Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unis in Brazil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlarcheuk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Unis in Brazil Reply with quote

Hi Gang-

I'm a first-timer today on this thread. Thanks for the info I have just read.

I'm a university professor and former Fulbright Scholar to Ukraine with a PhD, etc., and I've become interested in teaching in a university in Brazil, preferably in Fortaleza. Anyone have any contacts in the Departments or Deans of Humanities, Languages, Arts? My advanced degrees are in Oral English, Dramatic and Creative Writing, Education and Theatre, and I also taught ESL in Ukraine and to Mexican and Hmong communities in the USA.

BTW I'm 59- is that too old for the Brazilian uni system? Will appreciate any comments or contacts.

Thanks much!
Extraordinary Rendition

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a university instructor with only an MA TEFL, not a former Fulbright Scholar, but with 10 years TEFL/TESL and language teacher-training experience, and only 51 Laughing, and I would be happy to teach anywhere in the north of Brazil (where it stays warm Wink ). Is this even possible, given the work permit situation? Any advice or ideas? (Not trying to hijack the thread, only piggy-back Wink ...)
brucecrawford

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unis in Brazil Reply with quote

[size=7][quote="dlarcheuk"]Hi Gang- I've become interested in teaching in a university in Brazil, preferably in Fortaleza. [/size]

[size=12]Your best bet would be to try one of the private universities in northern Brazil. You will need to have a Permanent Residency Visa and a work permit. Get in touch with a Brazilian consulate in your home country (or where you are currently residing) and ask for info on types of visa. Do not attempt to teach on a holiday visa in Brazil.

Once you have a visa to Brazil (and a permit to work), you will have to validate your qualifications. That means contacting a federal university and submitting your original degree certificates, transcripts and detailed syllabuses of each course taken along with notarised translations (into Portuguese) of all your qualifications. It is a lengthy process locally known as 'convalida��o de diplomas estrangeiros'.

It might be easier if the Brazilian university of your choice has exchange agreements with an institution of higher education in your home country: you could come as a visiting professor.

I hope this helps.

Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: