Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary info for Egypt?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiawatha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Salary info for Egypt? Reply with quote

Hi
I'd like to know salary and benefits one could expect with a MA Tesol, with 14 years experience in EFL in Middle east, Korea, and US at the college level. Thank you.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best shot in Egypt is American University of Cairo, though a new British University has also opened. I'll let Veiled Sentiments speak to salaries. Word on the street is the AUC is hiring a lot of teachers for a new location opening up outside of Cairo. Anyone else heard this? A friend of mine just attended a conference at AUC, and this was spoken about extensively. I'd be curious to know if they'll be taking more expat hires, as a result.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually AUC is in the process of moving to it fancy new campus which has been under construction for quite a few years now. You can check it out on their website. I suspect that many of the long time teachers will choose not to make the move. (Like me, they likely love the old campus and it would add to their commutes). If so, this will mean that they may be adding more new teachers this year. They also not long ago put a limit on the number of times a contract can be renewed because people tend to stay forever. So, some teachers have probably hit this level. It is an unusual year if they have to hire as many as 2 new teachers. Laughing So, this year may be unusual, but I suspect that it will still be very competitive.

The pay at AUC is based completely on your experience. I spent an hour in admin combing through my CV. Your experience should get you high on their scale. One drawback is that the pay is partially in dollars and partially in local currency - which has no value. But, once you have your work visa, you can use that money to pay for air tickets, and of course, for travel in country. Some use it to invest in gold and carpets. They automatically send your dollars to your US account if you prefer... and in one semester I sent enough to buy a new car... end of model year sales, but still. Another benefit - IMHO - is that they do US social security, which is a benefit if you are over 40.

Benefits are the usual... tickets... health insurance... nice furnished flat. But, they take MUCH better care of their teachers than employers in the Gulf do. That is partially due to the fact that Egypt is more difficult bureaucracy to deal with. All the hand-holding is great for people with no ME experience as many of the their professors tend to be. Those of us with ME experience feel quite coddled. Laughing

To be honest, AUC is about the only game in town for an American teacher with an MA. According to the British university website, you need to be either Egyptian or British.

VS
Hiawatha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Salary info for Egypt? Reply with quote

thanks everyone for your info.

VS: Regarding benefits, do they pay a gratuity? How is it calculated?
Thanks so much for your response.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure on that one. I was always on local hire.

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless AUC does their own gratuity (never heard of this being the case), then I wouldn't expect one in Egypt.
Hiawatha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Salary info for Egypt? Reply with quote

VS: Would you or anyone happen to know the age requirement. I am 57. Thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly people there who are older than that, but not sure if there is an official rule at first contract. I suspect that your credentials are the key. Just apply and see what happens. Laughing The worst they can do is say no.

VS
Flying Scotsman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: BUE hirings. Reply with quote

BUE will only hire those with British passport - all others get 'local hire' conditions, which isn't much. Many of the current 'Egyptian' staff have American or Canadian passports, but still only qualify for the local hire package. Salary is ok for an EFL teacher with MA, but for other academics, you can get a better deal elsewhere. Current BUE British salaries range from �16 - 26k p.a. + LE3,000 per month for housing. Not bad when you consider the US dollar is weak and most other currencies are pegged, so if you are paid in local, you'll be paid less than BUE pays. However, conditions are not good.......... (say no more)
amanir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: BUE Hiring Reply with quote

Flying Scotsman and all,

I noticed your post about BUE.. I would like to know more about it really. Its scary you sounded a bit negative . is this because of your personal experience or what. I could do with some help with more information. I am about to start applying for jobs in universities in Cairo. I am British but still haven't finished my MA dissertation in TESOL with 13 years experience. so do I stand a chance? I know that AUC will ask for the MA in the first place.
Flying Scotsman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: BUE and all that.... Reply with quote

cccccccccccc
egyptfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, conditions are not good.......... (say no more)

Please do say more....... conditions ? ..... salaries delayed or not paid, very large classes? ... please elaborate
Alfie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Salary in Egypt Reply with quote

Anybody know what is a very comfortable salary in Egypt for an EFL teacher who gets housing? Is 30K decent or excellent?
egyptfan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30K what? Egyptian pounds per year, 30K $, or 30K?? Otherwise, it's difficult to answer. Still waiting to hear from anyone with thoughts, experiences or info about BUE. Thanks
Alfie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Salary in Egypt Reply with quote

Ooops, sorry. I meant $30K (USD). Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: