Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cairo Help!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcurrie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Cairo Help!! Reply with quote

Hi. I intend on moving to Cairo sometime this summer to teach English. Unfortunately, I am not a seasoned traveler and have never taught English before, although I have been a TA for other languages. I have a friend who lives there, so she will be able to help me out with cultural information, but what I'm worried about are other things, like attaining a job. I know most of the international schools are out of my reach without a B.Ed, or previous experience. So what I need an opinion on is this: should I just go to Cairo and apply for positions when I get there? Or should I secure a position before I leave? Where do I start? I'm wary of flying half-way around the world with a hope of being hired, but if highly recommended, I won't fear it. I'm open to challenges and change; I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Michelle
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess that with no related education (no CELTA nor TEFL cert either?) or experience, there is no employer that would hire you from outside the country. I would suggest that you get at least a CERT of some kind (preferably CELTA) before you go.

In your situation I would not be highly optimistic about finding a job very quickly. Be sure to bring or have access to enough money to support yourself for a few months and pay for the flight home if you are unsuccessful.

VS
mcurrie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am TESOL certified, and I have already graduated from university, if that helps.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second VS on this, mcurrie. You chances are quite slim-especially during the summer. So few places hire for work in the summer months. K-12 institutions who run summer school usually have no problem finding teachers on staff to take these jobs. Language academies that hire foreigners have a very limited budget, and rarely hire from the outside when they do hire a native speaker. Egypt is very much unlike the Spain-the latter having a language institute on every street corner.

I do see Sakkara Language School is hiring-likely for a September start. I'm sure they'l hire you w/ a TESOL cert and BA. They'd even reimburse you for your flight-1/2 in the beginning of the year and 1/2 at the end of the contract.
mcurrie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My intention would be to start work in September, before if possible, but not necessary. I planned on doing some traveling before then.
I've heard a lot of negative comments about Sakkara school, so I'm not sure about them, although their advertisements don't sound all that bad.
I'm beginning to get the feeling that ppl do not recommend me doing this there. I hope that I will have a chance to prove that feeling wrong, but I don't know what the tide will bring me.
Thanks to all who responded, and if anyone has more advice, I'd love to hear it.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends worked at Sakkara...not all that bad. Choueifat is another option for someone w/ your credentials. I'm afraid you can't afford to be to picky in most countries given your papers and experience. I would strongly recommend you try and secure employment before going. If you do go, be sure to tell Sakara or Choueifat that you're "visiting" and will require an expat contract when the topic comes up.
mcurrie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be if I got the job prior to going? Or after? (that I'd need to tell them about getting an expat contract)
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you apply from outside the country, do not mention that you're "coming to Cairo." It is assumed that you're an expat hire if you do this stuff before going. If you end up applying from w/in Egypt, then tell them you're visiting.
mcurrie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mishmumkin... If mcurrie is applying within Egypt for immediate hire, that would be an automatic local hire, yes?

So, the key for you McC is that when you apply in country, say that you are a tourist applying for August and September and be sure to use a US address.

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, you could get hired as an expat in the country but it's all about how bad they need you, how qualified you are, and how you present yourself in terms of availability. If you let someone know that you're living there and will be there indefinitely, it makes you look like a local hire. I've known many people who were hired w/in Egypt as expats w/ Choueifat. If you present yourself as a visitor considering a move, you've got a better chance. I would suspect that Sakkara is the same, too.

That said, there are a lot of 'decent' schools that would look at your residence in Cairo as a costsaver...offering you less money and benefits for a job as a sub or teaching assistant...maybe even as a teacher.
charleen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: teaching in Egypt Reply with quote

I have lived in Egypt for over 6 years and found that getting teaching jobs with at least an Associates degree are easy enough to get. I have even worked at some nice schools and I do not have a college degree. Also there is the idea of working in a preschool until you find a school that will hire you. If you want work for september then you should look in the spring so that you have a set place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Charleen says is true enough for a local hire. Charleen, what was the highest salary you were offered, if I may ask? This gives the OP something to compare.
charleen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: salary for teachers Reply with quote

A year ago i recieved 5,000LE. If you have 2 years of university or more then you of course can work at better schools for more money. There is the Cairo American College which is like working at a school in America and they pay in dollars. Some British schools still pay in sterling(great exchange rate!) Anyway, for a single person living in Maadi 5,000Le or more is a great salary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charleen, to live in Maadi on 5000 LE is fine...if you have a place to live. Accommodation in Maadi is through the roof these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: