you want a decent social life, be prepared to put your hand in your pocket and dole out. Otherwise stay at home and watch TV! I stayed home a lot and saved something but not enough. Now I'm moving on to the UAE where the big bucks are.
thursday12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

durn right - very expensive place so ya gotta keep yer cents in per pocket.
most people just conk down in front of the tv with a bottle and crash.
plenty ta do if ya got the moolah

sport scene is pretty good tho - lotta freebie events
bar scene pretty good but ya need the moolah
stickleback

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't all that much going on. This is why the good relations in the workplace become so important. However, they are building new hotels with fancy clubs, pubs and restaurants all the time. Some are really good like Rydges, the Sheraton (the Irish Pub), the Intercon (try Paloma) and Ramada. It's too bad so much is taking place at the hotels though but there are a lot of places to go to if you make enough money.

The main problem is salaries, people don't earn enough to have a really good social life. The big money makers are the engineers and oil company people.

Shopping here is very good. The mall scene is cool - there are a lot of them with good restaurants and cafes, even a Virgin Megastore which is well stocked with DVDs and books. he best mall in town is probably Villagio. City Center is a good place too. The biggest problem with the malls is the lack of parking space, especially on weekends. They could do with some affordable beach clubs. The hotels with beach clubs charge a fortune.

The fishing is great here. I like heading out to Al Wakra with my gear. Unfortunately, there is a lot of development going on down there which is too bad. I didn't join the sailing club, but I've heard it's pretty good. There are things to do if you have the money, the time and the inclination.

Although I am leaving, it's not because of lack of things to do.

Signing out of Qatar

stickleback the fisherman
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: erm....... Reply with quote

I think when you've been out in the Gulf for a while, you forget what good is. Rydges and the Sheraton were awful.

I had a Sheraton gym and beach club membership and I remember paying 7 quid for a poached egg and 6 quid for a pint of warm Fosters on a regular basis and that was 5 years ago.

Looking back........there was loads to do in Qatar but I'd have traded it all in for an afternoon at Fortress Fratton followed by a few wets with the boys.

Value for money wise it was Krap and I had a pretty good salary.
Reality check

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: It is good if you have friends Reply with quote

You can have a great social life if you have a good group of friends. Since you can hire somebody to do your housework, you have a lot of time to hang out with friends. Laughing There are a lot of outdoor sports activities if you like getting roasted alive. It is extremly dusty too, so if you are sensitive to dust stay away. Shopping is ok, not great, things are expensive, you will get bored quickly. Finding parking is a nightmare on the weekends. Restaurants are nice.

Try to avoid spending July and Aug there. There are absolutely nothing to do and it is hot as hell. Summer festivals are lame. Kids will go crazy if they have to stay there during summer vacation.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one comes to this part of the world for the social life. Surely !?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
I doubt that even Shirley does - though she's pretty desperate.

Regards,
John
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: