Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Zealand "attraction"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solareyna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: New Zealand "attraction" Reply with quote

I couldn't figure out how best to say this but it seems like NZ is really trying hard to get people over there to live and work. I always feel a little wary about something that is pushing so hard for foreigners to come. Is there also a huge influx of Americans/Canadians into NZ? What is the work market like? My husband and I were looking into teaching ESL but now he is thinking he might finish his PhD in NZ while I work. Any advice/experience on living and working in NZ?
Meleefracas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasons why NZ is trying hard to get skilled migrants over here:

Small workforce;
Shortage of skilled workers in certain areas (e.g. IT);
Current or recent education and training in NZ possibly not up to world standards.

Salaries/wages are relatively low here, and living costs can be high (especially accommodation costs in the larger cities).

More info. on http://www.immigration.govt.nz/
solareyna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Current or recent education not up to world's standards"

I am curious about this - do you think a PhD earned in New Zealand would not be comparable to a PhD earned elsewhere?
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solareyna wrote:
"Current or recent education not up to world's standards"

I am curious about this - do you think a PhD earned in New Zealand would not be comparable to a PhD earned elsewhere?

If you're talking "name" PhD's then no, except in certain areas/departments where they have a world reputation. But that's the same all over the world. If you're accepting that's it's not a name degree then IMO a NZ PhD is better than the vast majority of PhD's out of North America.

The reality is, that while NZ universities have been working hard to turn themselves into US-style institutions (and lowering quality for the last twenty years) the average is still much higher than the North American average.
dialogger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign PhD students study at local fee (subsidised) rates in NZ I understand.
Any children are also schooled free in state schools if parent is a PhD candidate.
Spouse also has no work restrictions.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dialogger wrote:
Any children are also schooled free in state schools if parent is a PhD candidate.

You don't actually know anything about NZ, do you?
dialogger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope but then I can use the internet
Check this out
http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?layout=document&documentid=10874

Scroll down for the bits about rights of chidren and spouse re free schooling and work permit.
dialogger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you've read my post CI - anything further to add about NZ conditions for foreign PhD candidates?
dialogger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be GCthulhu
nomad22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: correct Reply with quote

dialogger wrote:

this is in fact correct![/u]
Cubic09

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meleefracas wrote:
Current or recent education and training in NZ possibly not up to world standards.

Rubbish! Our universities foot it with the best of them, and are also very affordable. I don't know if you've ever been to NZ, if so you're in for a shock - university courses are very popular with foreigners, for the reasons I have already outlined.

Unless you're comparing with Ivy League, you are way off base!
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that Canadians often do OFF-CAMPUS degrees from universities in Australia or New Zealand in TESOL while living in other countries. The reason is simple: there are basically none in Canada available off-campus other than at two "Christian" universities (there's a stigma against that in Canada because people are worried about coming across as having a hidden motive to convert the international masses- especially if the Canadian is from a highly multi-cultural city) which cost around the same as a degree from a degree from a university in Australia or New Zealand.

Canadians normally do off-campus masters degrees with universities in other Commonwealth countries rather than the US because university credentials from inner-circle English speaking Commonwealth countries are widely accepted. The US has a reputation in Canada as having a lot of private universities that aren't accepted in Canada, so it just makes more sense to do the degree elsewhere.

UK universities are much more expensive, leading people to say that they are better than New Zealand's or Australia's universities. There is also some snobbery about the UK somehow having higher status than Australia or New Zealand (and, for Americans choosing schools out of their country, Canada, too).

Some Canadian are now also doing their B.Ed / PGCE in New Zealand, Australia or the UK as well. Applying for a one year B.Ed in Ontario, Canada is something that almost everyone who does their degree in English etc does. There are very few places for B.Ed students in the province, (but now thanks to restructuring retirement rules, there are not a whole lot of jobs either) and so competition to get in for some teachables is ridiculous.

As for New Zealand trying to get people to actually go there to work, it only makes sense. Many countries are trying to up their immigration because of aging populations. If New Zealand is targeting North Americans, it's because they are seen as easy immigrants- culturally very similar, already know the language, etc. It's marketing by a country that has suddenly become famous in North America because of the Lord of the Rings movies (for its scenery). If you don't think that's enough to get North Americans to move to the opposite side of the planet, show up to Toronto or Ottawa in the middle of winter (where salaries are low and living expenses high as well) and you'll see.
Cubic09

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're thinking about teaching, check out: www.teachnz.co.nz - there are a multitude of positions available for teachers, and the Government provides a lot of support for them too. Gosh, I might even take up teaching myself!! Embarassed
hellionzap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Warning Reply with quote

Before you even start to consider the education you may or may not receive in NZ, do yourself a BIG favour and check out this website very carefully. Just google "expat exposed" and read what so many Americans, Brits, Canadians, etc have said about their choice to move to NZ. I was there for 16 years and though I worked (tefl for 9 years)) at a good school with decent people, I was extremely lucky. NZ likes to boast about a lot of things but the people's culture of the majority there is unpleasant, to say the least. I've stopped trying to explain it to anyone as they have their own little dream of the lovely "clean, green" islands of the LOTR. I was NEVER so glad to get out of a place than I was to leave NZ. Yes, it is heartbreakingly beautiful, but it will wound you and depress you and bring you down to it's level if you don't have lots and lots of money to come and go as you please. Check out the culture of the people (and I do NOT mean museums and theatre) and their lifestyle choices before you bother with the educational pluses and minuses. Do not listen to what Kiwis say about their country.....they are quite pleased with themselves, but do pay attention to what outsiders have come up against.
keitepai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a kiwi - You are so right!
It is unbelievable the image NZ'ers try to create, in reality it is a sad, depressing and negative place full of people that are selfish and narrow minded. Nice scenery tho Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: