Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Algeria
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muslim expat wrote:
Yes I went to her father and asked. This is how we do this in Islam. See I said this stuff was not normal for todays ways but I am comfortable and happy with the procedure and the answer from dad. But we digress! This is a forum for teaching English to speakers of other languages. The monitor will think I am using it to shock people. Laughing I am happy to answer any questions about my beliefs by personal email. My address is here so feel free to ask though I am a better English teacher than a scholar of Islam. If I can't answer any question I will say so and possibly ask a local Imam if I have the time and the question is interesting. Just no questions about the wedding night please Embarassed !

I did this, and I'm not even Muslim! Smile
yamina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Algeria - Salaam! Reply with quote

Asalaam alaikum and hi!

I'm very interested in hearing from people working in Algeria - mahdiyyah and Muslim expat, how's it going?! I'm married to an Algerian and visit the country every year, and alhamdulilah I always have a great time! I'm teaching English in a private language school in the UK, but my husband and I may relocate to Algeria, inshallah within the next year or two. I'd love to hear all about your experiences in English schools/universities there. It's an amazing country with great food, wonderful people and very confusing infrastructure - it really helps you appreciate life and see things in a new way!

Take care,

Yamina
Longton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a few months in Algiers in 1990 and had appalling food. Even the so-called best restaurants offered poor quality food and service. I can't think of any memorable meals. If you want decent food then head west to Morocco.
yamina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Algerian food! Reply with quote

Greetings Longton!

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience of food in Algeria! I don't know what the food was like back then, but these days it's great - chwerma, pizza, mincemeat sandwiches, mahajeb, chorba, couscous...............

If I'm out, I always eat at little local places which are cheap with little choice - I love the food (mincemeat and eggs in french bread etc!!!!), but it's certainly not like the restaurants and eateries in Morocco or Tunisia, as the tourist trade isn't the same.

I would say though that, like many places in the world, you get far better treats if you stay with Algerian families!! With my in-laws I've learnt to cook couscous, chorba (soup), lots of different breads and stews and things. I now cook this kind of food a lot at home in sunny England. Unfortunately the fruit, veg and herbs aren't quite as good as they are in Algeria, where most food is seasonal and tastes great!

Anyway, I hope you have more luck with food in your travels these days, and if you're ever in Algeria again, I'm sure you'll find the food has improved!!

Happy travels!
yamina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: ......and!! Reply with quote

Sorry Longton, I was in such a dream world thinking about food, I forgot to ask you if you enjoyed Algeria, what you thought of it, whether you were working etc etc!!!!
Longton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Algeria for about 4 months in late 1990. I did a lot of travelling including a wonderful weekend in Tamanrasset in the deep south. The shops were poorly stocked with food items and shortages occurred all the time, even of basic items. I used to go to the Carthage restaurant a lot which had OK ish food and service. Later I spent some time in Morocco which I enjoyed a lot. My house was in Hydra.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: