Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazonas English Academy, International School of Amazonas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kf6ezr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Amazonas English Academy, International School of Amazonas Reply with quote

I'm a soon-to-be credentialed high school English teacher interested in an EFL position in Brazil. I recently heard of a post that might fit - Amazonas English Academy, the International School of Amazonas. Has anyone heard anything about them? Does anyone have any tips for finding out what a school is really like? Unfortunately, I can't exactly run down to Manaus and check it out. Any suggestions that anyone can offer would be welcome. Thanks.
FuzzX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out all schools b4 you leave... I've been fvcked by so many schools round the world its not even funny...well looking back it is, but anyway. What do they pay, what are the hours, benefits, accomodations etc etc.

REALIZE this: You can easily make 20 - 30 US dollars/per teaching hour if you find your own students.

I use to live in Brazil and ran with the 'Smart' ESL pack. The dumb ones are over there making about 3 bucks an hour.
Don Lorenzo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey FuzzX,
I'm considering going to Brasil in April-May to teach English as well in the south (Curitiba) and I'd be interested in learning more about how you managed to get 20-30$/hour. I'd appreciate any feedback tips and suggestions you can pass onto me.

Valeu. Wink
tfern10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Don Reply with quote

I'm considering going to Brazil in May as well and looking for information. I also saw another post for school in Ituba in the posting forum.

Here anything or luck yet?
jjprine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Don Lorenzo,
I'm hoping to find a job in Curitiba also, but around July-August. Not to thread-jack, but do you already have a placement, or are you planning on finding one once you arrive? I'm trying to find a school before I go, but I'm somewhat averse to placement companies, though I am open to good ones.

So back on topic, does anyone know if AEA legit?
vista

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: working in brazil Reply with quote

wherever you go in brazil, put ads somewhere online and in newspapers, bulletin boards, and so forth, for english lessons- native speaker.

A school is a good base also to start to become known- but try to plan to work for yourself at your rates.

I have been in and out of brazil since 1984 and know some things. i have been married, and have a work visa consequent to that, but for sure that does not solve the income problem- become independent fast.

I'm in Saudi, planning to return to the south of brazil in june (cold there).
any questions, i wll try to help.
cheers
visa
peixehunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Isolation, disrespect, manipulation and bad attitude. Reply with quote

Although I was told they had a homestay for me it turned out I was living in a teacher house 15 minutes away from Ponta Negra and the closest shopping center. I was given one ride a week to go shopping with a limited time, about an hour, and I was constantly doing things in accordance with a group of 8 other teachers while we were all under the control of the owners of the school. Three other teachers and myself have all quit without giving notice because of the atmosphere of mistrust, disrespect and abuse that pervaded life at school and at home (which happens to be across the street from the school). We were treated like children and were under their control because we had no way of leaving. In fact, the day we quit we were told to leave the house that night but none of us could find a taxi or a ride out of that area, which is completely isolated from Manaus, brazilian culture, and any Portugues. If you can find a homestay the school your working for isn�t horrible, but the owners are manipulative and they will not provide a family for you. You will have to pay for a homestay and you will not have much money to live off of, but you will be expected to lesson plan when you don�t have the right materials and yelled at when you can�t meet their illogical expectations. Like I said, call us irresponsible, but four individuals decided independently to leave immediately due to the amount of stress we were taking on a regular basis. In fact, 3 teachers left the school before I arrived and took over my job at Fisk English which landed me at ASA. I think they felt the same way we did and were willing to do anything to leave. I would never spend an entire year living in that place and working for those people.
Looking for my place

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice... stay out of Curitiba. If you are looking for Brazil it is not here. This is the twilight zone of Brazil with cold weather and even colder, closed people to match... this is not only my opinion but that of soooo many others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: