Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job feasability and getting a flatshare

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shwaap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Job feasability and getting a flatshare Reply with quote

Hi,All,
I am currently in Prague completing my TEFL certification .While I am thinking of staying here,I REALLY want to go to Romania to teach. I love Romania,having gone there at least 12 times since 2000. I am a Native English teacher from the US,and,though I have my certification,I don't have a university degree. Will that hurt my chances at finding work at a school? And,if the school thing isn't possible,what about my being able to do private lessons? Also,how difficult is it to find a flatshare in Bucharest? Thank you in advance for any and all responses.

Tony
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebsi and Mike 2007 are there.

Try here as well
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/we_love_romania/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RO-maniacs/
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

I'm afraid to say you'll have little chance of finding legal work being a US citizen and not having a degree. You can try some of the American private schools, they might find some way to employ you, but it's doubtful and if they did they'd be paying you a poor salary. You could try some of the charity organisations but some of those seem to be the 'pay to teach' kind of scam.

You'd certainly be able to get private lessons, especially if you have the right knowledge, attitude and people skills. The problem would be finding a way to stay in the country. One possibility might be to set up a company. I know a guy who started his own company and being the sole shareholder he was entitled to a residence permit. He wasn't technically allowed to work but... Wink

As for flatsharing, it's possible. A lot of students share flats as do people who've moved from the countryside for work. I'm not sure how you'd find such a place, but I know quite a few people who have shared and I'm sure you could find some people who'd be happy to share with a foreigner (free English practice and as you are 'rich' they'd be sure that they'd somehow save money). Rent is expensive these days so sharing is a popular solution.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Cheers,
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: