Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean HS Students in the Philippines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TawtViet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Korean HS Students in the Philippines Reply with quote

I am a US citizen working as a missionary in the Philippines. Some Korean HS students want to study with me. I have learned that Koreans memorize large lists large lists of individual words having no idea how to use them. I have an idea how to correct that worthless practice but would like to know some other inadequate ways Koreans are taught by someone who knows more about the public school practice in Korea. Since I am not in Korea I feel I should't use the Korean site.
I would also like to have any suggestions for really pleasing Korean HS students in English classes.
Note: I was quite shocked by a Korean man in his 20s who said he wanted to study more English grammar. Do they usually want that?
American English pilot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
I've been teaching Koreans for several years in the Philippines. Yes....they ALL expect grammar instruction, which is completely USELESS unless it's integrated with reading/writing. HOW useless you ask? In Korea, Koreans school teachers will teach English grammar in KOREAN! The fact is, if you SPEAK correctly, you will WRITE correctly. Think about it...when you write, you are 'speaking' to yourself. My advice would be to offer conversational English training...and PLEASE do NOT offer this FREE!!!!
My last academy had 47 students who each paid $35,000 EACH for a nine month program! I understand that you are a missionary and may wish to use English as one of your outreach tools (which is how I began teaching over 11 years ago), BUT when teaching is offered free, I have found that it is not appreciated and/or absorbed.
ghost

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Quote:
BUT when teaching is offered free, I have found that it is not appreciated and/or absorbed.

If you give something for nothing to humans there is a type of cognitive disconnect in which you think what is given free is of lesser value/importance.

Even when giving 'free' tennis lessons to kids in Harlem, Arthur Ashe charged a nominal fee ($3 u.s.) because that gave some legitimacy to the cause.

In many countries in Asia, you will have 'friends' want to practive their English with you under the pretext of friendship. You are free to charge them, if you think they are taking advantage of you.

Ghost in Korea
American English pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ghost!
Glad to see we (once again) agree! Very Happy
eslstudies

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me why Korean students spend time in The Phillipines? I have two in Australia who spent a year there. To give them credit, their English is miles ahead of their Japanese and Chinese peers.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eslstudies wrote:
Can someone tell me why Korean students spend time in The Phillipines? I have two in Australia who spent a year there. To give them credit, their English is miles ahead of their Japanese and Chinese peers.

Koreans are obsessed with English, and the Philippines is a very cheap country compared to U.S./Canada/Australia/NZ/UK/Ireland/S.Africa to apply what English they've learned.

The Philippines is a very English-friendly country, most things are in English, and most Filipinos can easily converse in English as well.

---

To the OP. Unfortunately not only do Koreans already know grammar VERY WELL. Give them any worksheet, and you'll see them answer it 100% without problem. They also study vocab relentlessly.

However, they just aren't able to apply the grammar that they already know. I just correct them over an over and over and over again in the classroom. Plus I'll run exercises where i'll ask simple questions in English, and they have to write down the answer using correct grammar (this helps them think about it more, as well as I can correct them on paper hoping it sticks in their memory).

Well, those are a few suggestions anyways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: