Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turkish Daily News vs Today's Zaman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Turkish Daily News vs Today's Zaman Reply with quote

Which of these two English language papers do you read? I have noticed that the former is freely available in a lot of places and has been the one that most xpats know about and read. The other one is less well known and has been on the market for only a short time, less than 2 years I think. As it leans on the side of the ruling party it seems to be only read by those who support the AK party, or perhaps this is an overgeneralization. Still I try to read both if I can, I think thats the best way to get a balanced perspective of whats really happenning in Turkey.
Comments, opinions, even if you don't buy a normal English rag (they are so expensive) these two at least give some insight. I think another paper does have an online English version, don't which one though.
mechanicalturk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an expat who worked as a copy editor at Today's Zaman for a while. Without going into details, I will say that it is less a newspaper than a public relations vehicle for the AK Party and, more importantly, the Fethullah Gulen movement. My former editor-in-chief would frequently push people to fudge the facts in order to make secularists look bad and religious Turks look good (for example, during last year's protests against Erdogan's presidency in Izmir, which brought in over a million people, he told the writer to reduce the turnout number to something unbelievably low).

P.S. -- it's no secret English Time and Today's Zaman are run by the same folks. If you buy a copy of Today's Zaman you will find an English practice section on the last page, complete with a logo of English Time on the bottom. Why on earth would a newspaper aimed at native or fluent English speakers have a page on English practice? Simple -- they are marketing themselves to be used in the classrooms of English Time. So remember kids -- read Today's Zaman with a massive grain of salt. Turkish Daily News isn't perfect, but it wins in journalistic credibility hands down and isn't run by an international religious movement. You don't read the Washington Times in America so why read Today's Zaman here?

OK, that's all from me. Flame on, Fethullah apologists.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a personal axe to grind my mechancial friend, but anyone who hates smoking enough to start banning it gets my vote everytime.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it's no secret English Time and Today's Zaman are run by the same folks. If you buy a copy of Today's Zaman you will find an English practice section on the last page, complete with a logo of English Time on the bottom. Why on earth would a newspaper aimed at native or fluent English speakers have a page on English practice? Simple -- they are marketing themselves to be used in the classrooms of English Time. So remember kids -- read Today's Zaman with a massive grain of salt. Turkish Daily News isn't perfect, but it wins in journalistic credibility hands down and isn't run by an international religious movement. You don't read the Washington Times in America so why read Today's Zaman here?

Yeah, but Turkish Daily News has the same thing on their last page too and it's done by EF. EF and TDN aren't in bed together- it's just seen as a way for EF to advertise and for TDN to get wider distribution. I don't know what the relationship between Today's Zaman and English Time and the AKP and whoever else, but I will admit to buying the Sunday Zaman every few weeks because I find it to be a well written counterbalance to TDN, with some interesting and insightful articles. I'm a pretty skeptical person and I didn't find Zaman at all propaganda-ish. I think the truth lies somewhere in between the two newspapers' viewpoints.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Yaramaz ,I feel pretty much the same.
Laura777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read both but prefer Todays Zaman for its content and articles. Its more like a New York Times type of newspaper.

Has anyone noticed that in the English section of Todays Zaman at the bottom where they put the common words in British English and American English, that they are mixing them up? For example: dirt road was written to be British English and unmade road was American English! I never in America have heard or said 'unmade road'... Or Tap for faucet which is used in the States.

I have been observing this for 1 week and everyday they are confusing the 2. Is it a typo or someone s crewing up??

Smile
Laura777

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again today they made an error in the British English - American English common words section...

Don't they have any one who proof reads these sections?
Nebbich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Another ex-sub Reply with quote

For my sins I did some copy editing at TZ. I can tell you that the crew I worked with were great, but we were the yabanci ghetto. Even one great American Muslim girl was treated with disdain and constantly applalled by the un-Islamic practices present.
Anyway, no matter how well the copy is checked it can, and is, changed by others...especially the mad 'Nigerian' sports editor who has driven out excellent copy editors and who once admitted that English was not his first, or even second, language.
Give it a miss...send your money to Hizbullah instead!
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, in the light of all that has happened in the last year or so, do the posters still have the same views?
I'm thinking about the comment of the AKP, TZ, and the hizmet movement being in bed together, still feel the TZ is the better read of the two!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: