Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey Girls(and others)!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BethMac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, John.
nomadder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird. A whole new form(forum:)) of delayed, stress-free communication is taking over. Email and even pmail(aka text messaging). I think I'll pass on the picture cell phones though.
foster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the phone and instant messenger is saving me a TON of money with me being in Hong Kong and my friends and family being in Canada. yeah, sometimes I wish *some* people would not message me, but I can block them.... Razz

It is New year and I feel the need to at least hear people's voices. I miss that so much. This time last year, I was home with all of them and this year, I am in Hong Kong, so the phone or instant messenger is saving my sanity! Mr. Green
denise

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BethMac wrote:
I hate talking on the phone. Rolling Eyes

Me too. Phone conversations lack both the face-to-faceness of in-person conversations and the ability to think/plan/edit that e-mail messages allow.

d
BethMac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another stereotype disproved. Wink
guest of Japan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's disproved yet as the only ladies who have said they don't like the phone are also heavy posters on this cafe, which was the basis of my reasoning as to why Dave's is so male dominated.
Canuck2112

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, telephone conversations and emails pale in comparison to an actual face-to-face conversation. Of course they are necessary in a foreign country if you want to contact your loved ones back home, but I'd give anything to actually SEE my friends talking rather than hearing them with a 1 second delay on my Keitai. I try to avoid emails whenever possible. I don't like having the ability to edit out/rearrange all the things I have to say. It isn't natural IMO. Occasionally (well, often) using incorrect grammar and/or spitting out drunken sentence fragments makes face to face communication so much more "real" to me. I feel distanced on the phone or on the computer. The more "in touch" I become with MSN messenger/ICQ/etc, the more isolated I feel.

Just to break another stereotype, I'm male and can't stand gadgets. My keitai (cell phone) in particular...what's the deal with this thing? Yeah it's got the typical phone/camera combo, but a whole slew of other things as well that I can't possibly understand. I swear one of these days I'll press a button and the damn thing will start spitting out Julliene fries and giving me advice.
BethMac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying our opinions don't count, g-of-J? Females who post on Dave's are not good representatives of our gender for some obscure reason? Please elaborate.
guest of Japan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in no way saying that your opinions don't count.

My basic argument was that the majority of heavy posters on internet forums don't like to communicate on the phone, but do like to communicate.

Most of the heavy posters on Dave's are men. Deductive reasoning combined with the common stereotype leads me to believe leads me to believe that men are more likely to post, while women are more likely to call someone.

The reason I said the stereotype is not yet disproved is because you share a characteristic with men in that you like to post, but don't like the phone. To me it would seem that in this situation you and Denise are exceptions to the stereotype.
nomadder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: