Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RECRUITMENT AT QU
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrythehook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: RECRUITMENT AT QU Reply with quote

I applied to QU a few months back in reply to their advertisement on Dave's. I got a prompt formula reply but nothing since. I have a few interviews set up at TESOLArabia and was wondering if or whether I was going to hear from these people again. There was a great posting on recruitment at QU. I can't find it. Can it be put back? There was an awful lot of very useful information on it. I wish I'd saved it but it's too late now. There were answers to some of my questions on it. Is there an archive of deleted stuff? Can we get to some of the information that was on it? Much obliged for any help.

I wonder if the QU people are going to contact me, if not I'd appreciate a
no thank you letter. At least you know where you stand and I can get on with my other interview offers.
Chrisdaveloshoff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is put Qatar University at the bottom of the list, get ready for PI & ZU interviews.

The fact that you did not hear anything from them and not even a "thank you but no thank you", it tells you how professional they are. Imagine you work for them Twisted Evil

UAE has more to give in terms of social life than Qatar and wages are much higher too Very Happy .

Hope this helps.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
UAE has more to give in terms of social life than Qatar and wages are much higher too

Seemingly QU is starting their teachers w/ limited tertiary exp and a masters around 13,500. To say that the unis in the uAE are paying more would seem incorrect, no?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed threads are gone for a reason... never to be seen again. I actually answered some of your question on the other thread. Unfortunately few places bother to tell you if you are not being considered.

Is PI even hiring? Last I heard on here they had hardly any students and had stopped hiring. ZU is very competitive and you better have a good CV and experience to get in. If you haven't heard, I would hand in my CV again at TESOL Arabia.

VS
harrythehook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nothing from the head, is there someone else I should write to? I think I'll give up. I've got 4 confirmed interviews set up at TESOLArabia so things are looking good. One more, so maybe I should give QU a miss.
I am bothered by the fact that topics come and go, it seems very bizarre, especially when you can read far worse things on other places.
Maybe it's not meant to be, maybe QU is not for me. It would be nice to at least get a reply to my letters to the head. Maybe he doesn't reply if he doesn't want you? I think that may be it.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than worry about it because who knows if s/he has seen your papers or not, just put in a CV at TESOLArabia and do an interview if you need to.

Thread go when the same 2 or 3 people keep posting the same thing over and over and over. The problem, of course, is that often helpful information disappears in a thread of mostly drek, but the majority of the info is here.

VS
Chrisdaveloshoff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harrythehook wrote:
Still nothing from the head, is there someone else I should write to? I think I'll give up. I've got 4 confirmed interviews set up at TESOLArabia so things are looking good. One more, so maybe I should give QU a miss..

Make a big decision in your life: Leave QU for now before you regret it.

The fact that you secured 4 interviews, you are OK and just try to land a good job in the UAE.

Hope this helps.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and I also hear they are preparing good packages for prospective newbies!

I keep hearing these rumblings from my friends in HCT, but haven't heard anything concrete.
Chrisdaveloshoff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most UAE tertiary institutions like HCT, ZU & UAEU are offering highly attractive packages these days and this is confirmed by new employees. Just make sure you do not take any offer from an institution in the UAE that just took off.

Hope this helps again.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
offering highly attractive packages these days

What's highly attractive for somone w/ a few years of teriary experience? The story I heard from a friend in DMC was the AMC needed people so much that they were hiring MA TESOLs w/ limited exp started at 15,300. I wish someone getting that starting salary would post on here.
Chrisdaveloshoff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask for AED 18,000/A month and target 16,000 and yes and they are desperate and in need but still selective in the hiring process due to the volume of applicants.

Hope this helps.
yellofello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count yourself lucky harry!! My friend accepted a job there last fall and is genuinely miserable!!! He says they make them work hard for their bread, no appreciation for the hard work people do. The head doesn't even communicate with people, instead he uses a middleman, he sits back and watches and plays head-games. An incommunicado head is a problem. I met the guy at my own interview last year and did not warm to him. Good job I turned the offer down myself. You'd be much happier here in the UAE.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He says they make them work hard for their bread

Can you give specific details on this? It's just that a lot of unis in the UAE-like HCT and Zayed also make people work "hard for their bread". HCT, in particular, often requires their staff be on campus set hours when not teaching in addition to participating in committees, attending meetings, etc. I spoke to someone at QU who said you teach 20 hours and go home-no one is required to stay on campus when not in class. I suppose I need a frame of reference for what's "hard work".
redsoxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen Harry, (you sure have a weird screen name) come to the UAE. HCT in particular if you haven't already applied there. It's not too bad, decent wages and reasonable accomodation and conditions. I rejected a QU offer last spring and it was a good thing. My buddy who took up a job there is working his butt off, he has all kinds of nonstop little extra busy time work like appraisals and some turdy thing called an action plan. Latest email told me that at least half a dozen of the newbies have quit. The reasons seem to be the amount of work. Sure, teaching 18 - 20 hours is not a big deal, we sometimes do that at HCT but making people do all kinds of extras takes away from class prep time. If you have too much committee work, action plans, appraisals and whatever else they saddle the boffos there with, when do you have time to teach? My buddy is going nuts and thinking of joining the quitters. If you're into really living, the UAE is the place to be, bud. Have you applied? Don't go to Qatar. I spent a weekend there and there is zero to do. BORING! Just huge Landcruisers doing just that - cruising at killer speeds. Take my advice, the UAE is the place to be.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxman wrote:
Sure, teaching 18 - 20 hours is not a big deal, we sometimes do that at HCT but making people do all kinds of extras takes away from class prep time. If you have too much committee work, action plans, appraisals and whatever else they saddle the boffos there with, when do you have time to teach?

Have you ever actually worked at HCT?? You have just described them perfectly. Meetings, committees, more meetings, more committees... It is what drives many people away as one is stuck at the college for long hours every day. And then they decide to do some 'festival' which the students are supposed to organize, but the teachers do most of the work. On the weekends... no overtime paid.

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: