Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Left Saudi...can't come back for how many years?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Left Saudi...can't come back for how many years? Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that the amount of time you must stay out of KSA once you leave is 12 months? I remember it used to be 2 years but heard that the arab news legal section mentioned it was actually 12 months...

Then again will the Saudi Embassy in our countries even care and just keep insisting on 2 years?[/b]
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It''s never been two years but that is the figure the embassy uses. Of course with all the stamps Arab countries put in the passports plenty of people find thay are full, and they need to get a new one before they apply for another visa.

If you don't have your contract renewed it should be six months (though the 'Arab News' is now saying even that is not so, though I suspect you only don't need onw if the employer breaks the contract). If you choose not to renew the contact it's a year. If you were in a position of confidence and holding trade secrets, which doesn't apply to teachers, then the period is three years. It is also three years if you break your contract (and if you do that you are not supposed to work in any Gulf country for a year, though I have never known this last proviso to be applied).

I wouold photocopy the Arab News article, as sometimes the problem may be with your potential employer, who doesn't know the law.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of people planning to return to the Kingdom almost immediately following a departure, though i don't know how succesful they were.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the requirements, like so much else in KSA, are in reality much more flexible than they at first appear. I suppose it might depend on how much wasta your would-be employer has and on how much they need you.
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo:
You're quite right, a number of people do come straight back out to the Kingdom (almost always by changing the passport so as to erase any trace of having worked in the Kingdom before).

At the same time, if you held any sensitive position or left on bitter terms then many times your former employee will have you promptly kicked straight back out...and yes this has happened even to people who have come back under the sponsorship of some of the big princes!
Mark100

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can come back on a three month multi business visa and just keep on renewing it..nothing anyone can do about it...or lose your passport, or do the sensible thing and not come back at all ....
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark:
How does one get a three month multi business visa?
Orange U?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do *you* spell Wasta?

Employers can bring folks in on business visas if they have enough influence.

As for getting a business visa on ones own ... I don't personally know anyone who has done this: even if it's possible, I'm sure it's much easier for an influencial local to apply and receive the visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: