Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meddling

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grab-bag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Meddling Reply with quote

VS. Your favorite role, the all knowing superior busybody. Meddling again, are you? You just can't leave these posters alone, can you? Just like in the old days in Q8. Always the interferring know it all, desperate to have the last say on everything and everybody. The day you reluctantly left Q8 to fulfil your family duty, some people actually had a 'good riddance' toast. When was that? 12 -14 years ago? How is it you know everything that's happening now? Only from your PM old boys network.
You had a reputation for messing people up in Q8 and at HCT. Granted, you often dispense good advice but cut out the acid tongued commentary, will you? What's with you and a certain university in Qatar? Do you actually believe everything the PMers tell you? From what you write, it seems as if you actually support the toxic management style of a certain director. The question that comes to mind is "why?". Have you ever worked there? What makes you the expert? Having worked with this individual at this place almost 2 decades ago, I know exactly where he's coming from. His hard-nosed, manipulative, controlling & inconsiderate way of dealing with people hasn't changed. Leopards never change their spots. Do you know this person personally? Or are you just relying on his crew of PMers and spies who have probably been asked to contact you? It's pretty clear that ruthless control is your management style of preference. Don't you have anything better to do than to surf these boards day & night and night & day? You never wanted to leave the Gulf but duty called and now you just can't let go so you keep your finger in the pie by almost daily commentaries. Let people have their say. You always have your say. If people feel miserable and want to warn others off a place, let them do it. You enjoy warning people off, let others do it if they feel like it. You berate people for personal attacks but you are guilty of the same tactics. Aren't you tired of meddling? Enjoy your retirement. Get a life. Do some gardening, join a golf club but stop attacking people. Stick to your Dear Abby routine and stop being Jerry Springer.
spicegirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: meddling Reply with quote

... nasty stuff, grab-bag. I'm not sure which topic in particular you're referring to, but if it's about QU, then there are plenty of other people who echo VS's comments.

Personally, I'm interested in both sides of the QU discussion.
toughcookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true VS hasn't lived nor worked in the region for over a decade and yet she claims to know how things are now, thanks to her "sources". It is annoying to have someone who is not here - and never actually worked at QU - dispense her "wisdom". A little more empathy for people who are on the negative side of the issues wouldn't hurt. This is not a popularity contest, but you have to give people the benefit of the doubt, don't you? Berating people for their writing style isn't helping either, especially when they have something to say. C'mon, VS, show a little more tolerance! Laughing
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear grab-bag,
I've been a regular of this site for many years and have read most of VS's postings.
In my opinion, she consistently gives good information and advice, a rare commodity.
You seem to have an personal animus towards her for some reason, so here's a suggestion: why not just stop reading her posts?
Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone needs a hobby. Mine is shooting down the immature, the BS'ers and the sockpuppets on this board (...like Redsoxman/Harry the hook person).

I only 'attack' the attackers who give unbalanced advice. For instance, I have never once claimed that QU has grand management... from what I read and hear from people there, it sounds typical of the Gulf. What I call a mid-range employer... not an AUS/ZU.HCT, but also not ADU/MLI/TQLS (ie usually tolerable for a contract or two)

VS
(toughcookie... as far as I understand 'over a decade' means over ten years... you're off by quite a bit... nearly 40%)

Last edited by veiledsentiments on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've exchanged emails (not PMs) with 2 people at QU who teach in the foundation programme. All roses? No, but there are some big exaggerations that have been made on this board by at least one person: the number of people who've left this year, the reports that teachers are asked to fill out, and the number of contact hours.

Anyone who spends some time reading Redsoxman's and harry the hook's posts sees a familiar pattern. Notice that neither of them have come back to comment....shock surprise.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Meddling Reply with quote

grab-bag wrote:
VS. Your favorite role, the all knowing superior busybody. Meddling again, are you? You just can't leave these posters alone, can you? Just like in the old days in Q8. Always the interferring know it all, desperate to have the last say on everything and everybody. The day you reluctantly left Q8 to fulfil your family duty, some people actually had a 'good riddance' toast. When was that? 12 -14 years ago? How is it you know everything that's happening now? Only from your PM old boys network.
You had a reputation for messing people up in Q8 and at HCT. Granted, you often dispense good advice but cut out the acid tongued commentary, will you? What's with you and a certain university in Qatar? Do you actually believe everything the PMers tell you? From what you write, it seems as if you actually support the toxic management style of a certain director. The question that comes to mind is "why?". Have you ever worked there? What makes you the expert? Having worked with this individual at this place almost 2 decades ago, I know exactly where he's coming from. His hard-nosed, manipulative, controlling & inconsiderate way of dealing with people hasn't changed. Leopards never change their spots. Do you know this person personally? Or are you just relying on his crew of PMers and spies who have probably been asked to contact you? It's pretty clear that ruthless control is your management style of preference. Don't you have anything better to do than to surf these boards day & night and night & day? You never wanted to leave the Gulf but duty called and now you just can't let go so you keep your finger in the pie by almost daily commentaries. Let people have their say. You always have your say. If people feel miserable and want to warn others off a place, let them do it. You enjoy warning people off, let others do it if they feel like it. You berate people for personal attacks but you are guilty of the same tactics. Aren't you tired of meddling? Enjoy your retirement. Get a life. Do some gardening, join a golf club but stop attacking people. Stick to your Dear Abby routine and stop being Jerry Springer.

You're acting like a stalker grabbag. You said over on the Kuwait forum earlier this month:

Quote:
I am having a very positive work experience here. I used to work at the University of Qatar English Unit. It was, in my day, a great place to work but the salaries were really low, so I quit. I thought I could never find as good a work environment as the one I left behind at U of Q. (Our Qatari director was a real doll.)

Whatever your beef w/ Veiled Sentiments is, clearly you see a big contradiction between what you know of QU and the sneaky posts that have been going up on this board in the last few months. Tell me you came over to this thread to share helpful information rather than blast VS because you don't like what she says.

I haven't been in the UAE for 3 1/2 years or Egypt for 6 years, yet I know many people still living and working in these countries. I post information they share (protects their anonymity) via these forums. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: