Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Certification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Russell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Teaching Certification Reply with quote

I recently acquired an MA TESOL at California State University. I am interested in receiving a teaching credential. Any suggestion on how this can be achieved while in Korea? Are there ways of getting the credential without being in the States? Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. If you have a personal attack, please do this directly. Thank you

Last edited by Robert Russell on Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: teacher cert Reply with quote

Are there correspondence courses that could teach me the difference between "their" and "there" ?
inmexico

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is THERE a course that would enable me to practice my spelling WHILE I am abroad?
At risk of seeming "nit-picky", I think that people should take the time to at least somewhat edit their postings. Yes, typing errors will occur but WHILTS is something that just aggrevates me. To avoid criticism and actually receive answers to your questions, I would suggest closer attention be paid to at least seeming educated.
I realize that teaching ESL courses doesn�t always require the highest degree of education.....maybe the bar should be set higher.
Robert Russell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Scott and IMMEXICO thank you forn your insights it will make me more cautious in the future. Thank you

"Yes, typing errors will occur but WHILTS is something that just AGGREVATES me."

I will not say anything about your spelling. Very Happy
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be nit-picky...could one of you two retentives please show me a study that equates spelling with intelligence.

To be even more nit-picky...why don't you take the time to criticize and answer the question then people wouldn't take you as someone with nothing to add to the world but your own personal nits.

As a teacher, you should know that there is little correlation between spelling and any other ability to communicate in English. Having a poor memory or being slightly dsylexic or just tired when you type has nothing to do with intelligence.

I agree the bar should be raised, but I don't Robert is the person who should be standing in front of it when it is measured.

Quick edit...

Sorry Robert, I don't know how you can get certified. Each state has different qualifications. Contact your local school district. If you are overseas, then contact the district where you used to live. There may be some courses you have to take or a test. Each state and province is different.
Celeste

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the MEd course from the University of Phoenix. At the time I was looking at it, it was accepted in Arizona for teaching credentials, but I don't know if it still is. I know that in my home province of British Columbia, Canada, the college of teachers specifically states that correspondence courses are not acceptable in lieu of regular teacher training with a practicum. Check out the minimum credentials required in the state you want to teach in- it's different all over the US.
Robert Russell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Where are the moderators? Reply with quote

Why are personal attacks allowed on this board?
Sherri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on which state you want to teach in, but still I have never heard of long distance certification since you need teaching practice (that doesn't mean it doesn't exist). Try this website, the national clearinghouse for teaching. There is a lot of information and tons of links. You might find something. Some states are really desperate for teachers and are going out of their way to help them get certified.

http://www.recruitingteachers.org/index.html
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: personal attacks Reply with quote

"Personal Attacks" ? Go and have a look at the Korean Forum. Wow !!!!!
Robert Russell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: I don't think one justifies the other Reply with quote

Yes there are many personal attacks on the other board.
chienkun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: teaching credential in CA Reply with quote

Hi Robert,
I'm a former ESL teacher now working on my teaching credential in California. Let me tell you, its not a simple process and includes certain testing that you could not do abroad. You could, however, get accepted to a credential program and do a fair amount of courses online - while living abroad. This would have to be done through private schools such as National University, or University of Pheonix - I would do some thorough research on this if I were you. I don't think the Cal State schools could help you on this - it's the schools that are geared toward working professionals that could. Oh, and I assume you are talking about getting a credential for teaching in California since you went to Cal State.

So, in short, you could get a nice chunk of your work done while abroad - certain courses completed online, etc...But it would still be difficult as the courses may need you to observe classes or student teach.
good luck, and let me know if you have further questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: